Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
He promised to deliver ventilators "only" to hospitals that needed them. "No" hospital in California ran short of ventilators, therefore none were delivered. "Journalism"

We all complain about the negative press, but honestly in the short term it might hurt the stock price but Musk is a household name now. Trump, some may argue, became president because of the media's addiction to bashing him. I think even negative press like this given enough time is good for Tesla.

Tesla should chose the exact same time, good way to make sure those “auto analysts” won’t show up in the call to waste everyone’s time.
/s
Elon tried that once, got pushback from analysts. Held the call an hr or so later instead. He got trolled by a Ford commercial a few days before. This forum responded to that advertisement strongly, and then musk pushed up the quarterly report in response UPDATE - Tesla Announces Date for Third Quarter 2018 Financial Results and Webcast | Tesla, Inc. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it :p p.s. I was the first one to point out the trolling by ford

We all complain about the negative press, but honestly in the short term it might hurt the stock price but Musk is a household name now. Trump, some may argue, became president because of the media's addiction to bashing him. I think even negative press like this given enough time is good for Tesla.

This might be one of those counterintuitive truths.

"Weirdly, all the negative press seems to increase sales!"
Elon Musk on Twitter

He was trying to make the point that it is a week later in the month than people predicted.

Say what now?
Any financial site with the 22nd as a place holder was poorly coded.
Given they like Wednesday, the 22nd would have been the earliest since before 2016 at least.
Bad estimates are bad.
Mongo estimates are bad, but at least based on data.
Are accounting firms essential?

They announce ~13 days ahead of time, and it is either the last Wednesday of the last full week, or the Wednesday of the split week.
So it will likely be April 29th. Unless Covid pushes it out to May 6th, but that is very late.

Q42019: Announced Jan 17 that it would be Jan 29
Q3: Oct 9 -> Oct 23
Q2:: Jul 11 -> July 24
Q1: April 11 -> April 24
Q4 2018: Jan 18 -> Jan 30
Q3: Oct 22???-> Oct 24
Q2: July 18 -> Aug 1
Q1: April 19 -> May 2
Telsa solved that long-standing problem by engineering the new Model Y heat pump design to include a local heating loop. This allows the heat pump to self-prime itself where other heat pumps fail to start the cycle due to cold temps. Once the heat pump is started and operating normally, it then continues to operate more efficiently than a resistive heater, even in cold temps.

Here's how Elon described the Model Y heat pump on the recent 3rd Row Podcast: (time index 5:18)

"The thing that's really interesting about the heat pump design is that it has a local heating loop. So heat pumps typically encounter issues around -10 to -20 C. They have a problem spooling up. Essentially they can't get going, the cycle can't get going.

"So the solution that the HVAC team came up with was to have a local heating loop. So the thing will basically just sort of spin itself up and get hot locally before opening another valve that then tries to heat the cabin.

"So a heat pump with a local loop. That local loop part is very important for low temperatures and that's where really I think a lot of heat pump designs fail is they don't have a local heating loop"​

Paging @mongo

Cheers!

Yeah, this is called out in the patent (US 2019 / 0070924 A1 paragraph 0113). The cabin condensor heats the air to the evaporator in a closed air loop. This, along with the mechanical compressor action, and optional compressor and blower inefficient drive mode, heat the cabin and refrigerant up which boosts the thermal capacity of the system.

Note, this does not boost cold weather coefficient of performance (COP) beyond 1 since that requires a heat source to draw from.

California Air Pollution Drops In Every County During Pandemic | CleanTechnica

"Californians have now been sheltering in place since March 20. While social distancing is slowing the spread of COVID-19, it’s also significantly reducing air pollutant and greenhouse gas levels across the state. Residents from San Diego to Sacramento are seeing clearer skies and breathing cleaner air, even in the center of cities that rarely experience a noticeable reduction in air pollution."​

h/t Caroline Parworth (orig. blog post)

Last edited:
He promised to deliver ventilators "only" to hospitals that needed them. "No" hospital in California ran short of ventilators, therefore none were delivered. "Journalism"

The linked Sac Bee article made me think that the non-delivery has more to do with the shortage being of the invasive vents (that Tesla is building), and what he ordered being the cheaper non-invasive BIPAP machines. Either way, the article really seemed to go after Elon for some reason before any clarity from Musk or Tesla was obtained.

• Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger
Elon tried that once, got pushback from analysts. Held the call an hr or so later instead. He got trolled by a Ford commercial a few days before. This forum responded to that advertisement strongly, and then musk pushed up the quarterly report in response UPDATE - Tesla Announces Date for Third Quarter 2018 Financial Results and Webcast | Tesla, Inc. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it :p p.s. I was the first one to point out the trolling by ford

First they ignore you.
Then they laugh at you.
Then they troll you with million-dollar advertising.
Then you bankrupt them.

Reverse summon coming this year. Elon Musk on Twitter
194461F7-CD2F-4992-B20B-98E9FB421675.jpeg

Telsa solved that long-standing problem by engineering the new Model Y heat pump design to include a local heating loop. This allows the heat pump to self-prime itself where other heat pumps fail to start the cycle due to cold temps. Once the heat pump is started and operating normally, it then continues to operate more efficiently than a resistive heater, even in cold temps.

Here's how Elon described the Model Y heat pump on the recent 3rd Row Podcast: (time index 5:18)

"The thing that's really interesting about the heat pump design is that it has a local heating loop. So heat pumps typically encounter issues around -10 to -20 C. They have a problem spooling up. Essentially they can't get going, the cycle can't get going.

"So the solution that the HVAC team came up with was to have a local heating loop. So the thing will basically just sort of spin itself up and get hot locally before opening another valve that then tries to heat the cabin.

"So a heat pump with a local loop. That local loop part is very important for low temperatures and that's where really I think a lot of heat pump designs fail is they don't have a local heating loop"​

There is also a resistive heater in the local heating loop for cold temperatures. But you didn't answer my question as to why you claimed the Model Y "won" when it used more electricity to melt less snow. No doubt, Tesla engineers used brilliant engineering to maximize effectiveness in cold weather but there's only so much they could do. The primary benefit of the heat pump is efficiency in milder weather.​