Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This doesn't sound like a good idea. Will be popular but first crash will make very negative headlines:

Elon Musk on Twitter

Pokemon Go whilst driving. You're going to have multiple kids in the back seat demanding their parents drive in different directions - left for Pikachu says the son, right for ice cream says the daughter...

Musk might be inspired by this:

In fact Google Map had similar ideas years ago:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/gaming/2015/03/31/pac-man-google/70715966/

This doesn't sound like a good idea. Will be popular but first crash will make very negative headlines:

Elon Musk on Twitter

Pokemon Go whilst driving. You're going to have multiple kids in the back seat demanding their parents drive in different directions - left for Pikachu says the son, right for ice cream says the daughter...

Sounds more like a comment on the soon the steering wheel will be removable allowing the entertainment stuff to be usable while driving

Hello everybody, new here... I am a Tesla fan, Tesla supporter, Tesla enthusiast and Tesla investor here (from Northern Europe, so excuse my non-perfect English...). However, I have a huge problem, and I am a bit desperate and I need suggestions from you all here! I have been investing in Tesla since 3-4 years, and I was very happy with the results of my investment. I have 100% invested in Tesla, because I believe that 10 years from now Tesla will be the leader in all car production worldwide... no doubts about that. The few dinosaur companies left will not be able to compete with the genius of Elon... however, the recent events have put a serious trouble in my offshore brokerage account. After the last ER and CC, I went all-in Tesla, borrowing half way my margin limits, during the surge AH on Wednesday... I thought that - if in the middle of a pandemic - Tesla is the only company that can post a juicy profit, an incredible YoY growth and is light ahead of the competition, the market will reward the share price, right? and in fact I was so happy, 10% up in AH and amazing expectations for the rest of the week... I was intending to hold the shares in margin for 2-3 weeks, and sell them after the run up to 1,000 or so (my personal target was 1,200 a share, following what happened last time Tesla showed amazing profit and margins all over the books...). However, already on Thursday the stock was a bit weak in the afternoon, and I thought it was the shorts and the other haters in Twitter pushing it down, probably helped by some big short like Spiegel and Einhorn... right?... so I doubled down, reaching my absolute top on margin, because I was sure Elon and the longs would surely do something to help the share price that was so high in AH after ER... I also sold some weekly puts at 750 to get some cash right away on the account... then, on Friday morning Elon made that strange tweet, selling everything and going away, and Tesla is too high price... and oh my God my account has completely crashed and my brokerage has issued a huge margin call that I have no idea how to meet... I know Elon surely had his reasons to tweet like he did, we know he is there for us and for the cause, but what the heck why during market hours and why without more precise explanation of his plan? What shall I do now??? I have no idea, I kind of hope it does a huge reversal on Monday, I have 3 days to meet the margin call... shall I hold or give up immediately... I can liquidate other things to cover the call, and open a mortgage on the house...that should be sufficient... the most scary thing of all is that I had no courage to say anything to my wife... she will kill me if she finds out, I promised her so many presents with the results on my investments... any suggestion, idea or forecast what happens on Monday welcome...

Funny, because ...

You did not know what you were doing, but went all in (on margin)
OR you knew what you did, but don't know what to do

:)

Not sure what prior poster with broken English who was in similar position as you did few mths back.

Best wishes. Cheers!!

• Helpful
Reactions: Artful Dodger
$800-$850 was a high price considering COVID and the lost production and uncertainty. I suspect the shares will drift down into a summer trading range of mid-500's or so before climbing towards the end of the year on building sales and production. Anyone who thinks this means I think it's a good idea to sell either doesn't understand what I just wrote or doesn't understand stock investing very well.

While no one knows what the share price will do, I think this is what Elon is thinking it will do as well. Markets are funny beasts.

Battery day, considering it will be Tesla’s most exiting day ever, to paraphrase Elon, should be
Bullish for the stock. Resuming production at Fremont is also a bullish event. These
2 events should occur in May.

Thereafter it may be a matter of how quickly consumer confidence is restored.
Normalizing human behavior will play a roll.

If an effective therapy and / or vaccine appears, then we should expect full confidence
Restored. The odds of this being realized in the short run appear small.

Otherwise we might be tip-toeing our way back to confidence and spending.
This may cap the upside on the stock, though I would not dare choreograph
It’s movement. Markets frequently look beyond the valley.

My only advise is to buy as low as you can and hold on until Elon sells.

... on who's behalf Elon has spoken up. I won't be surprised if Tesla buys at least a supporting interest in any struggling supplers. They'll do whatever it takes:

Zachary J. Kirkhorn -- Chief Financial Officer

"As Elon mentioned, it is extremely important that we remain on track to achieve our long-term plans and technology road map. We are taking the near-term actions required to continue those investments. Model Y in Shanghai and Berlin are proceeding as planned and we're making progress on improving capacity for Model Y in Fremont and Model 3 in Shanghai."​

Clearly, those long-term plans include to continued health of Tesla's supply chain in the short term.

Cheers!

I love your optimism but supply chains and ramping up of manufacturing operations is complex. It is clear Elon and Zach are worried about the uncertainty. Even if we start mid May you are not going to get to peak production for at least 3-4 weeks.

That previously leaked email about recalling paint shop workers on April 29th was a strong indicator of Tesla’s plans. Paint shops require extra set up time for processing as compared to the building of the cars with the discrete parts. I would look for another leak along these lines to get a good idea about when the manufacturing lines will reopen.

Whenever Tesla restarts I expect them to primarily focus on Model Y production and try to deliver as many of those as possible. It appears there is still decent inventory available for the other models. Including GF3 I see production of 80-90K for this quarter. The bigger question for me is how much cash we expect to burn in Q2.

Tesla did show good faith of shipping PPE and ventilators. How did that work?

Forget about Bill Gates and Zuckerberg-Chen foundations, B & Z never put all their fortune on the line. Their charity is just a drop of their net worth. Did B send out ventilators or PPE to help those in need? None, nada-none! But B got all the praise for his philanthropy while costing him almost nothing.

If I were Elon I would shred all my good faith as well.

Bill and Zuck and Bezos probably have publicists and PR agencies promoting them.
Elon is left with click bait journalist having a field day at his expense.

Wow, that whole segment was a pure advert for Tesla - how much would that have cost to air if it was a paid ad??
Priceless. Getting endorsement and actively pushing people to buy the freedom car Tesla is now a symbol of is crazy. On one side it's the symbol of climate change, on the other it's now an American flag. Musk has all his bases covered. Kind of what happens when he give zero F while other CEOs couldn't dare to dream of being so liberal with their mouth. This is what happens when you have 1% market share and the rest is for you gain vs other companies in which they have everything to lose with such rants.

Hello everybody, new here... I am a Tesla fan, Tesla supporter, Tesla enthusiast and Tesla investor here (from Northern Europe, so excuse my non-perfect English...). However, I have a huge problem, and I am a bit desperate and I need suggestions from you all here! I have been investing in Tesla since 3-4 years, and I was very happy with the results of my investment. I have 100% invested in Tesla, because I believe that 10 years from now Tesla will be the leader in all car production worldwide... no doubts about that. The few dinosaur companies left will not be able to compete with the genius of Elon... however, the recent events have put a serious trouble in my offshore brokerage account. After the last ER and CC, I went all-in Tesla, borrowing half way my margin limits, during the surge AH on Wednesday... I thought that - if in the middle of a pandemic - Tesla is the only company that can post a juicy profit, an incredible YoY growth and is light ahead of the competition, the market will reward the share price, right? and in fact I was so happy, 10% up in AH and amazing expectations for the rest of the week... I was intending to hold the shares in margin for 2-3 weeks, and sell them after the run up to 1,000 or so (my personal target was 1,200 a share, following what happened last time Tesla showed amazing profit and margins all over the books...). However, already on Thursday the stock was a bit weak in the afternoon, and I thought it was the shorts and the other haters in Twitter pushing it down, probably helped by some big short like Spiegel and Einhorn... right?... so I doubled down, reaching my absolute top on margin, because I was sure Elon and the longs would surely do something to help the share price that was so high in AH after ER... I also sold some weekly puts at 750 to get some cash right away on the account... then, on Friday morning Elon made that strange tweet, selling everything and going away, and Tesla is too high price... and oh my God my account has completely crashed and my brokerage has issued a huge margin call that I have no idea how to meet... I know Elon surely had his reasons to tweet like he did, we know he is there for us and for the cause, but what the heck why during market hours and why without more precise explanation of his plan? What shall I do now??? I have no idea, I kind of hope it does a huge reversal on Monday, I have 3 days to meet the margin call... shall I hold or give up immediately... I can liquidate other things to cover the call, and open a mortgage on the house...that should be sufficient... the most scary thing of all is that I had no courage to say anything to my wife... she will kill me if she finds out, I promised her so many presents with the results on my investments... any suggestion, idea or forecast what happens on Monday welcome...

I was able to avoid liquidating in 2019 when the stock dropped below 250 by buying Puts every week to make my margin calls go away. My brokerage account has a "Margin Calculator" that lets you see what you need to buy to make the margin call go away. You might need to buy Puts with 500 SP, or maybe 300. Plug the numbers into the calculator (to see how many you need to buy and at what SP). In the end I spent a few thousand dollars buying Putts that I knew would expire worthless every week in order to hold onto my shares that are now worth much, much more. Good luck.

P.S. - I could not do the trades on-line because with the margin call, it said I didn't have the money to buy the Puts. However, by calling and talking to a broker each week, they would let me buy the Puts on margin because doing so would make the margin call go away immediately.

P.P.S - I was buying one week at a time because we were close to the bottom when the SP got around the 200 level. If I bought new Puts on the Friday (before the expiring ones expired), I would have been able to do them online because I would not have a new margin call yet, but it was cheaper to buy the new Puts each Monday. Because the SP could drop a lot over the next month, you will need to decide if it makes more sense to spend more to buy Puts that expire 1-3 months from now rather than one week from now. The problem is you will need to buy a lot of them (possibly enough to cover all your shares), and they will probably expire worthless in the end, so you have to figure out what money you are willing to throw away to keep your shares.

Last edited:
I was able to avoid liquidating in 2019 when the stock dropped below 250 by buying Puts every week to make my margin calls go away. My brokerage account has a "Margin Calculator" that lets you see what you need to buy to make the margin call go away. You might need to buy Puts with 500 SP, or maybe 300. Plug the numbers into the calculator (to see how many you need to buy and at what SP). In the end I spent a few thousand dollars buying Putts that I knew would expire worthless every week in order to hold onto my shares that are now worth much, much more. Good luck.

P.S. - I could not do the trades on-line because with the margin call, it said I didn't have the money to buy the Puts. However, by calling and talking to a broker each week, they would let me buy the Puts on margin because doing so would make the margin call go away immediately.

P.P.S - I was buying one week at a time because we were close to the bottom when the SP got around the 200 level. If I bought new Puts on the Friday (before the expiring ones expired), I would have been able to do them online because I would not have a new margin call yet, but it was cheaper to buy the new Puts each Monday. Because the SP could drop a lot over the next month, you will need to decide if it makes more sense to spend more to buy Puts that expire 1-3 months from now rather than one week from now. The problem is you will need to buy a lot of them (possibly enough to cover all your shares), and they will probably expire worthless in the end, so you have to figure out what money you are willing to throw away to keep your shares.

Interesting information, thanks for sharing. Wouldn’t selling calls also have the same effect?

edit: Nevermind I see why buying puts is what the brokers would prefer.

Last edited:
Another fascinating week ahead in the epic tale of Tesla.

Perhaps a date is set by CA/Alemeda for reopening Fremont, Battery Day is scheduled, Elon’s tweets are all positive. Oh happy week.

Perhaps Fremont’s reopening continues to be murky, Elon’s mood darkens further, and starts tweeting stuff that even the most Elon-tolerant posters here can’t condone. Oh miserable week.

Buckle up.

Interesting information, thanks for sharing. Wouldn’t selling calls also have the same effect?
No, selling calls earns you just a little bit of money, probably not enough to cover the Margin call. If the Margin call is big enough, and let us assume you own 3,000 shares, you might need to buy 30 Puts to cover all those shares. What I found interesting is that the Puts you buy can have a surprisingly low SP, which means they don't cost too much. This is where the Margin calculator comes into play. For example, you would plug into the calculator buying 30 Puts with 300 SP and see what happens. It might make the margin call go away completely. IF not, you try with a SP of 350, then 400, until it works. Obviously, the higher the SP, the more they cost, so you want to buy the Puts with the lowest SP possible that will meet the Margin requirement.

Putting mercury in the air and water is not the opposite of bad policy.
Trump administration weakens mercury rule for coal plants

I could post a huge list of other bad policies, but it belongs in the politics thread. Take your contempt for leftist "types" there.

I get it. Sounds horrible. But there are multiple dozens of questions you could be asking about this instead of just reading an article that has determined the outcome for you. There are some really pragmatic questions about this specific topic. It is not as black and white as Trump EPA bad, Trump Policy promotes pollution, Bad Trump. Emotional topics like this typically blinds people from asking the other questions or seeing the gray. That is why fears works so well to move people the way they want. You are correct that this is not for this thread but my original post was and was just a response to what was already being discussed.

Btw, gotta love how you throw in your own political view point then tell me to go take it elsewhere because I'm off topic. Classic.

I love your optimism but supply chains and ramping up of manufacturing operations is complex. It is clear Elon and Zach are worried about the uncertainty. Even if we start mid May you are not going to get to peak production for at least 3-4 weeks.
So did you read my comment from March 26, 2020 (which I linked to yesterday)? In that estimate, I called for a single shift to resume production, 50% production rate for the remainder of Q2 (restart date somewhere between the 1st and 15th of May), 75% production rate in Q3, and not returning to full rated production capacity until Q4. And still making 500K production achievable in 2020.

BTW, I predicted Model 3 production for 2019Q4 at 86,944 units back on Oct 3, 2019 (3 mths in advance). Tesla's production number released on Jan 2, 2020? 86,958. So there is that 14 units error. Seems I forgot to account for Leap Hour in November ;) @mongo

Yes, I do have some formal training in logistics planning. As an Army Officer, I placed 2nd in my class at Staff College; bested by a very bookish young medical doctor (nice girl). My last assignment before I retired was Ast. G3 (Ops and Trg) for the Brigade.

#LOGISTICS

3d5ff84f1e_53144598.jpg

If this is actually true, find someone qualified to manage your money.

You are literally betting your house, marriage, etc, on TSLA going to 1500 by this Fall?

Just go find a casino and at least get some free drinks while you gamble away everything you have.

If an effective therapy and / or vaccine appears, then we should expect full confidence Restored. The odds of this being realized in the short run appear small.

An effective therapy has already appeared and could restore confidence quickly, but it is not one that the pharmaceutical industry wants promoted.

I wish everyone would take a few minutes to learn about it and spread the news, because media dependent on drug advertising will not do it, just as media dependent on car advertising will not be fair to Tesla.

Protected Group Immunity, Not a Vaccine, is the Way to Stop the COVID-19 Pandemic
by Richard Z. Cheng, MD, PhD

Dr. Cheng is Associate Director of three current clinical trials in China, according to this source.
His impressive curriculum vitae is here.
His article's many references are mostly peer-reviewed medical journals, as you can see for yourself.

Elon Musk on Twitter

I see this happening and was thinking yesterday about this very topic, so here is my idea... roughly.

Lets say you have a favorite piece of road u love to drive hard. A first, u run thu it and record the video and position of you car.

Now you go home and that road is now a racing game and u can race yourself. The initial recorded version is agmented into the video as a ghost car that u try to beat. When u think ur better, take another recording in real life. Back in the garage, the pace of the video is set by your driving the sim.

Virtual racing, your track, agaist yourself or others, real time or async. All possible.

Go for it Tesla! Maybe I should respond to the tweet directly, but Id be suprised that someone at Tesla hasn't already thought of this.