Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In case its not immediately clear to our International membership, here is the entire, complete tweet from the Governor of Texas to Elon Musk:

1f440_svg.png

Thank you for your attention. Carry on. :cool:

Cheers!

I think this is all politics in the end.

Texas is perfect for Tesla. New battery factory, And I mean NEW battery for the new factory on the dock. And why not a new headquarters. Endless wind power. The opportunity to lead a major state into a renewable future right in the heart of fossil empire turning their strength into weakness.

Tesla had to go there and Elon has known it for a while. He has flat out announced it publicly.

Now Elon has a chance to get pissed, rally the troops, get endless publicity, galvanize both sides of the debate, cause dammit I think he likes it. And strut on over to Texas While daring CA to at least extend an olive branch.

How does this guy stay in the headlines while in the time of COVID where even the nominee for President has been silenced in the cacophony? He is too brilliant for me.

Fremont is not going anywhere. Tesla is going to continue to open buildings for a while, not move them and close them. The company has the only cars in the world that cannot meet demand and everyone knows it now. The moat continues to grow. Although I have dreamed and wished and predicted this the whole time, the events unfolding stun me.

He is forcing me to capitulate and put in more and more money of my cash in TSLA. Seems I have company.

Now that I have calmed down from my post-tweet reading fury, I am feeling a huge mix of emotions

As a 'naturalized' Californian for over 20 years, my fury was at the stupid, idiotic CA politicians and officials. What could have been a shining example of 'How CA worked together to combat the virus and won" had turned into one big egg on their faces because they pushed it too far. They will now have to back-track and looks like fools.

CA had pretty much succeeded in combating the pandemic concerns. Even though it is the most populous state, which high population density centers, lots of immigrants and travel from affected countries, the impact of the virus was well within manageable levels. The numbers did not go crazy, the hospitals were not overwhelmed, the death toll was not anywhere close to NY or even close to reaching capacity of hospitals. They could have simply claimed victory and started the process of opening up for economic recovery. They would have come out of this like shining stars!

But, that is not what they did. They pushed the shutdowns too far with no end in sight. Although Gov Newson started talking about opening up in stages with precautions, he look the spineless attitude of 'let the counties do what they want'. Folks like me who can WFH were fine, but hundreds of thousands of others were not fine. Discontent was already building up as people tried to politely point out how unreasonable this attitude was. They misjudged this completely, and all it needed was a spark which Elon seems to have provided. Now they are looking like unreasonable, out of touch and incompetent idiots in charge of the state.

The county will backtrack and Tesla will open manufacturing. Unfortunately the damage is done - I believe this has given Elon the reason to trigger moving HQ to Texas or anywhere other than CA. The Fremont factory will not shut down, but Tesla will cease to be a CA based company as its HQ will be moved. This saddens me greatly and it was a matter of pride for me that this great company was a California grown and based company. Worst still, if Elon makes the same decision for SpaceX then we lose 2 for 1.

Move to Texas will likely be great for Tesla - the stock will go up and growth is assured. My investment will do great, but I am feeling sad that it will not be in California. And we have no one other than our own elected or non-elected officials to blame for this.

Elon played a perfect game of 3D chess, hats off to him! Well, I am expecting a nice breakout of the stock price next week - and it is well deserved. I am so glad that this forum has taught me the art of HODL on this bumpy ride!

CA has been SO good to Tesla, in fact if it wasn't for CA there would be NO Tesla. TX does not even allow him to sell cars. Now he want's to tell CA to take a hike????
California (well, Alameda county) is underestimating Elon's committment to the mission. The mission is to replace oil-burning cars with electric ones. A shut-down BEV factory does nothing to achieve that goal. Elon wants to let everyone know that Tesla will take big steps to keep the successful accomplishment of the mission #1 priority. This applies to Texas, too, if they want to play games with Tesla later.

The NUMMI factory site only cost Tesla sixty million bucks to acquire - including the huge stamping press that was too expensive for Toyota to move anywhere else. That is why they are there. I know Schwarzeneggar was hanging around in a highly-visible manner at the time of the purchase, but really it was Toyota/GM selling the site for that amount that enabled it.

In the list of U.S. states, Texas is the third-largest market for Tesla. Only Washington and California have bigger sales, and they have huge tax rebates for BEVs. Texas has NO rebates for Tesla cars whatsoever and it's still Tesla's 3rd-largest market. Translation: the dealership new-car-sales monopoly law in Texas is causing NO significant problem for Tesla. Tesla doesn't care if that law is in place or not.

We recently saw in this thread a comparison between houses for similar price in the Fremont area and then in Texas. It doesn't hurt to be able to offer your workers a way to live in a decent house on a decent lot and have money left over to raise a family - versus being packed into a 900sq.ft. dump for $1.5million!!!

Here's a key argument in the suit (bold text mine):

Although the County interprets its Third Order to mean otherwise, the County’s COVID-19 “Frequently Asked Questions” ostensibly authorizes both battery and electric vehicle manufacturing companies to operate. The relevant text provides:

My business installs distributed solar, storage, and/or electric vehicle charging systems – can it continue to operate?

Yes, this is permissible construction activity and must comply with the Construction Project Safety Protocols in Appendix B of the Order. Businesses may also operate to
manufacture distributed energy resource components, like solar panels.

Critically, this allowance for the “manufacture [of] distributed energy resource components” encompasses substantially all of Tesla’s manufacturing activities in Fremont. As defined by the Public Utility Commission (the state agency solely charged with regulating distributed energy), “distributed energy resource technology” includes both electric vehicles and batteries: “For purposes of this section, ‘distributed resources’ means distributed renewable generation resources, energy efficiency, energy storage, electric vehicles, and demand response technologies.”