Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The US is culturally structured to be vulnerable to a pandemic. "Mah Freedom", to the point of damaging other's freedom is too prevalent and I do not believe everyone is capable of realizing that exercising their freedom will lead to harming others in certain circumstances.

The US is Constitutionally structured to be inefficient to protect individual freedoms and that also makes us vulnerable to a pandemic.

There are specific police powers delegated to the FBI the rest are devolved to 50 State Governors, 3007 County Sheriffs and countless police chiefs.

America rightly mocked Trump when he claimed to have sole authority to reopen America's economy.

I'll take the bad with my $4.99 rotisserie Chicken.

California (well, Alameda county) is underestimating Elon's committment to the mission. The mission is to replace oil-burning cars with electric ones. A shut-down BEV factory does nothing to achieve that goal. Elon wants to let everyone know that Tesla will take big steps to keep the successful accomplishment of the mission #1 priority. This applies to Texas, too, if they want to play games with Tesla later.

The NUMMI factory site only cost Tesla sixty million bucks to acquire - including the huge stamping press that was too expensive for Toyota to move anywhere else. That is why they are there. I know Schwarzeneggar was hanging around in a highly-visible manner at the time of the purchase, but really it was Toyota/GM selling the site for that amount that enabled it.

In the list of U.S. states, Texas is the third-largest market for Tesla. Only Washington and California have bigger sales, and they have huge tax rebates for BEVs. Texas has NO rebates for Tesla cars whatsoever and it's still Tesla's 3rd-largest market. Translation: the dealership new-car-sales monopoly law in Texas is causing NO significant problem for Tesla. Tesla doesn't care if that law is in place or not.

We recently saw in this thread a comparison between houses for similar price in the Fremont area and then in Texas. It doesn't hurt to be able to offer your workers a way to live in a decent house on a decent lot and have money left over to raise a family - versus being packed into a 900sq.ft. dump for $1.5million!!!

Ya, but you open the front door and you're...in Texas.

The US is culturally structured to be vulnerable to a pandemic. "Mah Freedom", to the point of damaging other's freedom is too prevalent and I do not believe everyone is capable of realizing that exercising their freedom will lead to harming others in certain circumstances.
The US has the capabilities to deal with pandemics. It had decades to plan on how scale testing and contact tracing. Our leadership has just chosen not to be prepared. This is at all levels of the government.

064846E4-6EE0-43B2-A6CE-1B463AC57E60.jpeg

I know we're still kinda tracking developments as they occur, but, can anyone opine on what effect on TSLA all this will have on Monday morning? Up or down? I can't decide either way yet.

Definite positive reaction tomorrow in my opinion:

1) It shows Tesla is seeing huge demand to be so desperate to get the factory open.
2) This makes it way more likely Alameda County will quickly allow the factory to re-open.
3) It shows Tesla has a CEO who will do whatever it takes to get results.

I know we're still kinda tracking developments as they occur, but, can anyone opine on what effect on TSLA all this will have on Monday morning? Up or down? I can't decide either way yet.

County caves, stock goes up. If they’re smart they’ll wait til Tuesday so they have time to buy calls on Monday (last part was a joke...last thing we need is to add corruption to bumbling incompetence).

A move to Mordor is pretty difficult to spin in any way other than positive long-term, so I’d imagine SP reacts positively. There will be plenty of FUD around the financial implications and short-term chaos of relocation, but it will soon become apparent Elon has been planning this for a while, only implementing it a little more abruptly than he had expected to.

I think we have to see how this plays out. We have one more day of the weekend.

I’m guessing Tesla gets back to work on Monday, if they aren’t already at least starting to get their protocols organized. Not all workers, obviously.

Lawsuit is filed and I think Elon’s just going to put his head down and drive on. Deal with consequences as they come; fines, arrests... Selfishly my evil side kind of wants to see Elon in handcuffs on the news Monday. I think that would be hilariously fabulous and increase our wealths.

So my WAG is up on Monday unless macros are end of the world has arrived/more talk of it’s all China’s fault.

As someone who might move at some point - I worry about kids education. Are they still against teaching evolution ? How is racism compared to west coast ?

The most important thing about west coast I think is the mobility. Its so easy to switch companies - there are so many good companies to work for.
Companies locate and relocate for various reasons. Education is a big one for many CEO's and boards. To see some educational stats:
List of U.S. states and territories by educational attainment - Wikipedia

• Funny
Reactions: SMAlset
Anybody able to estimate what the Q2 restructuring charge will be for moving Tesla HQ to Texas?
It really shouldn't be much because HQ is just office and staff. Moving HQ does not mean moving the factory immediately. (Unless Elon intends to build an Apple style compound, which I doubt very much.)

• Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger
long term investors should be pleased with this development. It’s an opportunity not a loss. Short term obviously has it’s difficulties but long term the story gets stronger. Retail investors will follow suit on what big guns decide. As long as all current long term investors view this as a positive then Tsla will be fine this week. Shorts can try to paint a different story but the fact that a car company is basically saying they’re tom brady and are open to free agency is typically a bullish sign as it puts the incentives on the table.