Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OT FYI: The latest daily alert from ETrade on my NKLA short:

The borrow rate for a hard-to-borrow security in your account below is above 25%.

Security:
NKLA
New borrow rate: 646.25%

NKLA is down $16+ since I shorted it at 70, but I'm not sure if I'm making any money :confused: Still holding short.

Same here, even with price drop, so far sold PUTS (small amount) are not increasing in value ...

I want to thank you for this suggestion. I just suggested to my son that I would guarantee up to one share a month if he put it in a separate account. As a young man about 30, the pull to day trade is strong. And while he can still do that, I hope he will see the value of buy and hold for at least some of his money. And beyond that, the idea of creating patterns of saving/investing as a young man is outstanding.

I made this offer to both my adult children yesterday
Buy 10 shares of tesla.
If you sell in the future for less then you paid, I will give you the difference and add the percent the nasdaq went up in that period. They also would get to write off the loss.
For me, I get them involved with the greatest company on earth, and in the unlikely event that they sell someday at a loss, my tesla holdings have given me more money then I could ever spend.
This way they earn their own money instead instead of inheriting all of it. I am probably going to make this offer every month and lend them the money if they ever need it.
In 2016 when I started buying Tesla my wife and I committed to giving the stock to our children when we die.We are sticking to that. We will NEVER sell a single share. In a small way we are helping our children inherit a better world.

.Did I miss anything? How does this sound?

Reactions: saniflash
What color roadster should I order?
Founder's Red. Definately. Not even close. ;)

2020-tesla-roadster-carbuzz-523781.jpg

Cheers!

While TSLA has just hit $1,300, Amazon has just hit $3,000!

I was lucky enough to have bought TSLA, AMZN, SQ and PTON in the late Feb/early March dip. Since then it isn't only TSLA that has more than tripled in value, Square and Peloton have too, while Amazon has nearly doubled which is incredible for such a mature company.

Now this is an important point. It seems like TSLA is rising not because of its individual results but because it is seen as a company of the future. And the Coronavirus situation is going to act as a catalyst to bring on the future more quickly than before by bankrupting late cycle companies who are loaded up with debt and make thin margins.

TSLA is the automaker of the future, SQ the bank of the future, PTON the gym of the future. It partly explains the furore over NKLA when that really is smoke and mirrors, investors are betting on anything that looks like the future.

Now, I can see a good and a bad around this. The good is that I don't even think the new Tesla battery tech or any utility or self-driving advancements are baked into the TSLA share increase, the bad is that I am not sure that anything is baked in and the share price will become as overblown in the next month or so as it was under-priced a year ago. This mini-macro of the "future" is going to blow up even further. I don't know by how much or when, but if we also take S&P inclusion into account, then TSLA may still have another 100% to run (to around $3,000 per share) before the bubble bursts and then you will then see a 50-70% drop back down to perhaps $1,000-$1,500 per share.

TSLA is obviously a fantastic long term bet, but over the next month or so I think there is going to be a great opportunity to make a quick buck while still being well positioned for the long term!

People are going to be shocked when Elon announces TerraAustin, and then announces TerraTulsa. ;)

It's hard to imagine that anyone has not already priced in Q2 profits and S&P inclusion but I think many haven't. It's going to be interesting seeing the big funds start to buy as inclusion becomes a foregone conclusion.

I want to thank you for this suggestion. I just suggested to my son that I would guarantee up to one share a month if he put it in a separate account. As a young man about 30, the pull to day trade is strong. And while he can still do that, I hope he will see the value of buy and hold for at least some of his money. And beyond that, the idea of creating patterns of saving/investing as a young man is outstanding.
You can absolutely day trade Tesla and make a lot of money. The key is just to enter the daily buy orders, and not the daily sell orders. ;)

Damn.. this is hard. :p

I have some $1400 17July options.. 1100% gains this morning- so I sold one when sp was $1280 to take some money off the table.

The rest is now play money. Only 5 minutes after I sold the one call - the rest of them have skyrocketed. 2000% and climbing.

Hrm.. when to sell the rest. Will if bust through $1400 tomorrow? Then there will be some real profit on every dollar further rise.

When to sell is way harder than when to buy, IMO.

My limited experience with LEAPS is that I've always sold too soon.

I also don't know whether ITM are better than OTM - for instance, my June 2022 $1250's, are now ITM, should I just leave them be, or should I sell them and buy something else?

I've no idea, honestly...

Reactions: Hytra
When to sell is way harder than when to buy, IMO.

My limited experience with LEAPS is that I've always sold too soon.

I also don't know whether ITM are better than OTM - for instance, my June 2022 $1250's, are now ITM, should I just leave them be, or should I sell them and buy something else?

I've no idea, honestly...

The only thing I can tell you with my limited experience with options; if you are going to sell them have a plan on what you are going to do next. Don't sell and wait thinking that the stock will go down the next day (that thinking has cost me a lot of money) buy stock or other options right away. Don't wait.

I have Jun 21 1250c and 1300c and I would like to know as well.

What color roadster should I order? (ok, I'm not quite there but I can see the end of the tunnel)

I keep asking myself that question to. Is this share price rational? I'm not sure but I do think Tesla has reached escape velocity. Self funding, profitable, and an unassailable lead over the competition. We haven't even seen what comes next in terms of battery day and whatever other tricks Elon has up his sleeve. I'm especially interested in the autopilot re-write. As is they are ahead of the competition, but a full re-write is very exciting.
I don't think auto-bidder is getting enough attention, even amongst us bulls. Energy is obviously a huge market, and this will essentially be software level margins.
I want to know if or how Tesla will get a share of the Autobidder AI profits. Will they sell the hardware and lease the software or just lock in some percentage to fund operations. You are right, this could be a big revenue stream. Tesla could become a keystone of distributed grids.

People are going to be shocked when Elon announces TerraAustin, and then announces TerraTulsa. ;)

It's hard to imagine that anyone has not already priced in Q2 profits and S&P inclusion but I think many haven't. It's going to be interesting seeing the big funds start to buy as inclusion becomes a foregone conclusion.

You can absolutely day trade Tesla and make a lot of money. The key is just to enter the daily buy orders, and not the daily sell orders. ;)
At this point, even if we don't get in on Q2, we ARE GOING TO get in on Q3. I can't think of any investment house retarded enough to wait around for that to happen once B Day and over 150k delivery have done their damage. Well, maybe JPM.
Getting awfully close to my goal here. :rolleyes:
TAM5HCCCPG7QBCC5EHOFQKZ3JA.jpg