Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Several people already posted a link to Rob Maurer discussing the mechanics of a possible S&P 500 inclusion. What I found very interesting, starting at 13:50, is that a source with - according to Rob - inside knowledge of the inclusion process told him that other companies have in the past been asked to do a secondary offering to improve liquidity.

We all know that TSLA inclusion will probably lead to (extreme?) illiquidity of the stock, so it shouldn’t come as a surprise if the committee asks Tesla to do the same. Tesla may not have an immediate need for more cash, but they may have an immediate need for more shares.

Several people already posted a link to Rob Maurer discussing the mechanics of a possible S&P 500 inclusion. What I found very interesting, starting at 13:50, is that a source with - according to Rob - inside knowledge of the inclusion process told him that other companies have in the past been asked to do a secondary offering to improve liquidity.

We all know that TSLA inclusion will probably lead to (extreme?) illiquidity of the stock, so it shouldn’t come as a surprise if the committee asks Tesla to do the same. Tesla may not have an immediate need for more cash, but they may have an immediate need for more shares.
I listened to it on my way to work this morning. Do Elon and Tesla want to be part of the index? If share issuance becomes a hurdle will the board decide to cross it?

• Informative
Reactions: Right_Said_Fred
Posted a Bloomberg piece last night of Biden's new stepped up EV/renewables proposal. Shocked we didn't see a massive bump today on the news.

I guess this rotation out of tech is far too powerful for retail to impact. Hopefully this generates some more institutional FOMO as they digest the details and implications. 100% emission free electricity by 2035 requires a LOT of storage, especially since nearly all vehicles will be EV by then.

Oil of course.....is up today. Don't ask me why Chevron is worth 3% more today than yesterday.

Barron's - 19 minutes ago: Tesla and NextEra Energy Stock Could Gain From Biden’s Climate Plan. Ford, Polaris Stock Could Fall.

Excerpt:

The plan, if enacted, could boost electric vehicle makers and utilities that have already begun shifting their power generation to renewable sources. That would include vehicle makers like Tesla and Nikola and utility companies like NextEra Energy.

What’s happening here? A mini twister? Starting at 0:34

17638F45-6B3E-4050-AA78-EF138C8D889B.jpeg

Barron's - 19 minutes ago: Tesla and NextEra Energy Stock Could Gain From Biden’s Climate Plan. Ford, Polaris Stock Could Fall.

Excerpt:

The plan, if enacted, could boost electric vehicle makers and utilities that have already begun shifting their power generation to renewable sources. That would include vehicle makers like Tesla and Nikola and utility companies like NextEra Energy.
Didn't realize Nikola was a vehicle maker yet... well I guess they did make that demo Semi that is super quiet, has AC, and travels at jogging speed.

So trying to understand the attached 8-page pdf. Can't really figure out any amount that seem to be in the agreement (that still needs to be voted on I think). But apparently they have reached an agreement that the original 80% rebate on some taxes for the first 10 years have been lowered to 70% rebate.

Apparently gonna be a closed executive session now. Not sure if they'll vote. Back around 2.30 local time they said.

---
The structure of the baseline incentive has been reworked to encourage greater overall investment, to the mutual benefit of both parties. Originally, Tesla requested an 80% incentive for the first ten years and a 65% incentive for the second ten years on its Travis County Operations & Maintenance (O&M) tax liability related to incremental real and business personal property (there is no incentive related to the Interest & Sinking (I&S) tax liability). The restructured parameters drop the initial incentive amount to 70%, tied to approximately the first $1.1 billion invested, and then increase the incentive amount to 75% for second incremental billion and then to 80% of the increment past the $2 billion mark. If Tesla invests the original amount ($1.1 billion) the restructured deal is essentially a wash with the original proposal; above that amount is a net gain for the community, both in terms of jobs and economic activity, and fiscal gains for the County.
---
could you speak to us alabama rednecks?

• Funny
Reactions: ThisStockGood

TSLA trades almost 15 million shares daily (22.8 million today). It was as high as 24 million average (30-day) earlier this year (Tesla 30-Day Average Daily Volume | TSLA ), so this may not be required or even asked.

Screen Shot 2020-07-14 at 2.51.33 PM.png

So, my theory on this week's price action is that the MM's are teasing option buyers with $1600 and letting them buy as many puts as they can - they now outnumber calls 2:1 at that strike.

But then there's a huge gap of not-a-lot all the way up to $1700, so sometime late Wednesday, Thursday, they'll take their foot off the brake and let it run up to the mid $1650's, then cap it there.

View attachment 564554
Also worth noting the 13k calls at $2500 still there :eek:
I really love/appreciate it when someone posts a chart and then explains what it is telling them. Thank you.
So then the MM's allowing th stock to go up into the $1700's range was to encourage purchase of calls above $1700? That explains some of the craziness on Monday. And then they drove it back down so quickly to make it look like to those that don't believe the economy is going well to purchase "safe" puts...and they just let end the week up another hundred if it doesn't get away from them.
The Profit Report being released in the middle of next week will make the puts/calls graph look very interesting? and telling? or will the MM's take the money off the table next week.

It's pretty obvious the commissioner's court has finalized everything and is going to vote today in the affirmative after public comments are finished. The demeanor of the county judge is another sign.

Good to hear the vast majority of speakers supporting Tesla.
And most of those who do not or who are trying to delay, delay, delay are members of the same "Workers Defense" organization.

Reactions: Prunesquallor
It's pretty obvious the commissioner's court has finalized everything and is going to vote today in the affirmative after public comments are finished. The demeanor of the county judge is another sign.

Good to hear the vast majority of speakers supporting Tesla.

That's the impression I've gotten, as well. Unfortunately I need to bow out from watching now, so hopefully one of you will keep us updated as the session concludes.