Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Basic WASH sale question, this is an important FYI for all the new traders not to run afoul of WASH rules, and a simple question because I simply cannot get the WASH rule concepts through my head...

1- If I bought one share for $100 and sold it for $80, what taxable amount did I just generate because of WASH rules?
a- $20? or
b- $80? or
c- $100?

2- If I sell all the shares and don't buy any more of that stock back for at least how long (30 days?? or 90 days??) - will that WASH taxable liability go away?

3- If I sell all the shares and don't buy any shares of that stock for the required time, can I still buy options right away with that same underlying stock while the generated tax liability in #1 above goes away??

COVID in Fremont (FUD).

If you needed an additional reason to discredit Assm. Gonzalez's opinions on coronavirus spread and the workplace, she has authored a bill in the California Legislature (AB 196) that would, for workers' compensation purposes, create a conclusive presumption that any COVID-19 infection in a person deemed "essential" (read: many Californians, arguably including Tesla workers) arose out of the course of employment, up to 90 days following termination of employment (WHAT?).

Basic WASH sale question, this is an important FYI for all the new traders not to run afoul of WASH rules, and a simple question because I simply cannot get the WASH rule concepts through my head...

1- If I bought one share for $100 and sold it for $80, what taxable amount did I just generate because of WASH rules?
a- $20? or
b- $80? or
c- $100?

2- If I sell all the shares and don't buy any more of that stock back for at least how long (30 days?? or 90 days??) - will that WASH taxable liability go away?

3- If I sell all the shares and don't buy any shares of that stock for the required time, can I still buy options right away with that same underlying stock while the generated tax liability in #1 above goes away??

Your first sale is a $20 loss. You can't use it to offset gains if you have bought the stock in the prior or following 30 days. Wash sale rules exist so you can't just sell on a dip to generate losses and then immediately buy back in. Per question 3 options and stock for the same ticker all are considered equivalent as far as wash sales go. Per question 2 any trades more than 30 days apart cannot be part of a wash sale. One thing you can do though is sell for a loss and then buy a different stock in the same sector if you think the whole sector will move.

Last edited:
Your first sale is a $20 taxable profit. Taxable amounts have nothing to do with wash sale rules. Wash sale rules exist so you can't just sell on a dip to generate losses and then immediately buy back in. Per question 3 options and stock for the same ticker all are considered equivalent as far as wash sales go. Per question 2 any trades more than 30 days apart cannot be part of a wash sale. One thing you can do though is sell for a loss and then buy a different stock in the same sector if you think the whole sector will move.
How could buying a share for 100 and selling it for 80 generate a profit...hell I have been buying high and selling low a long time...I want my profit's!

a- $20? or
b- $80? or
c- $100?

General Rule:
The wash-sale rule keeps investors from selling at a loss, buying the same (or "substantially identical") investment back within a 61-day window, and claiming the tax benefit. It applies to most of the investments you could hold in a typical brokerage account or IRA, including stocks, bonds, mutual funds, exchange-traded funds (ETFs), and options.

More specifically, the wash-sale rule states that the tax loss will be disallowed if you buy the same security, a contract or option to buy the security, or a "substantially identical" security, within 30 days before or after the date you sold the loss-generating investment (it's a 61-day window).

See details at: Wash-Sale Rules | Avoid this tax pitfall | Fidelity

Essentially, this is the Infield Fly Rule of investing.

So, my take would be:
1) a) $-20. That is you have a $20 loss that can offset other gains

2) Not sure what you mean by "all the shares." But, you need to wait until the 31st day.

3) No, you cannot buy TSLA options right away and still deduct the loss.

Note that if you do all your trading in one account, most brokerages will interpret the Wash Rules for you in your subsequent 1099. And note that trading in different accounts doesn't change the rule.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: Sudre and Unpilot
General Rule:
The wash-sale rule keeps investors from selling at a loss, buying the same (or "substantially identical") investment back within a 61-day window, and claiming the tax benefit. It applies to most of the investments you could hold in a typical brokerage account or IRA, including stocks, bonds, mutual funds, exchange-traded funds (ETFs), and options.

More specifically, the wash-sale rule states that the tax loss will be disallowed if you buy the same security, a contract or option to buy the security, or a "substantially identical" security, within 30 days before or after the date you sold the loss-generating investment (it's a 61-day window).

See details at: Wash-Sale Rules | Avoid this tax pitfall | Fidelity

Essentially, this is the Infield Fly Rule of investing.

So, my take would be:
1) a) $-20. That is you have a $20 loss that can offset other gains

2) Not sure what you mean by "all the shares." But, you need to wait until the 31st day.

3) No, you cannot buy TSLA options right away and still deduct the loss.

Note that if you do all your trading in one account, most brokerages will interpret the Wash Rules for you in your subsequent 1099. And note that trading in different accounts doesn't change the rule.
Much thanks for your time and patience, @smorgasbord and @stealthyc .

If I say the heck with it and buy a LEAP with the same underlying stock, does that make it any worse - am I still only on the hook for the tax on that $20, or does my buying the LEAP complicate things in a bad way for my tax liability?

(Also, I'm asking this last question to make sure I understand the concept behind this example. I'd never take your time so I save $20.)
Edited for grammar and stuff a few times...

Last edited:
I also believe that is how these horrible fund managers stay afloat. Why else would anyone give money to guys like toilet boy? They know they suck at beating the market, but they also know that this person will spend the effort trying to keep Tesla down.
No one except toilet boy's parents give toilet boy money, FWIW.