Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So SP 22,000 by 2024 is their best best best. 14.66x current SP within 4 years. I actually think that’s entirely possible. Thanks for posting!
In a tweet not long ago, Sam Korus pointed our that Tesla’s market share is growing faster than they predicted in that analysis. :eek:

I don't normally equate dynastic succession plans with corporate succession planning.

I agree that we don't want a Prince of Wales situation with an anointed successor watching nearby from the sidelines for decades. We agree.

I also know that Elon is really important to SpaceX, and yet I'm also confident that Gwynne Shotwell would pick up the pieces and keep that company going. I'm also not worried about a Prince of Wales situation developing there as a result.

Gwynne is 56 years old and not the future CEO of SpaceX, unless Elon has an early unexpected death or incapacitation.

Jérôme M. Guillen is at least 48 and is as capable as Gwynne.

The deal with fit and finish items is.....drum roll..... ALL cars have them.

Tesla's are not immune but are magnified by the fact they are under a microscope.
TSLAQ actively works to high-lite every issue.

But here is the thing...I does not matter!
Why.....because Tesla is able to sell all they can make. And more importantly they will fix the issues at the factory.
Maybe the cybertruck will have some unknown problem that will be highlighted by the foam at the mouth club....but it won't matter either.

They will sell all they can make and eventually make them as perfect as first principles will allow.

And I am going to be filthy rich because the above is a straight up fact Jack!

Not all cars have them to the same degree.

As Tesla goes from 1.4% market share to 5% market share and up Quality Ratings become more and more important.

Early adopters that truly care about the mission don't care very much about fit and finish.

Mainstream car buyers that care more about their purchase and environmental benefits are a nice extra will care more and more about what CR and JDP have to say.

"We suck less hard than Maserati"

is not going to sell 20M cars per year.

If in 2030 Tesla vehicles have above average initial quality but have a widespread reputation for shitty quality that will be a problem.

Even if 99% of posters on this thread insist otherwise.

Surprised that the article talks about slowing auto EV demand, without mentioning that Tesla is accelerating?

The pandemic could also lower consumer demand for EVs, said Gil Tal, director of the Plug-in Hybrid & Electric Vehicle Research Center at the University of California, Davis.

“The economy is going to slow down,” he said. “Gas prices are going to be low,” which could prompt people to buy more crossovers and SUVs.

Because of the expectation of those trends, car companies are not manufacturing a steady supply of EVs.

Not all cars have them to the same degree.

As Tesla goes from 1.4% market share to 5% market share and up Quality Ratings become more and more important.

Early adopters that truly care about the mission don't care very much about fit and finish.

Mainstream car buyers that care more about their purchase and environmental benefits are a nice extra will care more and more about what CR and JDP have to say.

"We suck less hard than Maserati"

is not going to sell 20M cars per year.

If in 2030 Tesla vehicles have above average initial quality but have a widespread reputation for shitty quality that will be a problem.

Even if 99% of posters on this thread insist otherwise.

If you read any car magazines (road and track, car and driver, automobile, motortrend), fit and finish is a consistent comment from reviews since the start of Tesla. This falls in line with some of the surveys out there.

I got a whack of disagrees suggesting Tesla will not overtake some of the big names in manufacturing in the next few years. Maybe they will , but I highly doubt it.

For the cheerleaders on this page specifically, may i suggest surfing some other parts of this board.
eg. Calling all previous Audi owners.

i should note the selection bias from above thread, this is taken from a Tesla enthusiast message board. :)

I would not trade my X for anything currently, but that does not mean its perfect.

Tech earnings off to a good start this afternoon. AMZN and FB both a beat.

EeMyAzUX0AcceQP

EeMzDEPXYAAMRo-

If Tesla does NOT do a secondary to appease S&P(and they absolutely shouldn't do the S&P any favors IMO), then the mention of any of the following words should be a bannable offense here - Secondary, Dilution, Offering, Cash Raise.....people feel free to add more terms for a secondary you can think of o_O

I'm so sick of speculation on Tesla doing a secondary. Just back at 900 people here were convinced Tesla was going to do a offering when there was the double analyst downgrades on the same day and also because the stock had stayed around 900 for an extended time. I have yet to see any viable reason for Tesla to raise cash having 8.6 billion on hand....plus they just added 800 million in cash from the lease bond offering.

What the million-mile battery means for electric cars

[...]

Battery technology is improving all the time. As a consequence, so are calendar and use-dependent lifetimes. Getting direct experience of how electric cars are used is helping researchers come up with ways to mitigate some of the side reactions, says Tim Grewe, the head of gm’s electrification strategy. The company employs remote, “telematic” monitoring to keep track of how batteries are performing in its cars, and also takes back some batteries from high-mileage drivers and those living in extreme environments, such as deserts and mountainous regions, for analysis.

Dealing with impurities which get into batteries helps to extend their lives. Water, for example, reacts with salts in the electrolyte to form an acid, which attacks the electrodes. To prevent this, gm has developed an additive made from a type of material called a zeolite. Zeolites are molecular sponges. gm’s version serves to mop up any moisture which enters a battery cell.

Adding a little aluminium to a nickel-cobalt-manganese cathode, a type that is widely used in Li-ion batteries, saves on cobalt, the most expensive ingredient in a battery. But the aluminium delivers other benefits as well, adds Mr Grewe. It boosts the battery’s energy density, meaning a car can travel farther on a single charge. It also makes the battery last longer.

GM will be using these cathodes in a new battery, called Ultium, that it has developed in partnership with LG Chem, a South Korean firm. Ultium batteries, production of which is planned to start next year at a factory in Ohio, should provide electric cars with single-charge ranges of 650km or more. That compares with the 400km range which might these days reasonably be expected from a mid-size electric car. Asked if the Ultium is a million-mile battery, Mr Grewe replied, “Many customers could get that.”

[...]

Jeff Dahn, who leads a group of battery researchers at Dalhousie University in Halifax, Canada, who are sponsored by Tesla, points out that autonomous electric vehicles like “robo taxis” could clock up vast mileages by operating around the clock. So, too, would long-haul lorries and electric buses. And some cars may end up being more than just means of transport. Plans are afoot to let electric-vehicle owners connect their jalopies to the grid in a way that will store surplus electricity generated in times of plenty by wind and sunshine and release it during hours of peak demand, with the owner collecting a fee for doing so. That means these grid-buffering vehicles will be racking up lots of charging cycles even when they are not moving.

[...]​