Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you're just paying cash for the car, and the cash is ready to go, I think 2 minutes is reasonable...
Tesla bulls also constantly lie about how long it takes to charge the car. They claim it's five seconds to plug in, and I know, because I've conducted empirical studies and it takes at least TEN seconds. AND THEY NEVER MENTION YOU HAVE TO UNPLUG IT IN THE MORNING!

What do ya do? I work in entertainment as a lighting designer and audio engineer....industry destroyed. Always looking forward to the future.

I've been in the videogame/movie industry for about 15+ years now on the Art side. My current role/company is kind of a combination of gaming and a very large social platform....that's about as much as i can say ;)

Steady but boring? Its up 100% since last year and that is boring? :) Innovation and growth? No innovation and growth in Apple? If that doesn't fall into your line of investing..i don't know what company would besides TSLA. And if steady but boring returns 100% in 1 year...you can call me the most steady and boring person in the world every day and twice on Sundays if you like.
Yeah okay well I’ll give you that lol! True true true....but still, can there be any more upside to this massive Apple increase in price? I’m not so sure. I suppose I could hold out longer (years and years longer). But it’s definitely not Tesla and I shouldn’t compare lol.

Funny how now that the shorts are gone, for the most part, the remaining analysts are no longer posting unattainable targets to ensure Tesla misses estimates?

I think everyone is on track regarding execution from Tesla and the impact emerging scale is having on margins. Margins are improving in Fremont and should be up significantly in Shanghai. Local part sourcing means shorter supply chain and remaining 60-90 day payments, so Tesla is paying lower carrying costs. Shanghai production should be about 7000 cars a week by end of year with 2000 Y and 5000 3’s a week. Fremont is likely over that now, plus SX production. That puts end of year production close to or at 1 million car rate exiting 2020. It’s much harder to predict what Austin and Berlin will be doing, but both could be online in Q2. Ramping to full scale and local parts could take more time, but 2021 should be amazing.
we also have the Semi coming, and TE hitting stride. If they have capacity, sales revenue should be up over 100% in 2021. The ROI for utilities is becoming apparent and they’ll be lining up to make money and improve their grids.
Beware the macros, really the only danger seems to be trade wars and political lunacy.

Good to see someone with a more bullish short term time frame than myself! I think they'll be closer to about 750-800k capacity by end of this year, and they'll announce an estimate/goal of 1million cars next year. That would still be extremely bullish compared to analyst's estimates; it would be 100% increase in volume since this year (granted, a covid limited year).

MarketWatch - hour ago: Tesla fans snap up bonds tied to car maker's leases, its first such offering during pandemic

Excerpt:

Tesla Inc. TSLA, -0.77% saw high demand this week for a bond deal tied to leases on its electric vehicles, a first of its kind during the pandemic. As investors piled orders into the 8-tranche bond deal, the car maker was able to borrow more than $700 million at cheaper levels than initially anticipated. Specifically, its largest $215 million slug of AAA-rated bonds that mature in 1.1-years cleared the market at a spread of 35 basis points above a risk-free benchmark to yield 0.56%.

Curt — do you think the 4.6% bonds will ever get to the retail market? At how much higher price to squeeze the coupon?

I thought I was pretty smart buying TSLA in May 2013. By the time I'd picked up my P85+ in September of that year, it was up 90%!

But after underwhelming Q3 earnings and 3 Tesla fires, it dropped over 35% by the end of November. I seriously considered selling it all.

Screen Shot 2020-08-01 at 1.30.36 PM.png

Good thing I was already driving a Tesla and therefore knew what many people didn't yet, that Tesla was about to disrupt the entire industry (if they could stay in business). So I decided to HODL ;).

IMG_1797.jpeg

Good thing I did.

So to all those concerned about the short term dip - don't be. I'm even more bullish now (because I think Tesla is a way more sustainable company now) than I was in 2013.

Last edited:
Urteil nach Tesla-Unfall: Gericht verbietet Touchscreen-Bedienung

The problem with this court ruling is that we Tesla drivers face fines (€200 in this case) for using the touch screen while driving. It is mot Tesla being fined, but any Tesla driver can be fined if he is caught using the touch screen while driving.

As the article states, this is not a problem limited to Tesla. VW has the volume control for the radio on a slider and BMW has other functions on touch, which are not allowed to use while driving,

If this is the final word of the judges (as it seems it is) the auto interface designs must be rethought. Tesla is the only one who could solve this with an OTA update. The levers needed are in place (turn stalk, gear shifter and the very versatile wheels in the steering wheel.

I for one will be much more careful when using the touch screen while driving. Not that I won‘t do it, but I don‘t want to get caught. Oops: this is a public forum: I will probably never again use the touch screen while driving.
More voice controls w can resolve.

WSJ - this morning: Tesla Pulls Ahead in the Coronavirus Era After Elon Musk’s Years of Struggle

Excerpt:

For all of Elon Musk's public complaining about the handling of the pandemic, Tesla Inc. is shaping up to be one of the biggest business winners of the Covid-19 era.

After years of losses that made many investors wonder if the Silicon Valley car maker could ever operate in the black, Tesla has sustained a profit through one of the worst economic shocks in history, helped in part by the sale of regulatory credits. It is expanding rapidly at a time when larger rivals are losing money and cutting production, even as they chase Tesla's lead in electric vehicles.

I thought I was pretty smart buying TSLA in May 2013. By the time I'd picked up my P85+ in September of that year, it was up 90%!

But after underwhelming Q3 earnings and 3 Tesla fires, it dropped over 35% by the end of November. I seriously considered selling it all.

View attachment 571354

Good thing I was already driving a Tesla and therefore knew what many people didn't yet, that Tesla was about to disrupt the entire industry (if they could stay in business). So I decided to HODL ;).

View attachment 571355

Good thing I did.

So to all those concerned about the short term dip - don't be. I'm even more bullish now (because I think Tesla is a way more sustainable company now) than I was in 2013.
I'm just happy to see a 2013 buyer who isn't talking about their thousands of shares and the islands they're gonna buy! Thanks!

How much depreciation, losses, forced retirements with compensation, pensions etc. will they need to take for all the idle factories and labor?

That is just the sunk cost fallacy.

Consumers aren't willing to pay cost plus reasonable profit for small cars.

With modern safety and emissions equipment. And customers expect a certain level of luxury equipment too. Like power windows, infotainment systems and air conditioning.

Europeans are far more likely to order top-spec subcompacts and micro cars than Americans. Still cars like the VW UP! are not profitable. No longer is the ICE Fiat 500 available, only electric 500 in top spec.

When electric drivetrains reach price parity it doesn't change the equation.

Electric drivetrains need to get significantly cheaper than ICE powertrains to make micro electric cars profitable.

That is why I say let the Indians and Chinese make electric microcars.

Tesla should make subcompact CUVs and bigger. Where the profits are.

Easier to just assign the wiper speed to one of the steering button (when operational), all by a software update and available next week...

Good point! Maybe every market will get it simultaneously.

I don't really have a problem with the wipers (I use auto-wipe with occasional manual presses of the swipe button) but it would be cool if one of the scroll wheels could momentarily become a sensitivity adjustment for auto-wipe within 2 seconds of having pressed the swipe button. Not sure this would satisfy the German judge who has a problem with Tesla's wipers but it would be my preferred solution.