Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In the interview Elon reiterated the aspiration to get to an annual vehicle production rate of 20 million. At a 50% growth rate, Tesla should be there by 2030. Despite being an automotive podcast, I wish Jason had asked a few questions about the energy side of Tesla's business. Still, it was an excellent interview and he did ask a lot of difficult questions especially in this third part.

In the interview Elon reiterated the aspiration to get to an annual vehicle production rate of 20 million. At a 50% growth rate, Tesla should be there by 2030. Despite being an automotive podcast, I wish Jason had asked a few questions about the energy side of Tesla's business. Still, it was an excellent interview and he did ask a lot of difficult questions especially in this third part.

Global car sales peaked in 2018 at 79 million. I expect them to continue to slide or maintain about that level over the next decade. 20 million cars would be over 20% of the total which I think is very doable.

Subject: Trading around MMD

I did notice a few messages on this thread indicating some trading around MMDs.

I was wondering how you approach this? What influence your buy and sell timings.
For example, are technicals (mid-BB) part of the factors considered? Do you wait for a 1-2% drop to see it as a selling point? @Artful Dodger ?

I am not referring to those instances where you "just buy" on the dips, even if dip that's part of MMD.

One approach that crossed my mind is to stay with TSLA all the time (buy or sell). Switching between options/LEAPs with higher, lower deltas is one way to do this. Switch to relatively longer dated LEAP at sell points and to shorter date LEAP (let's say at same strike price) at buy point.

I have been HODLer for years, recently got into LEAPs where I did ok, and very recently into shorter-term options where I burnt my fingers.
I am not a trader, nor have any inclination to take steps in that direction.
That said, the whole MMD is tempting me into playing a minor amount around that pattern(deceit by MMs).

Reactions: computerchuck
Looks like this week there are no significant Call strikes under 1500. Max Pain is at 1500.
How is that for grains of salt for you. All the volume today is hanging around the 1500 range on options. I think this is just everyone waiting for something to happen.

Attachments

• no calls.png
    no calls.png
    22.5 KB · Views: 42
Looks like this week there are no significant Call strikes under 1500. Max Pain is at 1500.
How is that for grains of salt for you. All the volume today is hanging around the 1500 range on options. I think this is just everyone waiting for something to happen.

Yup, someone please announce *something* for crying out loud...

This is another area that I disagree with common financial "wisdom". I've been retired for over 20 years without any income other than a small amount of dividend income that is mostly incidental. And I'm only 57 now so I still have a long ways to go (I hope). If I had retired with the plan to live off dividends, etc. I could have done that but I would of had to sell off most of my investments and buy dividend bearing stocks and/or bonds, annuities, etc. I could not have spent at the same level as I did. It's more capital efficient to make income from capital appreciation and continually sell off a small percentage of your stock (profit taking) and consider that your income.

It's a false distinction to create an imaginary line between income and capital appreciation. It's all capital, make it work for you. In retirement it's normal to spend down your capital. Ours has been increasing over the years even though our lifestyle is far from minimalistic. I attribute this to NOT making a false distinction between income and capital appreciation.

Not to mention that capital gains are usually more tax efficient than dividends.

I'm over-reliant on A Better Route Planner. Interesting... I wonder what the limit is now in terms of going east from Western Europe. At what point do I need to use the CCS/China (GB/T?) connector? (does it exist?)

I'm wondering if (in a few years) - fully possible to travel trans-siberian > Mongolia > China type routes.

I'll stick to Europe for now.
the most part these are CCS+CHAdeMO so the standard EU CCS should work fine. For some time the Moscow Tesla Club had at least two Superchargers, with at least some stations accepting both US and EU style plugs, as most EU Superchargers do. A quick check with the Moscow Tesla Club will give current information.

• Informative
Reactions: wipster
This is another area that I disagree with common financial "wisdom". I've been retired for over 20 years without any income other than a small amount of dividend income that is mostly incidental. And I'm only 57 now so I still have a long ways to go (I hope). If I had retired with the plan to live off dividends, etc. I could have done that but I would of had to sell off most of my investments and buy dividend bearing stocks and/or bonds, annuities, etc. I could not have spent at the same level as I did. It's more capital efficient to make income from capital appreciation and continually sell off a small percentage of your stock (profit taking) and consider that your income.

It's a false distinction to create an imaginary line between income and capital appreciation. It's all capital, make it work for you. In retirement it's normal to spend down your capital. Ours has been increasing over the years even though our lifestyle is far from minimalistic. I attribute this to NOT making a false distinction between income and capital appreciation.

If I had a mulligan on any life decision, it would be retirement age. I wish I had retired much sooner.

@StealthP3D Great choice.

Edit: I misspoke, my official retirement date is 1 September 2020.

About friggin time we get some new cars to Europe. TT, the Swedish version of AP just put out an article about how Tesla only sold 11 cars in all of July here. The only explanation they gave was that the factory had been partially closed because of Corona. Guess they had no idea there are no Teslas available to buy in the country. Looking at the site now there are zero S or X listed and every single 3 listed is listed as being 'under transport' so I assume they are on the ship arriving to Europe tomorrow.

I hope everything works out for you and your significant other. I am sure you have shared many memorable memories. I have this quote a good friend sent me and every time we encounter bad situations, i look at it, sometimes more than once:

View attachment 572286

aka HODL’ing in your marriage.

just make sure your partner is a TSLA and not a NKLA.