Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Both Saint Petersburg and Moscow are easily doable from Finland with fast charging free all the way from the closest Finland Supercharger. Tesla Club in Finland has all the critical information:
A quick guide for EV trips to Russia

Here is a link to their charging map, that shows public and Superchargers throughout, including the Arctic Circle locations.
Charging Points

I'm over-reliant on A Better Route Planner. Interesting... I wonder what the limit is now in terms of going east from Western Europe. At what point do I need to use the CCS/China (GB/T?) connector? (does it exist?)

I'm wondering if (in a few years) - fully possible to travel trans-siberian > Mongolia > China type routes.

I'll stick to Europe for now.

This is a point people on this thread don’t anticipate when talking about retirement. Things like this happen. Unfortunately they happen a lot. As an example, in my case I need over $100,000 a year for her care and this may go on over a decade. This requires income not the selling of capital.

This is another area that I disagree with common financial "wisdom". I've been retired for over 20 years without any income other than a small amount of dividend income that is mostly incidental. And I'm only 57 now so I still have a long ways to go (I hope). If I had retired with the plan to live off dividends, etc. I could have done that but I would of had to sell off most of my investments and buy dividend bearing stocks and/or bonds, annuities, etc. I could not have spent at the same level as I did. It's more capital efficient to make income from capital appreciation and continually sell off a small percentage of your stock (profit taking) and consider that your income.

It's a false distinction to create an imaginary line between income and capital appreciation. It's all capital, make it work for you. In retirement it's normal to spend down your capital. Ours has been increasing over the years even though our lifestyle is far from minimalistic. I attribute this to NOT making a false distinction between income and capital appreciation.

UK - My emphasis in bold red - so using it as a pan-european camper van might not be allowed.

Can you drive an electric van above 3500kg with a normal licence?

Motorists with a Category B licence – the conventional type you get when you pass your car driving test – are already allowed to drive most normal vans that weigh no more than 3500kg; however, the new legislation allows Category B licence holders to drive alternative fuel vans that weigh up to 4250kg.

Normally, motorists are required to obtain a Category C licence – i.e. an HGV licence – if they want to drive a vehicle that weighs more than 3500kg, and they also have to get a medical assessment. The new legislation means you don’t have to do that with vans that fall into this particular category.

What types of vans does the new legislation refer to?
The Department for Transport (DfT), which is responsible for the legislation, stipulates that alternative fuel vans must be powered by “electricity, natural gas, biogas or hydrogen or [a combination of] hydrogen and electricity”. Basically, the new legislation applies to vans that are not powered by petrol or diesel and weigh between 3500 and 4250kg.

The point is that the batteries that power electric vehicles are heavy, so it’s often difficult for manufacturers to fit them to LCVs and keep the weight beneath the traditional 3500kg level. They also need to factor in an acceptable amount of weight allowance for carrying cargo.

Is a normal driving licence all I need?
No, there are some conditions. Category B licence holders are not automatically allowed to drive the vehicles in question. Before they can get behind the wheel of a heavier alternative fuel van, they must first complete a minimum of five hours’ training at the helm of such a vehicle with a registered instructor.

The rules also state that the van has to be driven for the purpose of transporting goods and only within the territory of Great Britain (England, Scotland and Wales – but not Northern Ireland). You’re also not allowed to tow a trailer.

According to the DfT, the five hours’ training will be administered by the National Register of LGV Instructors (NRLI) or the National Vocational Driving Instructors Register (NVDI), both of which represent registered HGV driving instructors.

However, the Government has yet to issue any information about what the training will consist of or, other than contacting the aforementioned organisations, how to arrange it. Honest John Vans spoke to both the NRLI and the NVDI, neither of which could provide any information, and the Government’s own bodies – the DfT, the DVSA and the Office for Low Emission Vehicles – couldn’t help, either.
Interesting. A lot of hoops and some cost to go through for a regular driver though. Would be doable for anyone using a Cybertruck for work though.

I assume this exception came about to allow for some of those electric delivery vans from ups and others I've seen in some European cities. I can't think of an existing regular electric car this would matter for. Until the Cybertruck that is.

Strangely I've always assumed the 3500 kg limit was a safety issue to do with brakes, suspension etc holding up. Not sure how that would stop being an issue just because some of the weight is from batteries instead of payload.

Tony Sac on CNBC defending his $900 target. Not entirely irrational, I was surprised.

He just doesn't understand the transition to renewables and EVs. Talked of 2030 projections and said literally nothing about energy. As if replacing the entire global energy system with technology won't be a profitable enterprise.

No need to think all these guys are villains with an agenda, most of them just don't get it.

Tony Sac on CNBC defending his $900 target. Not entirely irrational, I was surprised.

He just doesn't understand the transition to renewables and EVs. Talked of 2030 projections and said literally nothing about energy. As if replacing the entire global energy system with technology won't be a profitable enterprise.

No need to think all these guys are villains with an agenda, most of them just don't get it.

Curious that they trot him out a week later, no?

In Europe it's total weight that determines the payload capacity. At least if you want to drive it on a regular drivers license.

3500 kg. (Someone mentioned there was a higher limit for an electric vehicle. Don't know if that is correct. Seems odd)
They are subtracting the weight of the battery under the assumption that only the body and payload count.

• Helpful
Reactions: UkNorthampton
If the agreement is you sell the additional shares offered at the closing price on a particular day
AND
you can manipulate the closing price for that particular day's end.

WHY
all this unnecessary boredom?

Is anyone being fooled by this (besides the SEC) ?

Thanks @Papafox for sharing all this information. Note that the S&P500 index balancing is done on a fixed schedule. The next one has an effective date of September 18, 2020 (download the spreadsheet in the Index Balancing section on the webpage Methodologies - S&P Dow Jones Indices).
But stocks come and go on dates other than the rebalancing dates, as has been discussed at length.

If the agreement is you sell the additional shares offered at the closing price on a particular day
AND
you can manipulate the closing price for that particular day's end.

WHY
all this unnecessary boredom?

Is anyone being fooled by this (besides the SEC) ?

I think we're in limbo waiting for the S&P - I don't think S&P themselves have anything to do with it, they're oblivious. They should at least say "yeah, yeah, we're looking at it". As I said last week, this is hardly something out of the blue, I find it incredibly unprofessional that they didn't announce the day after 10-Q was filed.

The only ones benefitting from the information vacuum are the options sellers.

Last edited:
Or you could use options to potentially reduce the price.

C) buy 100 shares now, and sell a covered call. You receive the option premium to lower the cost of the shares, at the risk of losing them (for a profit) if the SP > strike price at expiration. Otoh, you make money even if shares are called away, instead of waiting for a $1200 SP that may never arrive.

D) buy 100 shares now around $1480 and place a ~1200/1960 collar on them that expires in 2 to 5 months. ThIs requires selling a call at $1960 and buying a put at $1200 for each 100 shares you buy. The collar is free.

a. If TSLA falls before expiration, you can sell the collar for a profit and keep the shares for an effectively lower price. For example, if TSLA went down to $1200 next week on a Oct 16 collar, you could sell the collar for about $130/share.
b. If TSLA is between $1200 and $1980 at expiration, the collar expires worthless and you keep the shares.
c. If TSLA is above $1980 at expiration, you lose the TSLA shares for $500 profit each.
d) If TSLA is below $1200 at expiration, the collar is worth 1200 - TSLA SP for each share. The collar guarantees your shares are worth at least $1200.

Last week I did (D) except at 1100/2100 and bought DITM calls instead of shares.

Thank you very much for your idea C. Tired of waiting for my $1410 limit order, so I tried it this morning, and we’ll see what happens: 200 @ $1505 and 9/4 $1670 at $59. Idea seems very clever, and I’m thinking I’ll try it continuously, as I like selling covered calls but have stayed away during this recent volatile period.

• Informative
Reactions: computerchuck