Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is another area that I disagree with common financial "wisdom". I've been retired for over 20 years without any income other than a small amount of dividend income that is mostly incidental. And I'm only 57 now so I still have a long ways to go (I hope). If I had retired with the plan to live off dividends, etc. I could have done that but I would of had to sell off most of my investments and buy dividend bearing stocks and/or bonds, annuities, etc. I could not have spent at the same level as I did. It's more capital efficient to make income from capital appreciation and continually sell off a small percentage of your stock (profit taking) and consider that your income.

It's a false distinction to create an imaginary line between income and capital appreciation. It's all capital, make it work for you. In retirement it's normal to spend down your capital. Ours has been increasing over the years even though our lifestyle is far from minimalistic. I attribute this to NOT making a false distinction between income and capital appreciation.
Funny how things work out, if you’re sensible like that. ;)

And now you have the full set of responses. :rolleyes:

What if Nikola is all a side show aimed at making alternative energy appear stupid?

I too have wondered this as it’s eventual demise could potentially impact TSLA.

if TSLA has knocked FSD out of the park, and has launched amazing new even longer range batteries before the implosion of NKLA, then the impact would likely be limited.

If I had a mulligan on any life decision, it would be retirement age. I wish I had retired much sooner.

@StealthP3D Great choice.

Edit: I misspoke, my official retirement date is 1 September 2020.

This is consistently the message I've personally experienced from others I know that have retired. One variation, after some time being retired, is "where did I ever find the time to go to work 8 hours per day, 5 days per week!?!".

Sadly, I don't yet have my retirement date set, but maybe later this year ...

OT Cybertruck before market opens:

Tax Deductions for Vehicles Over 6,000lbs » Taxhub.

The Model X also qualified for this.

Outside of the $25,000 allowed for Section 179 depreciation of vehicles over 6,000 pounds, the IRS also permits something known as bonus depreciation. Unlike Section 179, it only applies to assets that were purchased new. Anything that you buy used or pre-owned will not be eligible. Also, unlike most deductions, this one does not carry a dollar-based limit. On the contrary, you are eligible for a tax benefit amounting to 50% of the purchase price. If you buy a $100,000 truck, that means that $50,000 can be immediately expensed under bonus depreciation in the first year, so long as it was solely used for business.

It would seem that if Tesla is willing to include potential savings in fuel and tax credits on their web site, it would follow that this too should be mentioned for the unknowing.
Section 179 expensing relates to DEDUCTIONS (above the bottom line - before taxes) whereas CREDITs relate to the bottom line and are taken off of the bottom line (after taxes - pure "gold")

I too have wondered this as it’s eventual demise could potentially impact TSLA.

if TSLA has knocked FSD out of the park, and has launched amazing new even longer range batteries before the implosion of NKLA, then the impact would likely be limited.

If Tesla solved L5 FSD while every other car maker is still on some version of L2 that's game over- NKLA could be found with the corpse of the Lindbergh baby and it'd make no difference at all to Tesla.

(that said I remain exceedingly skeptical that's a thing that they'll be able to do on the existing sensor suite- though I think something like L3 or maybe even L4 specifically on divided controlled-access freeways is entirely possible and still well ahead of any other car maker)

Tony Sac on CNBC defending his $900 target. Not entirely irrational, I was surprised.

He just doesn't understand the transition to renewables and EVs. Talked of 2030 projections and said literally nothing about energy. As if replacing the entire global energy system with technology won't be a profitable enterprise.

No need to think all these guys are villains with an agenda, most of them just don't get it.
Curious that they trot him out a week later, no?
It’s his second appearance. He was definitely the featured guest during power lunch the day his note came out.
Wall Street needs to keep trying to maintain a lid on TSLA until the S&P 500 related funds can buy shares. CNBC is apparently happy to help. :rolleyes:

The pure S&P 500 funds simply want to track the index. However, other funds only buy a selection of stocks in the index, yet want to beat the index. Meanwhile, if a subsequent offering of TSLA shares coincides with index entry, the investment banks would like the shares to be at an attractive price for all potential buyers.

Last edited:
It's more capital efficient to make income from capital appreciation and continually sell off a small percentage of your stock (profit taking) and consider that your income.

Why wouldn't you take out margin loans every year to fund your living considering that you have a very large portfolio. You avoid paying tax and selling shares that gain more per year than the interest rate charged on the loans? Even if you cap your margin loan to 20% of your portfolio, that should still represent a large sum of money.

If Tesla solved L5 FSD while every other car maker is still on some version of L2 that's game over- NKLA could be found with the corpse of the Lindbergh baby and it'd make no difference at all to Tesla.

(that said I remain exceedingly skeptical that's a thing that they'll be able to do on the existing sensor suite- though I think something like L3 or maybe even L4 specifically on divided controlled-access freeways is entirely possible and still well ahead of any other car maker)

L5 is not going to be an overnight event with 1 release of new OTA software. When Tesla gets to the point of "feature complete FSD" that they release, that will still be officially L2 for a while -- i.e. legally the driver remains responsible and may need to take over any moment.

That will be followed by a long iterative fleet-learning process, where driver interruption data is streamed back to the mothership for the next iteration learning of the NN. Release that OTA, then rinse and repeat, then repeat, then repeat, many times*... At some point in that process it will be re-classified as L3 (at which point the driver is no longer at full responsibility all the time and the car needs to ask the driver to take over sometimes) and more iterations will repeat. And so on and so forth to reach L4 and eventually L5.

My point is, its a long process which merely starts by the release of "feature complete FSD" as Elon calls it.
So do not count on that impacting financials or the SP in the short term.

* anybody who paid attention to the presentations on "autopilot day" should understand this

This is consistently the message I've personally experienced from others I know that have retired. One variation, after some time being retired, is "where did I ever find the time to go to work 8 hours per day, 5 days per week!?!".

Sadly, I don't yet have my retirement date set, but maybe later this year ...
Maybe there should be a thread created about this. Since being furloughed 4 months ago, boredom is killing me. Obviously COVID restrictions exacerbate the problem.

Not knowing what I'm going to do each and every day 6 days/week has thrown me off my game. I need daily structure and have not (yet) been able to create enough new routines.

Not complaining.The lack of pressure is awesome. My net worth has boomed this year because of TSLA so I'm in very good financial shape. But my mind needs challenges. Can someone here help direct me to the mindset of "where did I ever find the time to go to work 8 hours per day, 5 days per week!?"

Phhht. Just another muddy field.

seroiusly, I'm not a construction engineer, but it looks like there is a LOT of activity going on. Any more equipment out there and they'd be getting in each others' way. When these guys decide to build a factory, they don’t screw around.
In a couple of cases, the watering can guy actually watered one of the earth smoother guys

Reactions: Prunesquallor
Maybe there should be a thread created about this. Since being furloughed 4 months ago, boredom is killing me. Obviously COVID restrictions exacerbate the problem.

Not knowing what I'm going to do each and every day 6 days/week has thrown me off my game. I need daily structure and have not (yet) been able to create enough new routines.

Not complaining.The lack of pressure is awesome. My net worth has boomed this year because of TSLA so I'm in very good financial shape. But my mind needs challenges. Can someone here help direct me to the mindset of "where did I ever find the time to go to work 8 hours per day, 5 days per week!?"

Don't want to go too OT - but because it will impact a number of TSLA investors... IMHO some things that have worked for me.

Start some structure by:

1. Committing to investing some of your new found time and wealth into physical fitness.
Hire a personal trainer to work with you at whatever level you are. (Among other things - this will heavily impact your thinking and brain function / how you feel)

2. Learn about what a REAL healthy diet looks like - there's a lot of NKLA's & fool cells out there. It is worth reading and learning about.

TSLA @ $22K isn't as useful to us if we don't have the health to enjoy it.

Wishing you and everyone else BOTH $22K TSLA stock and the health to enjoy it.

Last edited:

You're suddenly well off, your lifelong friends are not. Now what?

This thread might not be exactly what you're thinking, but I suspect it's close enough that this conversation will fit in quite well.