Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
THIS! is what I believe has the stock rising today. The shortz do not have a plan...yet.
They are trying to figure out what is really in place. When they know they can formulate a strategy, and THEY WILL ACT.
To this ant it means expect an attack from another colony, but the other colony doesn't even know whether it can attack...yet.
I expect some real shenanigans between now and Sept 1. Or hear of the other ant colony dying.
Do any of you understand shortz enough to be able to tell us what they are going to do?

IMG-20200812-WA0001.jpg

PS: meant to post it after the news yesterday, but better late than never

I feel like S&P inclusion will happen within the hour!!!

After-hours baseless speculation / conspiracy theory:

This is simultaneously a stock split and a stock dividend. Tesla is planning a secondary offering to appease the S&P committee, and is going to use using the money to finance the stock dividend to burn the shorts.

It's interesting that Vanguard said a forward stock split and not a stock dividend although the word dividend is used.

Any indication why?
I think it's because it's customary for stock split to be done as a forward split. Regular stock dividends are done in a vastly different manner: 1:20, 1:10, or maybe 1:1. A 4:1 stock dividend is NOT normal which leads me to believe Elon has something in store for the shorts.

It might help to understand the difference between the stock price and the "Par value" of the shares. Tesla shares were created at a Par value of 0.01c each (I think that's right, but some trivial price anyway). Tesla is actually issuing lots and lots of these new shares, and it is costing them about 4*196M*$.0001 ~= $78,400 that moves from their cash to their "paid up capital" on the balance sheet. The value of the dividend to you is measured in fractions of euro cents. There are also tax treaties in place that I think mean that you won't be affected. (Australia has similar tax treaties with the US, and I have had splits of US stock while living in Oz. Nothing happened.)

Sorry all this tax talk I had to check my International Guide to Capital Gain's Taxes [based on my personal travel insights]:

For each TSLA share you sell, you need to give away:

Belgium: 10 Duvel beers
Netherlands: 1 bicycle
Sweden: 1 sh**ty IKEA bed
Denmark: 1,000,000 Lego pieces
Germany: 100 hardbread cucumber "sandwiches"
Russia: 1 Russian COVID19 vaccine to the politician of your choice
Spain: Your mullet
U.S. 10 pairs of cargo shorts
U.K. Your teeth
Australia: 50 bottles of sunscreen
China: A child
Canada: 10 bottles of maple syrup
Brazil: All nasalized vowels
Colombia: 1 lb of pulverized coca leafs
Morocco: 50 lbs of mint tea
Japan: 100 bottles of Porcari Sweat
Thailand: 10 framed pictures of the King
Peru: 20 pisco sours

New research paper from Jeff Dahn on progress on anode-free lithium metal cells:

Diagnosing and correcting anode-free cell failure via electrolyte and morphological analysis | Nature Energy

Anode-free lithium metal cells store 60% more energy per volume than conventional lithium-ion cells. Such high energy density can increase the range of electric vehicles by approximately 280 km or even enable electrified urban aviation. However, these cells tend to experience rapid capacity loss and short cycle life. Furthermore, safety issues concerning metallic lithium often remain unaddressed in the literature/QUOTE]

tenor.gif

After-hours baseless speculation / conspiracy theory:

This is simultaneously a stock split and a stock dividend. Tesla is planning a secondary offering to appease the S&P committee, and is going to use using the money to finance the stock dividend to burn the shorts.

Idea being shareholders still get a meteoric rise due to forced (?) covering.

S&P funds get an offering to buy into.

Everyone happy except the shorts. Sure, what’s not to love?