Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you honestly think Wall St and the markets will halt trading #TSLA for a week so it can satisfy the split?

No, that was point I was trying to make.
On 21st record date, owner of stock becomes eligible for 4 additional stocks(dividends)
If owner sells on 22nd, not only does he sell his stock, but also the rights to owning the dividend stocks.
(This is in contrast to the more common cash dividend, which goes to the owner of the stock on record date, regardless of if he sells after that).

Reactions: SpaceCash
Thanks.

So no trading b/w 21st - 28th?

For Cash Dividends, the Person on record date gets the dividend and after that he can sell the next day and still get the dividend.

So there must be a rule that if you sell b/w 21st-28th, you also forfeit your dividend shares?

This was shared by another member earlier. Wording from the Netflix split helps answer your question:
There is a "due-bill" attached to shares traded between 21st-28th.

LOS GATOS, Calif., June 23, 2015 - Netflix, Inc. (Nasdaq: NFLX) announced today that its Board of Directors has approved a seven-for-one stock split to be effected in the form of a stock dividend of six additional shares of common stock for each outstanding share of common stock. The stock dividend will be payable on July 14, 2015 to stockholders of record at the close of business on July 2, 2015. The new shares will be delivered by Netflix’s transfer agent Computershare Trust Company.
Netflix stock will begin trading regular way at the post-split price on July 15, 2015. Any shares purchased between the July 2, 2015 record date and the July 14, 2015 payment date will come with a "due-bill" entitling the buyer to six additional shares for each share purchased.

This was shared by another member earlier. Wording from the Netflix split helps answer your question:
There is a "due-bill" attached to shares traded between 21st-28th.

LOS GATOS, Calif., June 23, 2015 - Netflix, Inc. (Nasdaq: NFLX) announced today that its Board of Directors has approved a seven-for-one stock split to be effected in the form of a stock dividend of six additional shares of common stock for each outstanding share of common stock. The stock dividend will be payable on July 14, 2015 to stockholders of record at the close of business on July 2, 2015. The new shares will be delivered by Netflix’s transfer agent Computershare Trust Company.
Netflix stock will begin trading regular way at the post-split price on July 15, 2015. Any shares purchased between the July 2, 2015 record date and the July 14, 2015 payment date will come with a "due-bill" entitling the buyer to six additional shares for each share purchased.

Thanks, this was the part I was trying to understand.

Reactions: hiroshiy
No, that was point I was trying to make.
On 21st record date, owner of stock becomes eligible for 4 additional stocks(dividends)
If owner sells on 22nd, not only does he sell his stock, but also the rights to owning the dividend stocks.
(This is in contrast to the more common cash dividend, which goes to the owner of the stock on record date, regardless of if he sells after that).
Ok....i get what you're trying to say now.

Also, while i too was against the buyout, having solar city publicly go bankrupt would give a lot of ammunition to the anti solar crowd and push back solar progress in the USA. Just think Solindra all over again But this time connected to Elon’s name. In the end , Elon did a good thing.

As a shareholder I lost a little money due to the merger, and it makes me cry.

Animated GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

Instead what we got was an invigorated TSLAQ, which had just recently formed. The solar tile unveiling event at Universal Studios was the catalyst for TeslaCharts, for instance, to join the newly formed group. Ya'll love the short sellers, right?

Musk was almost certainly the driving force for Space-X to invest hundreds of millions of dollars in Solar City bonds. That was a huge mistake, as Solar City's business model was just about as flawed as Nikola's is today. The return on the massive up-front capital needed to front all the solar leases simply wasn't high enough to warrant a public company trading at the multiples SCTY was trading at. Risking Space-X on Solar City's ability to stay solvent was a gutsy move, but not the right thing to do.

In the end, to save Space-X, Musk hampered Tesla's execution abilities, delayed its delivery timelines, diluted shareholder equity for an entity that was a financial drag on the company for years, and provided fuel for rational people to doubt Tesla.

Last edited:
Each stockholder of record on August 21, 2020 will receive a dividend of four additional shares of common stock for each then-held share, to be distributed after close of trading on August 28, 2020

So technically you could sell your share on Aug 22nd, get the current price for stock, and on the 28th you could get 4 shares (80%) back for free. Sucker who buys on 22nd pays full price and gets 20% (1/5th) the shares on the 28th ..
(Haven't heard mention of halted trading for this week?)

So in all week b/w 21st-28th will be interesting. If it was only split then the story would end there, but then we have S&P, battery day and Q3 to look forward to after the split that will add buying pressure, otherwise I think market shenanigans would pull down the SP ...
Please stop this idiocy.

Instead what we got was an invigorated TSLAQ, which had just recently formed. The solar tile unveiling event at Universal Studios was the catalyst for TeslaCharts, for instance, to join the newly formed group. Ya'll love the short sellers, right?

Musk was almost certainly the driving force for Space-X to invest hundreds of millions of dollars in Solar City bonds. That was a huge mistake, as Solar City's business model was just about as flawed as Nikola's is today. The return on the massive up-front capital needed to front all the solar leases simply wasn't high enough to warrant a public company trading at the multiples SCTY was trading at. Risking Space-X on Solar City's ability to stay solvent was a gutsy move, but not the right thing to do.

In the end, to save Space-X, Musk hampered Tesla's execution abilities, delayed its delivery timelines, diluted shareholder equity for an entity that was a financial drag on the company for years, and provided fuel for rational people to doubt Tesla.
So the right thing to do would be let Tesla invest in future SpaceX rounds or buy them outright to repay our losses?
I don’t mind that.:D

Man, I'm seriously considering starting an EV startup.. just need some even way more crazy ideas. How about a floating one? Solves parking space problems since you can just leave it to float?
Could travel across water too. Lets utilize earths very strong magnetic field.
Funding secured.
And go public and at launch IPO become the next billionaire with Trevor, sell all your shares right away.

• Funny
you'd have to be a moron to think this is how it's going to work.

Because of how cash dividends work, I wanted the official version of how a stock dividend works. The Tesla communication does not explain that. No one mentioned that trading would halt.

The moronic question bought out the correct, true answer from @accountant on how Netflix dividend split works. That was what I was working to get at.
Only that statement mattered, rest of the replies were all noise ;)

Yes. Actually I'm going to invent a nuclear car. Lets call it Fusion-e or something like that. I like the sound of Fusion Nuclear Motors.

Drawing powerpoints right now.
If you could actually make a nuclear reactor small enough, this wouldn't be an absolutely terrible idea. The problem is that you can't. That's why they have nuclear powered submarines and ships but not cars.

If you could actually make a nuclear reactor small enough, this wouldn't be an absolutely terrible idea. The problem is that you can't. That's why they have nuclear powered submarines and ships but not cars.

Here we go! Wanna join my gofundme?

Might have some trouble with turning it off and on, but shouldn't be too hard to solve.

LOL this guy is such a troll

Screenshot_20200815_111628.jpg