Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Weekend OT

Just convinced my better half that we should get a Model Y to hold us over until Cybertruck. We currently have just the 3 but need another especially as my wife wants to drive 500 miles rt on the weekends to run in the white mountains And be able to sleep in the vehicle. We were looking at Sprinter conversions but I couldn’t bring myself to pay that much money, or any, for ICE. Only question now is do I go for FSD as we’ll very likely sell it in 12-18 months for the tri-motor cyber.

This will impact the stock price $1x.00002..../5. :p

Weekend OT

Just convinced my better half that we should get a Model Y to hold us over until Cybertruck. We currently have just the 3 but need another especially as my wife wants to drive 500 miles rt on the weekends to run in the white mountains And be able to sleep in the vehicle. We were looking at Sprinter conversions but I couldn’t bring myself to pay that much money, or any, for ICE. Only question now is do I go for FSD as we’ll very likely sell it in 12-18 months for the tri-motor cyber.

This will impact the stock price $1x.00002..../5. :p
I think that depends on the reason for getting FSD. For me it was because I'm afraid of falling asleep on a long trip. The price for FSD is a bargain compared to falling asleep and crashing. You'll have to decide based on your own experience.

weekend OT

Omg, another Tesla killer is coming

Home

Now why can't Tesla incorporate that kind of sensible and timeless design language into their products? :confused:

5f337bf393ebbb337ffcaa33_profile%20studio.jpg

You guys remember that FUD news saying Tesla China was suspected to had organized a HUGE fleet sales with big discounts which comprises FIVE cars?

Tesla canceled the delivery of one of them on the basis of prohibited resale of orders.

So Tesla was not offering any discount on those cars at all. PDD gave the winners the price difference and place orders for them from tesla.com with MSRP.

Anyone remember how much did we drop on that FUD? Can we get it back now?

Last edited:
On the surface, absolutely Tesla should have let Solar City go bankrupt (and they did pay "too much" for it).

But the world is never simple or neat and everything is connected. Going back to that time and place, Tesla was fragile and still had need for massive amounts of investor financing and growing companies need to constantly hire new talent. The loss of confidence in Elon and associated people that certainly would have happened had Solar City gone bankrupt would have certainly made it more difficult for Tesla to raise money and continue to attract top talent at a critical time in Tesla's history.

Elon understood this and took the safest most direct route to protect the things he had created and increase the success of the overall mission. It was not "by the book" or technically the "correct" thing to do, but this is what makes Elon such a valuable leader - he can pull off stunts that would cause others to crash and burn (whether they attempted the stunt or decided it was too improper). It's almost like he can see the future of every possible path he could take and is then able to chose the path with the most happy ending. It's an exceedingly rare quality and is the very definition of "vision". And Elon has it in spades.

We don't need to debate whether this was the technically "proper" thing to do, I'm willing to concede it was not - and we don't need to debate whether it was the best path either - the proof is in the pudding. ;)
Also, while i too was against the buyout, having solar city publicly go bankrupt would give a lot of ammunition to the anti solar crowd and push back solar progress in the USA. Just think Solindra all over again But this time connected to Elon’s name. In the end , Elon did a good thing.

As a shareholder I lost a little money due to the merger, and it makes me cry.

Animated GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: oldTAVguy and stef
Indeed, I expect its those larger non-index funds doing much of the buying this week, although I don't think they're trying to front-run the index funds. I think mostly, they'll outperform the index funds as buy'n'hold investors (which is their selling point to clients)

Cheers!
Guess those guys are basing the buys on their 'fiduciary responsibilities' to their clients ;)

Each stockholder of record on August 21, 2020 will receive a dividend of four additional shares of common stock for each then-held share, to be distributed after close of trading on August 28, 2020

So technically you could sell your share on Aug 22nd, get the current price for stock, and on the 28th you could get 4 shares (80%) back for free. Sucker who buys on 22nd pays full price and gets 20% (1/5th) the shares on the 28th ..
(Haven't heard mention of halted trading for this week?)

So in all week b/w 21st-28th will be interesting. If it was only split then the story would end there, but then we have S&P, battery day and Q3 to look forward to after the split that will add buying pressure, otherwise I think market shenanigans would pull down the SP ...

Last edited:
Each stockholder of record on August 21, 2020 will receive a dividend of four additional shares of common stock for each then-held share, to be distributed after close of trading on August 28, 2020

So technically you could sell your share on Aug 22nd, get the current price for stock, and on the 28th you could get 4 shares (80%) back for free. Sucker who buys on 22nd pays full price and gets 20% (1/5th) the shares on the 28th ..

So in all week b/w 21st-28th will be interesting. If it was only split then the story would end there, but then we have S&P, battery day and Q3 to look forward to after the split that will add buying pressure, otherwise I think market shenanigans would pull down the SP ...

It doesn't work that way. Buyers of stock between the 21st and the 28th get the other four shares from the seller because it doesn't start trading post-split until after the 28th. I know it sounds confusing but it works just how you think it should. No one gets free shares and no one gets less than they paid for.

The tally on the 21 is just that, a tally. It doesn’t lock in place who get the new shares and who don’t. When you sell shares on the 25, you transfer your right to new shares as well.

Thanks.
It doesn't work that way. Buyers of stock between the 21st and the 28th get the other four shares from the seller because it doesn't start trading post-split until after the 28th. I know it sounds confusing but it works just how you think it should. No one gets free shares and no one gets less than they paid for.

So no trading b/w 21st - 28th?

The tally on the 21 is just that, a tally. It doesn’t lock in place who get the new shares and who don’t. When you sell shares on the 25, you transfer your right to new shares as well.

For Cash Dividends, the Person on record date gets the dividend and after that he can sell the next day and still get the dividend.

So there must be a rule that if you sell b/w 21st-28th, you also forfeit your dividend shares?

Also, while i too was against the buyout, having solar city publicly go bankrupt would give a lot of ammunition to the anti solar crowd and push back solar progress in the USA. Just think Solindra all over again But this time connected to Elon’s name. In the end , Elon did a good thing.

As a shareholder I lost a little money due to the merger, and it makes me cry.

Animated GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY
I agree. SolarCity bankruptcy would have been terrible for both team Elon and team climate change. Elon is such a massive value add to the company and to the mission that, even when we don't agree with the decision, it is worth holding our noses and going with it.

Ultimately nothing can stop this juggernaut. Creating conflict over what was a relatively minor issue is detrimental to the long term prospects of Tesla.

I am reminded of one quip about US politics. For democrats to win, voters have the fall in love, for republicans they have to fall in line.

I agree. SolarCity bankruptcy would have been terrible for both team Elon and team climate change. Elon is such a massive value add to the company and to the mission that, even when we don't agree with the decision, it is worth holding our noses and going with it.

When SCTY was at $17, just before Tesla purchasing, I had sold $11 PUTS for like $10, so worked out well for me :) (What did I know the premium was so high because MM thought SCTY was going to bankruptcy)

Thanks.

So no trading b/w 21st - 28th?

I'm not sure how you derived that from my comments.

For Cash Dividends, the Person on record date gets the dividend and after that he can sell the next day and still get the dividend.

So there must be a rule that if you b/w 21st-28th, you also forfeit your dividend shares?

And that is why this is a stock split and not a dividend in the conventional sense of the word. The stock will trade at the normal pre-split price through the 28th.

I'm not sure how you derived that from my comments.

And that is why this is a stock split and not a dividend in the conventional sense of the word. The stock will trade at the normal pre-split price through the 28th.

Trading is one thing, the dividends(stocks) need to also be part of the deal. That would make it a fair trade.
Ownership of the dividends will need to be transferred (unlike the cash dividend).