Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My timing is better this time. I sold 125 shares Friday evening at the peak, bought back 1 call deep an long yesterday, thinking of picking up another now. Shares or Options is the question. Gotta buy something!!! I've never tried weeklies, but if I were a gambling man, I'd consider picking up a contract expiring just before batteryday, and just buy it on the discount if needed. Is that crazy?

I think we see a run up tomorrow morning as MMs look to suck in new retail investors. At some point tomorrow or Tuesday there will be a rug pull. This is purely my read based on investor psychology and generally overbought conditions for TSLA and the tech market. This predicted dip might be a great opportunity to position yourselves for buying more stock or options. I also think IV will be up tomorrow. We still finish the week higher around 450. ...

Of course all bets are off if S&P finally makes the announcement this week. It is so nice to use this potential inclusion information to make any short term bets. In other words you can be more aggressive.

My post from Sunday seems to be aging well :) including my take on IV, the rug pull arrived on Wednesday instead of Tuesday. Assuming no S&P announcement this week I think we mostly trade sideways until Friday.

The correct share amount is now visible :) but I know that other shareholders canceled their account because of the unacceptable processing time

I just telephoned my broker Equiniti (for a second time) to complain (again) as the new shares are still not in. I was told a story about them not receiving the shares. I informed them that many brokers had managed this efficiently and so I am going to transfer to another broker. I have now opened an account with IG and will leave Equiniti in due course. They've blown it.

If S&P addition is inevitable, and that will force a ton of buying, I don't understand why anyone would be selling or shorting right now. Only things I can think of:
- S&P addition is not inevitable
- S&P pop is over hyped and will not materialize
- people don't know about S&P inclusion

It just doesn't make any sense to me. I must be missing something.

I wanted to sell some shares from my Roth account and accidentally sold them from my regular individual account. I noticed my error right away and tried to cancel the order but it was too late, already sold. So I immediately put in a buy order at the same number of shares and price. That executed as well. So my question is, on the whole is this a taxable situation? There was literally a 4 minute gap in ownership.
Unless you get the brokerage to change it before the end of the day, you will have a tax obligation. They should be able to change it. It was a mistake.

edit: I take that back: buying it back might be a problem.

Last edited:
I wanted to sell some shares from my Roth account and accidentally sold them from my regular individual account. I noticed my error right away and tried to cancel the order but it was too late, already sold. So I immediately put in a buy order at the same number of shares and price. That executed as well. So my question is, on the whole is this a taxable situation? There was literally a 4 minute gap in ownership.
I made the same mistake about 6 years ago. Totally taxable event.

The market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent.

With that being said, I would be hard pressed to think that I'm not a buyer at these levels with the following coming up in the next 6-8 weeks.
- S&P 500 inclusion
- Battery Day announcements
- Q3 Delivery report
- Q3 Earnings report

Reactions: capster and Jovian
Unless you get the brokerage to change it before the end of the day, you will have a tax obligation. They should be able to change it. It was a mistake.

yes the holder should be allowed to direct how to treat the lot

fifo
lifo
highest price
ltgc
stcg
etc etc

at IB the tool is called “tax optimizer” and can be used even after the trade is executed - maybe until end of day like you said

• Informative
Reactions: Dig deeper

Yes it is a taxable event. They are two separate transactions so the time gap does not matter. You will owe taxes on what you sold.

I just telephoned my broker Equiniti (for a second time) to complain (again) as the new shares are still not in. I was told a story about them not receiving the shares. I informed them that many brokers had managed this efficiently and so I am going to transfer to another broker. I have now opened an account with IG and will leave Equiniti in due course. They've blown it.
The share count in my UK ISA and share account were correct yesterday but with zero equity value. Today they have (correct) equity values assigned and can be traded (all according to the timeline that was given by the provider before the split).

Well, if you sold the shares at a loss (hahaha) this would become a wash sale when you re-bought. But if you made a profit, there are two bad consequences: 1. You owe tax on the profit, and 2. the clock for the holding to be long term capital gains has re-started.

I would call your broker, explain the situation, and ask if there's any way they can cancel both trades. I have no idea if this is possible, but it can't hurt to ask. At this point it's all book entries. Do it soon.