Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess the naked short sellers are back....
I don't know about naked, but Monday -- which was an up day for the stock price -- was a reporting date for short interest. Unless the current shorting is covered before the next reporting date I expect that short interest will have increased substantially from Monday.

More particularly, I expect Monday to show a significant decline in short interest (the prior reporting date was actually an uptick, going against the trend of successively lower short interest) while the next reporting date I expect to show an increase. Given the tenacity of $TSLAQ I don't think any spike from yesterday and today will be completely covered before the next reporting date.

(When I say "short interest" here I'm talking about shares shorted, normalized for the split, rather than value at risk. The latter is often driven by the stock price as the percent change in $TSLA is usually greater than the percent change in short interest.)

[edit: 'record' changed to 'reporting']

Yeah the broker facilitates the transactions and acts as an intermediary. A is made whole by having their account (internally) track 5 new shares lent instead of 1 old share. A can sell these shares at any time, they are no less whole than when only 1 old share was lent.

5 lent new shares is just as valid a journal entry as 1 lent old share.
OK, how's this: there are 42M more book entries in the market than Tesla issued shares. I give up.

Aha, but there you make the assumption that they actually delivered you shares when you bought them :p

Seriously though, I'd be really pissed if my bank had screwed-up like this...

The correct share amount is now visible :) but I know that other shareholders canceled their account because of the unacceptable processing time

I wanted to sell some shares from my Roth account and accidentally sold them from my regular individual account. I noticed my error right away and tried to cancel the order but it was too late, already sold. So I immediately put in a buy order at the same number of shares and price. That executed as well. So my question is, on the whole is this a taxable situation? There was literally a 4 minute gap in ownership.

I wanted to sell some shares from my Roth account and accidentally sold them from my regular individual account. I noticed my error right away and tried to cancel the order but it was too late, already sold. So I immediately put in a buy order at the same number of shares and price. That executed as well. So my question is, on the whole is this a taxable situation? There was literally a 4 minute gap in ownership.
Yup, taxable. Unless you sell something at a loss to cancel the gains.

OK, how's this: there are 42M more book entries in the market than Tesla issued shares. I give up.

Yes, because (in the case of above the board shorting) the account holders signed an agreement allowing their shares to be lent out. Thus creating the situation where there are more account entries than real shares. This is expected and normal.

I deposit money in the bank (and get interest). The bank lends the money out (and charges interest). Someone takes out an auto loan and buys a car for $5k. So they have a $5k loan (debt), someone has $5k they got for selling the car, and my balance still shows $10k. Is there suddenly $15k of cash? No, there is only $10k, but as long as there isn't a run on deposits, then it's transparent to the parties involved. The bank is liquid enough to pay out deposits when requested.

Reactions: FrankSG
Borrowed from /r/wallstreetbets:

ypskbos5vpk51.jpg

Allegedly some brokers let you tax swap after the fact (but before settlement) so you could potentially swap the "new" shares as the ones sold.

YMMV on legality (sounds shady as hell to me) but I know at least one person who did that over on Etrade in a similar situation.