Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If S&P addition is inevitable, and that will force a ton of buying, I don't understand why anyone would be selling or shorting right now. Only things I can think of:
- S&P addition is not inevitable
- S&P pop is over hyped and will not materialize
- people don't know about S&P inclusion

It just doesn't make any sense to me. I must be missing something.

Shortzes have an 'investment' horizon shorter than you think.

Half are usually in and out by 10:30 a.m.

I found some pennies behind the sofa in my trading account (i.e. I sold some stuff with limited growth potential) and bought 8 more TSLA shares at $444. Now all I need to do is reconcile this buy with my conclusion back in January this year that the mid-$400s are a good price to take some profits...

Edit to add: I doubt I would have bought at the $2220 level, even coming down from $2500. This psychological effect is some powerful stuff!

upload_2020-9-2_16-27-48.png

If S&P addition is inevitable, and that will force a ton of buying, I don't understand why anyone would be selling or shorting right now. Only things I can think of:
- S&P addition is not inevitable
- S&P pop is over hyped and will not materialize
- people don't know about S&P inclusion

It just doesn't make any sense to me. I must be missing something.

Forces that are driving this stock are thinking in time spans of minutes, not days or even hours. This is how momo stocks go and right now TSLA is a momo stock extraordinaire.

This is also why traders want to play. The profits can be huge. But the losses can be devastating.

Trust me, an S and P announcement will shift the momentum to positive instantly. If not for the PR about the stock offering that may or may not happen which stopped the SP cold, this probably would have touched 600 today during the opening frenzy.

Ugh. Oh well, at least I reset my cost basis.

Trades do not settle until T+2, so when you have a buy and a sale on the same day like today - you can log in tomorrow and match the buy and sale off each other(By ID or whatever the respective term is) and let the original cost basis hold for your holdings.

This can be done online as well - Fidelity and ToS both have this, so am guessing other trading platforms also allow it.
upload_2020-9-2_9-36-4.png

Could you explain this bolded part in more detail? This is a very big assumption that I have not seen enough evidence for to call it more than a theory.

I don't claim to know how every single thing works behind the scenes at Wall Street, but I've done a fair amount of research, and @Boomer19 shared some very helpful insights with me in a PM. Although I think it is possible that the split forced some, a lot, or all of the naked shorts to cover, in my opinion it's currently just a theory backed up by some anecdotal evidence.

@Boomer19 , do you mind if I share the PM you sent me explaining in detail how FTDs are handled by the NSCC's CNS system?

Frank, I very clearly labeled the part you are asking about as a theory. So it looks like we are on the same page there.

Where we differ is that you fail to recognize your position is also just a theory (that naked shorting was not rampant and that the split did not force those shorts to be covered).

I don't need something to be proven beyond a reasonable doubt for it to influence my analysis. If I did, I wouldn't even be able to function adequately as an investor. Most of what I do based on educated guesses using fuzzy logic until the pieces fit as well as they are going to fit without more information. And @Boomer19's wonderful description of the handling of FTD's doesn't change my analysis one bit (for multiple reasons). It's not clear to me why you think it should. Being "forced to cover" does not imply an outside authority did the forcing - it could be self-imposed by those within the brokerage that manage trading risk. The point is, if you have a large uncovered position and the price goes on a tear, it could cause your company to become insolvent (regardless of whether someone else is forcing you to cover).

I could go on and on about this but it's clear to me your mind is already made up based on a more optimistic view of how things operate and that the industry does everything (mostly) by the book. Otherwise they would be busted by the SEC, right? :rolleyes: