Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have puts on F and money wise I would like that, but honestly speaking I doubt Elon's target is to intentionally bankrupt competitors.
If TSLA can scale up the battery production faster than the auto production, it makes perfect sense to help some other company to switch to EVs faster and retire more ICEs asap. Trucks are not yet part of TSLA's portfolio, so no harm done.
The next time the US Federal Government has to bail out US automakers, Tesla could be strong-armed into acquiring one of them. We don't really want these companies to go bankrupt.

• Love
Reactions: Intl Professor
I opened a spread several days ago, then bought it back the same day for a 35% profit. :) Basically got a free call out of it. So I'm in a position to open a spread again.

These are ITM calls. Well, used to be quite ITM... not so much any more :Þ (22 Feb $300s). So theta isn't the biggest concern, it's losing the intrinsic value.

If the stock had been like it was a few days ago, I'd have sold calls ($345-$360 range) and use that to fund a narrow ($5-10 wide) put spread (<=$300) But now the options look far less appealing.

My concerns are that there's supposed to be a commerce department report next week involving a recommendation as to whether to increase tariffs on cars from the EU. Trump would have 90 days to react to it. If he were to choose to do so, the EU already has retaliatory tariffs planned, which would surely bite Tesla hard. Fear of this should result in a significant stock hit.

On the other hand, if there's no recommendation, or a recommendation against tariffs, or a clear sign that a deal will be struck (the EU is offering up the complete elimination of its auto tariff), this would be a huge boost for Tesla. But it seems the less likely possibility.

If you hold shares, why not just sell OTM calls for a month-out, every month and collect premium?
IV is high enough to be money making.

Suddenly Tesla is up premarket? Ugh, I hate the premarket.... low volume always needlessly gets either your hopes up, fears up, or both.
Rumor starting on twitter that AP for model 3 is now certified in Europe. Only 1 tweet 10 minutes ago (timing seems to match) in my feed for now, let’s see if it takes off or gets confirmed

I opened a spread several days ago, then bought it back the same day for a 35% profit. :) Basically got a free call out of it. So I'm in a position to open a spread again.

These are ITM calls. Well, used to be quite ITM... not so much any more :Þ (22 Feb $300s). So theta isn't the biggest concern, it's losing the intrinsic value.

If the stock had been like it was a few days ago, I'd have sold calls ($345-$360 range) and use that to fund a narrow ($5-10 wide) put spread (<=$300) But now the options look far less appealing.

It isn't- until it is. Sadly we are less than 10$ from that point.
Good job on the spread play :) What is the free call that you ended up with?
I like to do call spreads at least 6 months further away. When the stock/IV drops significantly I buy back portions of the "tail". Eventually I end up with call bet for reduced price.

• Informative
Reactions: Fact Checking
The next time the US Federal Government has to bail out US automakers, Tesla could be strong-armed into acquiring one of them. We don't really want these companies to go bankrupt.

The reality is often different than what we want.

The current cash cow for the US automakers are trucks. Remove them from the equation and you get bankruptcy.
So if you are a F/GM executive and you look what TSLA does to BMW/Daimler market share (in particular), it becomes very clear that you are on borrowed time. Reaching to TSLA and hope some partnership can arise from that is probably the best bet for them.

Tesla might buy some plans here and there, but it makes almost no sense for them to acquire whole company (F/GM).

@shlokavica22 When I can deleverage enough to focus more on more distant expiries, I plan to do exactly that more often ;) I have some distant calls that I've done that with already, but for now I'm stuck on the shorter term (mainly 22 feb - 15 apr), just trying to keep up with good roll opportunities. While I've had interest in spreads for a long time, it wasn't practical before I enabled margin on my account, as IB wouldn't let you cover calls with other calls (aka, spreads) unless you have margin enabled.

BTW, just found this:

Subscribe to read | Financial Times

Key part:

The moment of truth may still be a way off. The commerce department report itself is likely to be inconclusive on remedies, laying out a menu of options for Mr Trump, instead of a single solution.

A blanket 25 per cent levy on cars and car parts entering the US would be the most aggressive step, but the US president could also choose to impose lower tariffs, or limit them to certain types of emerging automotive technology products — both of which would be more manageable outcomes.

And since Mr Trump likes to use the threat of tariffs for negotiating leverage, even more than a policy tool, he is likely to wait out the full three months available to him, to tighten the screws on the EU and force it into a deal.

So this report should be more of a "fear amplifier" than a "fear trigger". 3 months to strike a deal isn't actually that bad for Tesla, because - as mentioned previously - that's three months to flood Europe with cars as fast as they can, and 3 months to get their prices down.

• Informative
Reactions: shlokavica22
@shlokavica22 When I can deleverage enough to focus more on more distant expiries, I plan to do exactly that more often ;) I have some distant calls that I've done that with already, but for now I'm stuck on the shorter term (mainly 22 feb - 15 apr), just trying to keep up with good roll opportunities. While I've had interest in spreads for a long time, it wasn't practical before I enabled margin on my account, as IB wouldn't let you cover calls with other calls (aka, spreads) unless you have margin enabled.

BTW, just found this:

Subscribe to read | Financial Times

Key part:

So this report should be more of a "fear amplifier" than a "fear trigger". 3 months to strike a deal isn't actually that bad for Tesla, because - as mentioned previously - that's three months to flood Europe with cars as fast as they can, and 3 months to get their prices down.

Why don't you enable margin?

Why don't you enable margin?

I did. Which is why I can do spreads now :) I was explaining why I wasn't able to do them in the past.

I was hesitant for a while because I didn't want to get myself in trouble with it. But I realized that I was harming my investments by missing out on what margin enabled, so I just try to use it responsibly, keeping it paid down.

Reactions: Smokey4141
Macros are pretty ugly today: -0.9% NASDAQ futures, so far.

I believe China trade headlines is the main centerpiece that drives the market now. The trump administration and China needs another extension, perhaps an incremental raise from 10% to 15% after March 1st, giving both sides more time to iron things out. This may calm the markets a bit but at this point a deal isn’t going to happen in time. Tread lightly.

Reactions: Fact Checking
The reality is often different than what we want.

The current cash cow for the US automakers are trucks. Remove them from the equation and you get bankruptcy.
So if you are a F/GM executive and you look what TSLA does to BMW/Daimler market share (in particular), it becomes very clear that you are on borrowed time. Reaching to TSLA and hope some partnership can arise from that is probably the best bet for them.

Tesla might buy some plans here and there, but it makes almost no sense for them to acquire whole company (F/GM).

Look at 3+X3 sales numbers (etc) and you'll see that BMW's sales numbers are fine, it's just that sales have flipped from sedans to crossovers.

The concern for them is what happen if Tesla is able to survive and deliver the Model Y, which would directly attack the crossover market.

If the Trump administration decided to impose a punitive tariff on cars from the EU, and the EU responded in kind, that would really kill Tesla since it's depending in part on the European market for sales of the Model 3. I'd hope that the EU would exempt BEVs, just to spite the Trump administration, but given the potential of the Model 3 and Model Y in European markets, I'm sure that the EU would be happy to allow Tesla to be killed.

Related. I don't understand how Tesla can claim about the Model 3 "the car is now fully certified for sale in these markets" when an essential differentiating feature is not. Perhaps I should take extra English lessons to understand the different meanings of 'fully'.

The car is fully certified for sale.
They can sell as many as they wish.

Here's example of a car that's NOT FULLY certified for sale - it's LIMITED sales only:

Koenigsegg Agera RS1

25:17 direct link - the reason is "small volume exemption":

• Informative
Reactions: AZRI11 and humbaba
With that fuel use if we take 7 years of average ownership then that's about $29,400 of gasoline cost savings for the first owner.

If we take ~15 years of average life time of U.S. cars then it's about $63,000 of savings.

No wonder Tesla cars have top resale value.
The TCO models I built before I bought my Model S in 2013 included my comparative fuel costs over the 6 years of the loan duration. I was replacing a mid-size SUV that got 19MPG on average. I looked to save something like $32K in fuel costs based on my driving habits and $3/gal gasoline (it was over that at the time).

I also knew I'd likely keep the car longer than 6 years.

Last edited: