Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMO today's price action is pretty consistent with the "spike seller" scheme that short sellers have used for the past couple of months, backed by well timed "Tesla shares falling" FUD at Business Insider, and underlined by today's macro trends.

These efforts tend to happen around option expiry days as well.

But today is a dangerous day for them for such market manipulation: macro could turn on a dime on some good China news and then it's off to the races again, because NASDAQ really wants to rise.

Note that she didn't say full-size pickup.

In (in my opinion) decreasing order of likelihood:
  1. FCA (has in-house electrification... that mostly grabs things off the shelf, AFAIK)
  2. Ford (Maybe?)
  3. Toyota (Past partnership with Tesla, maybe they need a compliance Tundra/Tacoma for something)
  4. GM
  5. Mercedes-Benz (Still remnants of partnership with Tesla, although they're pushing their own EV tech now... but their truck is a rebadged Nissan Navara. IIRC with their own powertrains, though...)
  6. Nissan (they have enough in-house EV experience...)
  7. Mitsubishi (Triton isn't sold in compliance car markets, and they're allied with Nissan anyway)
  8. Volkswagen (the Amarok's not sold in compliance car markets, will be replaced by a rebadged Ranger, and VW will want to focus on their own EV tech)
  9. Mazda (the BT-50 isn't sold in compliance car markets, and Mazda really doesn't care for EVs)
  10. Honda (the Ridgeline isn't suited to a Tesla pack, and Honda's shown no interest in body-on-frame pickups)
I left off the Chinese, Russian, and Indian manufacturers.

I would say:

1. FCA. FCA is still largely in EV denial and way behind on tech, but I think FCA may be ready to call Tesla in desperation.
2. Daimler. Daimler and Tesla have a history, and appear to be in talks on a Van, I can see this being extended to a Pickup.
3. GM. GM appear to be more serious about building their own EV programs, but I doubt they are anywhere near the capability to build a high spec Pickup.
4. Ford. Look to be partnering with VW on EVs, but I doubt VW has the ability to help with a high spec Pickup.
5. Toyota. Toyota is also largely in EV denial and are lacking in expertise, but i think are less likely to come crawling back to Tesla.
6. BMW. I don't know that BMW has any interest in building a pickup, but could come to Tesla if they do.

Not unusual at all.

(Did Tesla seriously email you an update that a firm increased its holdings by 100k shares? Did they also email Ark dumping half their position?)

Tesla's IR site updated with the 13G filing, which generates email notifications if so configured by the user. Calm down.

I have had no issues with range reduction in some very cold weather.

Really? I definitely saw range reduction in very cold weather. I left it outside over night in Edmonton and it lost 30 kms. On the way from Edmonton to Calgary the range was reduced by about 40%. Granted it was really cold, windy, had the heat on, and I was driving 135 km/hr most of the way.

I also had an issue when I plugged my car into the supercharger after I left it outside over night. It took a good 10-15 mins to start charging. It also charged at a lower speed.

I still love my car but I thought the range reduction in the cold would be less than this and I didn't know about the slower supercharging speed when the battery is cold. Good thing I got the long range because I don't think the standard range would be adequate in the winter unless you just use it for city driving.

I'm still super bullish with TSLA because I think the pros of the Model 3 and other Tesla cars outweigh the cons.

A2222C4D-A74F-4CF0-ADD0-6950E0DB3E56.jpeg
Elon’s about to land.

I would say:

1. FCA. FCA is still largely in EV denial and way behind on tech, but I think FCA may be ready to call Tesla in desperation.
2. Daimler. Daimler and Tesla have a history, and appear to be in talks on a Van, I can see this being extended to a Pickup.
3. GM. GM appear to be more serious about building their own EV programs, but I doubt they are anywhere near the capability to build a high spec Pickup.
4. Ford. Look to be partnering with VW on EVs, but I doubt VW has the ability to help with a high spec Pickup.
5. Toyota. Toyota is also largely in EV denial and are lacking in expertise, but i think are less likely to come crawling back to Tesla.
6. BMW. I don't know that BMW has any interest in building a pickup, but could come to Tesla if they do.
I am putting my money on GM - I reckon Mary could be that person.

Okay Karen - you've had your fun - you can put us out of our misery now.

Reactions: ReflexFunds
Not unusual at all.

(Did Tesla seriously email you an update that a firm increased its holdings by 100k shares? Did they also email Ark dumping half their position?)

Tesla remains ARK Invest's top holding. Whenever a stock exceeds or nears 10% of one of their ETFs, they pare some of it. In September they were buying Tesla; later they had to sell some to maintain their desired portfolio balance.

ARK ETF holdings: ARK Innovation ETFs

Meanwhile, ARK does not own 5% of Tesla, and notifications to the SEC and Tesla shareholders are not required. However, ARK does email its position changes every market day. I am an ARK shareholder, but anyone can request being added to ARK's mailing list for their reports of daily trading activity.

ARK analyst discussing Tesla on CNBC - 8 days ago:

ARK CEO discussing Tesla on CNBC - 25 days ago:

Last edited:
next support 297
Really? I definitely saw range reduction in very cold weather. I left it outside over night in Edmonton and it lost 30 kms. On the way from Edmonton to Calgary the range was reduced by about 40%. Granted it was really cold, windy, had the heat on, and I was driving 135 km/hr most of the way.

I also had an issue when I plugged my car into the supercharger after I left it outside over night. It took a good 10-15 mins to start charging. It also charged at a lower speed.

I still love my car but I thought the range reduction in the cold would be less than this and I didn't know about the slower supercharging speed when the battery is cold. Good thing I got the long range because I don't think the standard range would be adequate in the winter unless you just use it for city driving.

I'm still super bullish with TSLA because I think the pros of the Model 3 and other Tesla cars outweigh the cons.
Yes, really. I have a dual-motor performance model, and I have not seen any material range reduction in the extreme cold that we recently had in the Northeast U.S. Our ICE vehicles did not handle the cold as well, having a myriad of different issues caused by the extreme cold.

Yes, really. I have a dual-motor performance model, and I have not seen any material range reduction in the extreme cold that we recently had in the Northeast U.S. Our ICE vehicles did not handle the cold as well, having a myriad of different issues caused by the extreme cold.

I have dual-motor performance as well. How come you don't get it and I do? Have you taken it on long road trip in the cold? The temperature I went to Edmonton in was about 4 F.

Other than the range reduction my Model 3 did do very well on slippery roads and the car heats up really fast.

Reactions: bdy0627