Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There's a distinct lack of exponentiality to supercharger deployment to match overall sales. Is this just cash crunch caution or have they been holding off for v3 for a very long time? What has been the bottleneck? However many superchargers they put in, it's hard to get ahead of themselves too much given growth rate.

supercharge.info

Just realized that I forgot to respond to this before. It's two factors.

1) By increasing the utilization of existing superchargers (aka only building more where there's overcrowding), Tesla increases Supercharger profitability dramatically. There are very high monthly fixed costs (demand charges), aka which don't vary with traffic - but income varies linearly with traffic. If I recall correctly, Tesla is targeting an average supercharger occupancy of 30%. IMHO, I'm not sure that's realistic, but it's way higher than all of those remote countryside Superchargers see.

2) Supercharger V3 is supposed to have both lower capital *and* operations costs, and be unveiled shortly (was previously targeted at the end of last year), as well as the better (faster) user experience. So it'd be illogical to build more than necessary at present, rather than spending the same amount of money after the V3 introduction.

@scaesare

Is that your loophole, that you didn't use the word "'must"?

1. I don't consider it a loophole, just an accurate statement of fact.

And for someone "not drawing conclusions", you seem to be drawing conclusions:

"...it seems to me..."

"... appears to have..."

2. Suggesting a postulate is not the same as drawing a firm conclusion, it is a harmless device employed in making one's argument.

(The follow on oblique insults add a nice touch)

3. I don't believe I insulted anyone despite lightly speculating about their true motives in the absence of any other explanation for their illogical position/contortions.

You'de be delighted to see the arguments for that stance? Read a good number of the replies to your posts in this thread.

4. You said there were *compelling* arguments to be made, not that they had already been made in this thread. In any case I have carefully perused all the replies to myself and none have made the argument you claim in a way that holds water. I would still be happy to see any that do.

I already mentioned (power)energy density earlier. From a volumetric standpoint, do you think Audi could be stuffing a 95kWh pack in something with that chassis size that takes up 2X the space of a Model S100 pack? Doesn't seem likely.

5. I don't know about twice the size but almost certainly the e-Tron pack volume is relatively large, given the probably low cell volumetric energy density [am guessing ~500Wh/l at best] and the bulky crash-resistant infrastructure. The designers probably did not have much choice if they were to hit more important target metrics [e.g. fire safety, fast charging] for the vehicle, so AFAICT they erred on the side of big and heavy, which I suppose both contribute to its reportedly poor fuel economy rating.

I presume she understands that a well, but also recognizes that there are a number of other factors, that she's discussed. The physical pack size, weight (excluding pack construction), energy capacity, etc... don't appear to be so significantly different that there's not a reasonable concern that they make be willing to toast the cells.

6. Having a concern, reasonable or otherwise, does not entitle one to elevate it to a pronouncement of definitive fact in the absence of actual evidence, then dogmatically insist [mainly by evasion and twisting of words] that it is the only possible truth. Further I don't believe it is a reasonable concern that any cells are being toasted as we don't yet know the e-Tron pack volume, heat removal efficiency or exact cell energy/power densities relative to Tesla's equivalents.

You might be right... although the vehicle feels niche to me. Perhaps Audi is simply willing to eat costs for the halo effect. (Also, your Model S point doesn't make sense... Total packs Tesla has to deal with is >100K/yr... it doesn't really matter if they are installed in to S or X if you had to replace them as a result of frying them)

7. Yes, fair enough, ~100,000 total S/X packs p.a. Still, Tesla never presumed they would be driven short mileage only and in fact built the SC network to encourage road-tripping. Audi is arguably following that lead by pitching in for the rapidly expanding Ionity infrastructure in Europe. EA network in US was of course somewhat less voluntary but anyhow has the same effect.

My point holds tho: if those things aren't equal, then we aren't comparing like-for-like.

8. ATM we do not know if they are equal but in general I agree.

Last edited:
image-20161005-15882-13x0gd1.jpg

Only ITMs left in Feb. Will likely start rolling them today. I'm going to let it level out and then decide.
BTW, one thing I've noticed is that usually IV tends to go down during the day. Not sure about ITM calls … (ofcourse if the SP keeps going up, IV won't go down). For eg. 2/15 expiry 300 strike is now at 0.50 (was around .48 earlier). Would be interesting to see where it is in the afternoon.

Reactions: Cherry Wine
To get back on topic, it's interesting to see various analysts interpreting the recent Model 3 price cuts not as a sign of lack of demand, but a demonstration of the margin actually allowing such cuts. It's also quite nice to finally read other people acknowledging that the "they are running out of cash" narrative is no longer a valid scenario to moan about.

@scaesare

Is that your loophole, that you didn't use the word "'must"?

1. I don't consider it a loophole, just an accurate statement of fact.

And for someone "not drawing conclusions", you seem to be drawing conclusions:

"...it seems to me..."

"... appears to have..."

2. Suggesting a postulate is not the same as drawing a firm conclusion, it is a harmless device employed in making one's argument.

(The follow on oblique insults add a nice touch)

3. I don't believe I insulted anyone despite lightly speculating about their true motives in the absence of any other explanation for their illogical position/contortions.

You'de be delighted to see the arguments for that stance? Read a good number of the replies to your posts in this thread.

4. You said there were *compelling* arguments to be made, not that they had already been made in this thread. In any case I have carefully perused all the replies to myself and none have made the argument you claim in a way that holds water. I would still be happy to see any that do.

I already mentioned (power)energy density earlier. From a volumetric standpoint, do you think Audi could be stuffing a 95kWh pack in something with that chassis size that takes up 2X the space of a Model S100 pack? Doesn't seem likely.

5. I don't know about twice the size but almost certainly the e-Tron pack volume is relatively large, given the probably low cell volumetric energy density [am guessing ~500Wh/l at best] and the bulky crash-resistant infrastructure. The designers probably did not have much choice if they were to hit more important target metrics [e.g. fire safety, fast charging] for the vehicle, so AFAICT they erred on the side of big and heavy, which I suppose both contribute to its reportedly poor fuel economy rating.

I presume she understands that a well, but also recognizes that there are a number of other factors, that she's discussed. The physical pack size, weight (excluding pack construction), energy capacity, etc... don't appear to be so significantly different that there's not a reasonable concern that they make be willing to toast the cells.

6. Having a concern, reasonable or otherwise, does not entitle one to elevate it to a pronouncement of definitive fact in the absence of actual evidence, then dogmatically insist [mainly by evasion and twisting of words] that it is the only possible truth.

You might be right... although the vehicle feels niche to me. Perhaps Audi is simply willing to eat costs for the halo effect. (Also, your Model S point doesn't make sense... Total packs Tesla has to deal with is >100K/yr... it doesn't really matter if they are installed in to S or X if you had to replace them as a result of frying them)

7. Yes, fair enough, ~100,000 total S/X packs p.a. Still, Tesla never presumed they would be driven short mileage only and in fact built the SC network to encourage road-tripping. Audi is arguably following that lead by pitching in for the rapidly expanding Ionity infrastructure in Europe. EA network in US was of course somewhat less voluntary but anyhow has the same effect.

My point holds tho: if those things aren't equal, then we aren't comparing like-for-like.

8. ATM we do not know if they are equal but in general I agree.

Can we please stop this endless back and forth about the E-Tron pack. Or if you want to continue, use PM. Thank you.