Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Translation of strategically undervalued:

The business case for sustainability is (shockingly) still either not recognised strategically (i.e. it is understood as an additive factor for operational efficiency or marketing/PR but not as a strategic value creation/destruction factor), or in many cases it is little understood at all.

It’s almost like some smart sounding dude in formal business suit can say any vague bs on TV and most of the viewers eat it up.

Yeah, intellectual capacity and long term vision were never strong traits of Bill Gates:

"I see little commercial potential for the internet for the next 10 years," Gates allegedly said at one Comdex trade event in 1994, as quoted in the 2005 book "Kommunikation erstatter transport."​

Being the son of an IBM insider at the right time when a lucrative long term software contract was awarded, and being a ruthless businessman not shy to sabotage competitors were his two main claims to (in)fame. The rest was the inertia of a monopoly supplier in the hyper-growth high-tech PC sector generating more wealth.

So I'm not sure why anyone would want to listen to Bill Gates's opinion about EVs, other than to reinforce the above impression.

vehicle_disruption.jpg

Again agree to disagree. I don't really think it's worth looking up, but, my recollection, with a fairly high level of confidence, is that Elon said a couple of earnings calls back that Tesla's preference was to pay back half in cash and half in shares. There is, of course, always a tradeoff between increasing share count and raising cash, but, Elon's statement makes it apparent that Tesla would have liked to have gone for that tradeoff for half of the debt if the share price was high enough (and, again, money had already been spent that would have made this option more and more attractive as the price got further and further above $360, up to $500+).

That was a late November decision, when Q4 results were still an open question.

After the Q4 results, which generated record amounts of free cash flow, Tesla (Elon) issued a voluntary profit warning that dropped the share price well below conversion price.

They could have waited for Q1 to be over and could have posted "tiny" profits - it's entirely voluntary whether a profit warning is issued. They could have waited until March 2.

My interpretation: after Q4 they preferred to pay the convertibles in cash, for the reasons I outlined, and thus they decided to disclose all the "possibly" bad news before March 1.

Yes, when they exit slowly over the course of 8 months, there is no squeeze. For a squeeze to occur there would need to be a sudden, substantial and sustained jump.
You're missing the significance of naked short selling by market makers. If they can create an arbitrary number of shares on demand, there can be no squeeze since the normal laws of supply and demand do not apply to the SP.

I think everyone who thought FSD winter driving will be not possible, think again.

About a week ago, after dark, I was driving in a blinding blowing horizontal snow on a deserted road. Roads were not snow covered yet but the wind and heavy snowing was making visibility difficult. Up came the autopilot symbol and I cautiously tried it. Worked fine. The vision field must have been loaded with visual noise but it seemed to be just fine. I think it must have been able to find the line patterns in the visual noise. If the road was completely covered with fresh snow and there were few lane tracks then I think the symbol would not appear. I was impressed. Next I have to see how it reacts to a deer stepping onto the road at night.

Last edited:
Again, from a pure shareholder long term value point of view I strongly disagree: for the reasons I outlined I believe Tesla shareholders are better served by Tesla not selling new stock for cash, which a conversion event would have been.

You might be right but I think there's a risk of lost opportunity. Other's are investing heavily in the EV space, and the decision to raise capital or not could be the difference between dominating the electric pickup and semi markets or not. To me, raising capital is something you do when you have great ideas but not enough money to take them to market (Where as buying back stock is something you do when you are all out of ideas... but I digress).

So to restate the question, do you think Tesla will be worth more as a company if they could launch Y, Roadster, Semi and Pickup truck all in the next 2 years with production meeting demand or if they only have enough capital to launch Y?

As a stock holder I'd rather have my shares diluted slightly (say 5%) to allow Tesla to increase their cash on hand by 2.5B so they can do more, faster. Not to mention it would take away yet another short thesis. This would have been more timely when the stock was at 360 a share recently, but even now a 5% move is nothing in my mind compared to the value of allowing Tesla to operate with less cash constraints.

About a week ago, after dark, I was driving in a blinding blowing horizontal snow on a deserted road. Roads were not snow covered yet but the wind and heavy snowing was making visibility difficult. Up came the autopilot symbol and I cautiously tried it. Worked fine. The vision field must have been loaded with visual noise but it seemed to be just fine. I think it must have been able to find the line patterns in the visual noise. If the road was completely covered with fresh snow and there were few lane tracks then I think the symbol would not appear. I was impressed. Next I have to see how it reacts to a deer stepping onto the road at night.

I haven't experienced this in snow, but we get heavy rain now and then around where I live. I've been in rain, especially on the freeway with other cars throwing water up from the road, so heavy that even with the wipers on high, the lanes were hard to make out. I've found in those situations that the lane keeping has a better handle on where the lane is and keeps my car in the lane better than I do.

Me likey.

I dunno why everyone scoff at Bill Gates' statements about EVs. Yes, there will be many various great electric cars to choose. Other manufactures will come (mainly from China, completely new startups and survivors of ICE purges).

If you think Tesla will have world-wide monopoly on electric cars, you are delusional.
Gates statement can be true or delusional depending on the time horizon. In 10 years, I'm sure there will be other great EVs. In 2 year ?

You might be right but I think there's a risk of lost opportunity.

So if a shareholder thinks that TSLA fair value is $1,000 right now, then the dilutive cost of conversion to 2.5 million shares at $390 is about 3 billion dollars. Quite steep price.

Tesla should instead use non-equity loans - like they are doing for the Shanghai Gigafactory.

You're missing the significance of naked short selling by market makers. If they can create an arbitrary number of shares on demand, there can be no squeeze since the normal laws of supply and demand do not apply to the SP.
I feel your frustration. Very few understand the whole concept of FTDs, created by NSS, and their effect on the market. Most assume the market is a zero-sum game. That concept is so last-century. Outrageous.

• Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger
Tesla should instead use non-equity loans - like they are doing for the Shanghai Gigafactory.
Yep. This is why being FCF positive and having a decent rating from Moody's is important.

I still think the best way to get loans is to tap state/country governments. They are desperate for new manufacturing industries in their states/countries.

Vincent (@vincent13031925) | Twitter
Yeah, you do not recall correctly. That was a BS story cooked up by Dana Hull on Bloomberg. Elon said no such thing.

Tesla Is Said to Plan Using Stock-Cash Mix to Pay March Debt - Bloomberg

Really bizarre to me that she could literally just make something up and publish it with no recourse. We all though maybe Elon had changed him mind from the quarter before when he said it would be paid in cash but then on the latest earnings, he reiterated that they're planning to pay it with cash. So in between quarters, Dana created a fictional story because she knew Elon wouldn't comment on it until the Q4 earning call

Vincent (@vincent13031925) | Twitter

Really bizarre to me that she could literally just make something up and publish it with no recourse. We all though maybe Elon had changed him mind from the quarter before when he said it would be paid in cash but then on the latest earnings, he reiterated that they're planning to pay it with cash. So in between quarters, Dana created a fictional story because she knew Elon wouldn't comment on it until the Q4 earning call
This is not made up at all. They would still cover conversions this way but no one will convert if the stock price is under $360.

• Funny
Reactions: Artful Dodger
This is exactly correct. Tesla current (and projected future) growth rate is NOT constrained by capital. Telsa has learned how to be capital efficient in the process of winding up Model 3 production at Fremont.

They are a well-balanced corporation now, having a carefully balance of R&D, production, facilities expansion, revenues and new product plans.

This is what Elon said in response to this issue during the 2018 Q3 CC in Oct 2018:

Maynard Um (Macquarie Analyst):

"Hi, thank you. Congratulations on a great turning point for Tesla. As you continue to scale the business, can you talk about how we should think about how you balance profits versus reinvestment, you're targeting sustainable GAAP profitability and cash flow but I'm curious if there's a level of GAAP profitability or GAAP operating margin or cash flow you want to hold and then take the excess to fund new growth or accelerate opportunities?"

Elon R. Musk - Co-Founder, Chairman, Chief Executive Officer & Product Architect

"Sure, I mean, maybe to, if I characterize that question it would be like, are we starving new vehicle development in order to achieve GAAP profitability and cash flow positive? Would that be inaccurate? Is that essentially...?

"The answer is no. So we've made significant progress on the Model Y. So in fact I approved the prototype to go into production recently, so it will be 2020 before that's in volume production. We made great progress there.

"Also we continue to make progress on the Semi and the new Tesla Roadster. And then actually product them. Personally most excited about is the Tesla pickup truck. I think that's going to be some next level stuff there."

Cheers!

Last edited: