Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Exactly. I think all the people shooting for Apple to buy Tesla just want oligarchs to ruin the world and make life miserable here. I can't conceive of why they want that. "Apple Fanboys" doesn't seem to extend to that dystopia.

I actually think Tim is on a bit of a hot seat over at Apple and is getting pressure from multiple sides that he needs to do something to get Apple innovating again. The past 5 years have shown that Cook can't do that organically. Apple has been unable to get into markets beyond the phone, tablet, and laptop. I think Apple is actively looking into companies to buy or partner with in order to get into new markets.

TIL that there's a baby elephant named Elon Tusk:

Big, Beautiful, And Rare: Twin Elephants In Tanzania

Today, the twins—brother, “Elon Tusk,” and sister, “Emma” (after the actress Emma Watson)—are 8 months old, playful, robust, and starting, in the words of Foley, “to pad out nicely.”

Eloise-with-Twins-WCS-Tanzania-Program.jpg

Who's going to be Elon's female twin? GM's CEO Mary T. Barta?

:D

On TeslaFi I saw the following go by on two Model S 100D firmware update records:
terminal/HW3-mileage
This was instead of the usual version number; it probably means that the version number format is different in a way that their script got confused. I think this is possibly an indication that we're seeing a new firmware release being tested that supports the new AP hardware. I'm not a member so I can't go searching around. Possibly such things have been showing up there all along and I've just never seen them.

But this, coupled with the firmware updates having been pretty much stopped over the past two days, makes me think that whatever we hear from Elon tomorrow will involve some new firmware going out. And it will likely enough be related to HW3.

Besides, I can't think of anything that would make Elon smile so much as getting to share a bunch of cool stuff that the updated AP will do on the new hardware. I'm prepared to be excited. And if it's sufficiently cool, we'll probably see a TSLA bump as well.

TIL that there's a baby elephant named Elon Tusk:

Big, Beautiful, And Rare: Twin Elephants In Tanzania

Today, the twins—brother, “Elon Tusk,” and sister, “Emma” (after the actress Emma Watson)—are 8 months old, playful, robust, and starting, in the words of Foley, “to pad out nicely.”​

Who's going to be Elon's female twin? GM's CEO Mary T. Barta?

:D
One could propose that a very heavy pachyderm is a baryderm....but somehow, I fear that term has no legs. So to speak.

Elon teased some news in June 2017:

C6CF36B8-A283-4358-BD18-95CF97BB77A0.jpeg

It turned out to be:

42EAFA24-285F-4DDC-8E6B-059C26EA41C4.jpeg

My guess for tomorrow is the Model 3 SR production and order commencement dates announcement. Orders will probably open only for the North American reservation holders. Probably some handover party to go with it.

They might make a combo of EAP + PuP for a much sweeter deal.

Attachments

• CC0AD7B9-A1B9-49F8-BF71-F4D596761175.jpeg
    CC0AD7B9-A1B9-49F8-BF71-F4D596761175.jpeg
    117.1 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Elon teased some news in June 2017:

View attachment 381281

It turned out to be:

View attachment 381284

My guess for tomorrow is the Model 3 SR production and order commencement dates announcement. Orders will probably open only for the North American reservation holders. Probably some handover party to go with it.

They might make a combo of EAP + PuP for a much sweeter deal.
This is my guess too

Reactions: dddaaa0
For China factory, where will Tesla get the money? How will it be funded? Where will they get the money? Blah blah blah

All the bears were screaming non stop and Dana Hull made a sarcastic comment even today on Twitter.

All the while bulls knew it and it was already laid out by Elon in Q4 earnings - low interest loans from China banks.

Tesla is lining up about $2 billion in loans for Shanghai Gigafactory: analyst report

I actually think Tim is on a bit of a hot seat over at Apple and is getting pressure from multiple sides that he needs to do something to get Apple innovating again. The past 5 years have shown that Cook can't do that organically. Apple has been unable to get into markets beyond the phone, tablet, and laptop. I think Apple is actively looking into companies to buy or partner with in order to get into new markets.

Apple Watch (health, medical EEG), Airpods, Services... they haven't been standing still and they make more $ from just these product than most S&P 500 companies.

Right moment to punce hah? Which growth mode or tech company he pounced? You mean IBM, or Apple? Or uber?

Gee, even the recent comments from them regarding Elon won't kill the dream about this I guess.

Keep dreaming

Not dreaming or even saying it will happen. Pure conjecture based on EM tweets about Tusk/elephants and Buffett's statements about using an elephant gun.

Probability low, but possible.

What is your thought on the news coming out Thursday evening? Big, small, nothing burger?

Apple Watch (health, medical EEG), Airpods, Services... they haven't been standing still and they make more $ from just these product than most S&P 500 companies.

Yeah.....I think you're post reaffirms my point. Doesn't matter if those services generate more revenue than most S&P companies(which is a bogus claim.....those companies don't have a market cap of 825 billion). Apple failed, spectacularly, at Apple TV and it's becoming more and more apparent they've failed at an Autonomous vehicles. When your new endeavors into new markets generate a very, very small fraction of your total revenue, it's considered a failure.

Exactly. I think all the people shooting for Apple to buy Tesla just want oligarchs to ruin the world and make life miserable here. I can't conceive of why they want that. "Apple Fanboys" doesn't seem to extend to that dystopia.
Listen I don’t want Apple to buy Tesla... I just want them to make an offer, have it taken all the way to board approval, before Elon reneges... BUT NOT before shorts get crushed.

Could it be that most peoples here own $TSLA?? Imagine what will happen to SP if that turn out to be true. I think most if not almost everyone here are very bullish about $TSLA.

Not dreaming or even saying it will happen. Pure conjecture based on EM tweets about Tusk/elephants and Buffett's statements about using an elephant gun.

Probability low, but possible.

What is your thought on the news coming out Thursday evening? Big, small, nothing burger?

Probably nothing burger. From past Elon taunts like these. It's usually about the unvriling of a product. The impact of an unveiling with the current tsla is pretty minimal.

Though the coincidence with BRK's recent statements cannot be ignored. Of I have the cash hoard of brk, buying tsla is trivial. But same can be said about aapl. And both ceo of both company has the wrong mindset fit with tsla, except buffett tends to let the ceos of the original company run it the way they want.

Reactions: neroden and AlMc
SpaceCash is a pretty good catalyst to the stock imo. We peaked at $377 when he was around. TT007 is the ultimate sell signal (sorry but really). When I’m emotional and hate Elon, that’s a good buy signal

Honestly, with this stock, those indicators are more accurate than technical analysis!;)

Gut instincts vary widely, and are vulnerable to emotional trading (euphoria vs. dispair). IMHO, Technical Analysis (T/A) can be a useful tool of moderation, when used as a contributing factor among many others that inform your investment and trading strategy.

I posted this comment regarding T/A after the Market closed on Dec 12, 2018 (yes, 2 days before the start of the recent selloff in TSLA):

IMHO, your current play isn't really swing trading; its day trading. If you really want to capture the next (technical) swing, you need to wait until the SP tickles the recent high which was $379.49 the morning of Dec 7, 2018

<snip>...This signal is fairly screaming SELL to technical traders.

So here's what happened the following day, Dec 13, 2018:
  • the intraday high was reached near the close at $377.44
  • that was just $2.05 below the Dec 7 intraday high
  • that's also $20 above the Dec 7 Low/Closing SP at $357.88
  • this is screaming SELL SOME, PAPA! with SP above the Upper-BB
  • alas, I dinna listen to the screams (more on that below)
  • similar to the mini-squeeze on Dec 7 (just fewer Mitsubishi Zeros) ;)
sc.TSLA.1-MthChart.2018-12-13.16-00.png

Inevitably, here's what TSLA did over the 2 weeks following its Dec 13 peak: (an $80 haircut) :mad:

TSLA.6-mth.2019-02-27.png

Yep, saw that coming.:( So I'd say T/A 'worked' (not that I liked the action), meaning T/A "predicted in advance", not "saw in hindsight" SP.

It's mostly about the Bollinger Bands. When TSLA failed to break through the Upper-BB due to selling following the Dec 13 runup, instead the SP doggedly marched its way down the Bollinger band range to test support at the lower-BB. <expletive> Volatility. :rolleyes:

For more color, here's the Dec 19 chart: (note how the BBs themselves moved down over the past 4 sessions).

sc.TSLA.1-MthChart.2018-12-19.16-00.png

IMHO, the issue is not whether T/A works, it's about having the confidence (and the capital) to trade based on it. Here my closing comment from Dec 12, 2018: o_O

Please note: this is NOT ADVISE. I am NOT DOING THIS. Even though I'm aware of these technical factors, I am not trading on them... (I'm HODLing dammit!)

April is my 1st anniversary in this journey we call TSLA. I've held all my shares through all the swings since the July 2018 Q2 production announcement / selloff. Now I'm considering adding capital to my investment account. My goal is to have capital available quickly to take advantage of these dubious swings (GS, NYT, Joe Rogan, SEC, Bloomberg) to increase my core holdings.

I'm well-positioned for the eventual TSLA breakout, but none of us knows when that will come. Meanwhile, I'd like to take some gains as an Investor, not just watch as whipsaw profits go to the market-makers. I'll use T/A to inform my cash vs. shares holdings, and I'll also jump on FUD-inspired dips but use the profits to increase in my core holdings while preserving my cash balance. Yeah. That'll work for the next year.

And to summarize my past year in song, "regrets I have a few, but then again, too few to mention..." :cool:

Cheers, and GLTA!

P.S. today's T/A values for TSLA: (remember these do move over time, but slowly)
  • MA(200) 316.27
  • Lower-BB: 292.45
  • Middle-BB:307.14
  • Upper-BB: 321.83
  • MA(50) 316.78

Attachments

• TSLA.chart.2018-12-13.png
    TSLA.chart.2018-12-13.png
    8.6 KB · Views: 44
  • sc.TSLA.1-MthChart.2018-12-13.16-00.png
    15.7 KB · Views: 31