Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But at least some bold investors have stepped up their interest in the company amid the stock's decline. Users of the free trading app Robinhood, which is popular among younger traders, increased their holdings of Tesla by nearly 20% over the past week.

Either younger people "get it" and shrug off the concerns about closing stores, or they don't know what they are doing. I'm leaning towards the former. When I first bought into tesla back in 2014 I read that the #1 stock for Greatest Generation investors was GE, Boomers bought Apple, and Millennials had Tesla as our #1 stock. I like that pattern.

Millennials are piling into Tesla following the announcement of its $35,000 Model 3 (TSLA) | Markets Insider

Not a fan of traditional dealerships nor car salesman, there is a reason they get a bad reputation in my opinion. Not sure anyone out there actually enjoys buying a new car and dealing with the haggle knowing the whole time the dealership is just trying any way to screw you ... undercoating, transport fees, financing fees, no-financing fees ... you name it. So I'm more than pleased that Tesla has decided to move the process to online only BUT I also feel the test drive is the best way to get someone who is on the fence to buy and frankly there is no better driving experience on earth than the Tesla!

I'm not sure if the test drives are still being offered but I would hope they would continue the practice at whichever locations they decide to keep open .... it's worth having some inventory on hand and a few people to interface with the public to do those drives.

I did one and went directly home and made a purchase ... a rather large one of TSLA !!!!!!!!

Cheers to the longs .... wall street is full of people who are stuck in their ways and don't see disruption until it's already happened and the carnage is right in front of them .... it will happen and they will wake up soon enough and till then I'll keep buying more TSLA. Eventually I'll be getting a Tesla Model Y as well.

But at least some bold investors have stepped up their interest in the company amid the stock's decline. Users of the free trading app Robinhood, which is popular among younger traders, increased their holdings of Tesla by nearly 20% over the past week.

Either younger people "get it" and shrug off the concerns about closing stores, or they don't know what they are doing. I'm leaning towards the former. When I first bought into tesla back in 2014 I read that the #1 stock for Greatest Generation investors was GE, Boomers bought Apple, and Millennials had Tesla as our #1 stock. I like that pattern.

Millennials are piling into Tesla following the announcement of its $35,000 Model 3 (TSLA) | Markets Insider
Oh they get it alright. Check out robintrack. Robinhood users load the boat during weakness and sell into strength in TSLA. Mostly swing traders

Reactions: Nocturnal
Don't we want this case as soon as possible. Only the dealers benefit by the uncertainty of the court decision vs the commerce clause.

Absolutely - so I think Tesla is going to do the following (obvious) moves:
  • They'll prepare by 100% isolating any 'sales' activities from service centers
  • Then they'll just move ahead and force the issue:
    • In 'no service centers allowed' states they would attempt to open a service center, and if that's rejected one some state law grounds, they'd sue based on constitutional grounds.
    • In 'no sales activities allowed within state boundaries' (Texas?) they'd simply apply their regular procedure and wait for state authorities to interfere - at which point Tesla would sue, again on constitutional grounds.
But I haven't really studied the constraints and state regulations, but I'd expect Tesla to move aggressively but strategically here and bring the fight to 'free up' as many states as possible from dealership laws, to the extent they are interfering with Tesla's business.

But the first step has to be to fully implement the 100% separation of service from online sales, i.e. to make sure there's no in-state physical contact between a new customer and Tesla before the online sale is sealed. This means that probably not even test drives can be offered: Tesla isn't trying to circumvent anything, they are doing an entirely out of state business transaction, which clearly falls under the Commerce Clause. But after that transaction is done Tesla cannot be barred from fulfilling contractual obligations and serve customers.

Not a lawyer, could be totally misreading this, etc.

I think it's safe to assume that Nasdaq.com quotes are not accurate...

tsla-at-136pmET.png

OT:
Exerted from transcript of NIO earnings call:
(on Tesla Model 3 vs. NIO ES6) So ours(price) is 358(k RMB) theirs is about 410 the cheapest version. But the Model 3 is the small car it's not even the same class, it's a smaller sedan. It's like comparing 318i BMW, ours is more like an X5 the ES6. Our range is 510. Their range is about 300 kilometers. Our acceleration is a second faster than theirs, got to 60 in 4.7, theirs like 5.7 or 5.8. Theirs have a single motor, ours is dual motor. So it's not comparable.
They are just in denial about Tesla cars now, to me these remarks are straight out lying.

Cheapest M3 in China now is LR single motor @407krmb with 600+km range. LR DM is @455k
NIO ES6 base @358krmb only have 410km range, 510km version is at @448krmb.

It might make sense to talk like this to uninformed customers, but in a ER with investors? What?

Also this is after Elon said M Y will only be 10% more expensive, and their ES6 availability is not much earlier than MY.

This means M Y will be at about the same price as the most promising local competition in China, it’s going to be huge.

Btw, I sold big chunk of my NIO holding before ER, and sold almost all after I saw this paragraph.

Last edited:
Not a fan of traditional dealerships nor car salesman, there is a reason they get a bad reputation in my opinion. Not sure anyone out there actually enjoys buying a new car and dealing with the haggle knowing the whole time the dealership is just trying any way to screw you ... undercoating, transport fees, financing fees, no-financing fees ... you name it.

Actually, rather amazingly this has been surveyed, and the results are shocking:

People despise U.S. dealerships for very good reasons:

Code:
percentage  | demographics             | car dealership experience
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
87%         | of all age groups        | dislike “something” about the process of shopping at auto dealerships
61%         | of all age groups        | hate the auto shopping experience
52%         | of all age groups        | feel anxious or uncomfortable at auto dealerships
50%         | of men                   | felt pressured by a dealership salesperson
62%         | of Millennial women      | felt pressured by a dealership salesperson
33%         | of women                 | report being spoken to disrespectfully at dealerships
37%         | of Millennial women      | report being spoken to disrespectfully at dealerships
56%         | of all age groups        | would rather clean their homes than negotiate with a car dealership salesperson
34%         | of 18-to-24-year-olds    | would rather wait in line at the DMV than negotiate with a car dealership salesperson
24%         | of the 35–44 demographic | would prefer to get a root canal than negotiate with a car dealership salesperson

What do car buyers want instead?  

percentage  |  demographics            | new car purchase wish-list
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
54%         | of all age groups        | would love to buy or sell a car without leaving home
42%         | of all age groups        | would feel comfortable buying a car online without a test drive if incentives were included

Source: Reddit.

That would only be of concern to SpaceX, not Tesla. In any event, marijuana use is legal in California where the podcast took place, so there was no illegal drug use to disclose.
doesnt matter where he did it. people with clearance are not allowed to use drugs - end of story. good thing they finally look into it

That would only be of concern to SpaceX, not Tesla. In any event, marijuana is not illegal in California, so their was no illegal drug use to disclose.

Musk has been getting in the way of Boeing, Northrop-Grumman, and Lockheed-Martin's rent-seeking schemes. SpaceX is just making them look bad.

SpaceX just beat Boeing to the ISS for less money, even among rumors of officials slow-walking Dragon 2 to allow Boeing to catch up.

doesnt matter where he did it. people with clearance are not allowed to use drugs - end of story. good thing they finally look into it

Bloomberg: "The form requires federal employee or contractors seeking clearance to acknowledge any illegal drug use over the previous seven years."

Aspirin is a drug. I've used it. It is not illegal, as is the case with with many other drugs.

More to the point, this a SpaceX concern, not Tesla.