Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2023 Levelized Energy Costs. Solar + battery is better than many but there are still some cheaper options.

Battery costs for purchasers will have to come down signficantly (meaning lower ASPs) for the levelized costs to start making more financial sense for solar + battery systems.

Screenshot 2024-04-28 at 8.23.35 AM.png

Tesla will spend around $10B this year in combined training and inference AI, the latter being primarily in car.

Any company not spending at this level, and doing so efficiently, cannot compete. -Elon Musk

I never really thought about the spending on inference ai. There's a lot of talk regarding the H100s, but I wonder how much is spent on the in car hardware/software.

Along those lines Elon has mentioned the in-car capabilities and hinted at utilizing the compute to run ai models one day. Would be nice to see them offer that as a potential revenue stream for Tesla owners and it could run similar to teslas energy/autobidder software. This would help smooth out demand troughs when robotaxi is enabled. Between robotaxi trips maybe a throttled version of compute use could generate some revenue and if ridership demand dips the car could transition to full ai compute use until robotaxi demand picks back up.

Everybody's a genius in hindsight.
Lots of history to be read about companies indulging in hubris and overinvesting in growth that anything from black swan events to changes in consumers tastes results in torpedoing said company. Building cash reserves while expeditiously growing the company is certainly a wiser path.
I certainly accept that hindsight is an unfair judge. Lots of people were asking the question...where are the batteries coming from though. It was not as if anyone that seriously looked at the business didn't see critical gaps, gaps that had to be addressed. So instead of addressing the gaps they waited til it was critical and then had battery day and got a pass from hard questions because they assured us that they had the capacity, heck Kato was going to produce just Gigs and gigs of capacity. In fact it was just a test lab. It's never produced squat relative to the hype of battery day. Neither has Austin.

Now someone could say it was just too complex and didn't work out but ...but...it turns out Tesla never staffed the battery effort. Skeleton staffing. It was impossible to think that Tesla was going to do with 100 people what it took Pano or CATL 1000 to do.

With hindsight it is very clear that battery day was just an effort to do the minimal needed attention to a critical gap, that why it was not staffed. The real effort had shifted to bright and shiny- FSD, ai, robots. Nothing to do with sustainability. Teslas own 4680 engineering efforts have produced no promised improvement. CATL meanwhile is sampling and maybe now producing 4680 form class battery cells that they claim do in fact have higher yield. Prismatic 4680 form. Huh..innovation, they put several thousand engineers to work on this.

Sharing for the info (WS expectations)

View attachment 1042438
Gary's fund is call the "Future Fund". He does analytics like a value investor and does not seem to understand the "Future" could be wildly different depending on success and execution of Tesla on several fronts. (FSD, Robotaxi, Optimus, Energy etc.) Like many here have stated TSLA is an option on future growth in these areas. You can try to put some numbers around these but looking at PE's ratios with decimal points is not looking to the future and is just getting lost in the short term details. Cash flow and short term earnings likely will take even more of a hit with all the investments in AI so expect many WS analysts to be pointing out TSLA's sky high valuation.

Google has its own AI chip designed and is on generation 4 of 5 or so. For internal use and available via the cloud.
Microsoft is designing its own chip, maybe already finished, I don’t know. For use on Azure. And thus automatically for OpenAI.
Apple has its own AI neural engine, and is increasing its capabilities in the M4 generation. Apple seems to focus on LLM inference on local devices instead of in the cloud (very visible in their MLX effort).
AMD has its own chip competitive with H100.
Tenstorrent (Jim Keller) is on its second generation now.
Intel is adding AI capabilities.
And everybody in the industry seems to hate CUDA.
And there are god knows how many startups and established SOC designers building their own AI silicon.

The competition is coming.
The difference with the car industry is that all of these competitors are adding capabilities in an area where they’re already very capable. And they all rely on the same underlying technology from TSMC (except Intel).
Indeed lots of people chasing the Nividia crown and also customers could not buy capacity. Literally..Nividia is sold out. That's when something being sold out is sold out. For now though it is Nividas time to shine. How they respond will be telling and an interesting business case.

Reactions: NicoV
Gary's fund is call the "Future Fund". He does analytics like a value investor and does not seem to understand the "Future" could be wildly different depending on success and execution of Tesla on several fronts. (FSD, Robotaxi, Optimus, Energy etc.) Like many here have stated TSLA is an option on future growth in these areas. You can try to put some numbers around these but looking at PE's ratios with decimal points is not looking to the future and is just getting lost in the short term details. Cash flow and short term earnings likely will take even more of a hit with all the investments in AI so expect many WS analysts to be pointing out TSLA's sky high valuation.
I don't know what people mean by that "option on future growth". IMO that's long been priced into things. It's why GM and Ford have outperformed Tesla over 3 years. Tesla is priced as a growth company but is not growing. It is a very very dangerous place for a stockholder and all hype around 8/8 aside it has to grow. It's not a startup with no track record.

Not being able to meet basic customer demand for a product you are just assembling is not a sign of robust demand..it is a sign of poor execution by management.

Tesla will spend around $10B this year in combined training and inference AI, the latter being primarily in car.

Any company not spending at this level, and doing so efficiently, cannot compete. -Elon Musk

I never really thought about the spending on inference ai. There's a lot of talk regarding the H100s, but I wonder how much is spent on the in car hardware/software.

Along those lines Elon has mentioned the in-car capabilities and hinted at utilizing the compute to run ai models one day. Would be nice to see them offer that as a potential revenue stream for Tesla owners and it could run similar to teslas energy/autobidder software. This would help smooth out demand troughs when robotaxi is enabled. Between robotaxi trips maybe a throttled version of compute use could generate some revenue and if ridership demand dips the car could transition to full ai compute use until robotaxi demand picks back up.

Knowing the spreadsheet "geniuses" on Wall Street, they'll probably flag this as a huge negative since it will "deplete" Tesla's cash balance with no future value vs. cheering a cash dividend. :rolleyes:

It is unfortunate how little we are informed about how often Mary, Jim, and other auto CEOs meet with high ranking officials of nations around the world.

Surely, they too are meeting with and making plans for their company's growth with people like that on as regular a basis as Elon has done.

This cover-up is probably just some sort of conspiracy designed to paint Tesla and Elon in a more favorable light. Right?

/S

2023 Levelized Energy Costs. Solar + battery is better than many but there are still some cheaper options.

Battery costs for purchasers will have to come down signficantly (meaning lower ASPs) for the levelized costs to start making more financial sense for solar + battery systems.

View attachment 1042530
yes but the costs for solar+storage show a falling trend line so I think that's quite positive as a source of robust demand because storage ASP is declining and will soon plummet (I think). Currently the people wanting storage on the utility side are looking at needs other than simple LCOE, its the much more lucrative grid stabilization markets plus time shifting spot prices.

Just an aside we have startups in the USA that have hundreds of millions in VC investment that are focused on the grid management ecosystem, a plethora of firms actually. I thought Tesla could have grabbed that market, the energy bidder software showed the path but they failed to invest.

Reactions: petit_bateau

Once it was made clear that Steven Mark Ryan has accrued ten times the investment in the future with TSLA shares than has Gary Black's "Future Fund" (who likely gets more face time in the mainstream media than SMR does), any reference to him and his Future Fund gets an :rolleyes: from me.

I suppose Gary still serves a purpose as a slightly miscalibrated barometer for Wall Street sentiment, for whatever that is worth in evaluating TSLA.

Last edited:
The article or the X poster don’t address whether the data can be processed outside of China, which seems to be the purpose of Elon’s visit (as per “Reuters” at least).

Problem is Tesla can’t take FSD training data out of China nor can it import H100s (US restrictions) into China to setup a data centre there.
I haven't seen anyone mention Tesla doesn't have enough compute in the US for US AI, hence they are spending billions to build it out. How in the heck are they going to be able to process the exported data out of China even if it was allowed? Tesla is going to have to build a supercomputer for China anyway (or China can build one and rent out) to process that data since they will be as large of a market if not larger than the US. H100s are not the only game in town. Tesla has proven (as with the car chip shortage) chip shortages don't slow them down. They just write the software for different chips. There are Chinese GPUs but they are on a US blacklist so we never hear about them. I don't know if that means an American company like Tesla can't use them in China or those chips simply can't be imported, I believe it's the later.

With hindsight it is very clear that battery day was just an effort to do the minimal needed attention to a critical gap, that why it was not staffed. The real effort had shifted to bright and shiny- FSD, ai, robots. Nothing to do with sustainability. Teslas own 4680 engineering efforts have produced no promised improvement. CATL meanwhile is sampling and maybe now producing 4680 form class battery cells that they claim do in fact have higher yield. Prismatic 4680 form. Huh..innovation, they put several thousand engineers to work on this.
Actually as an investor I am happy this is where it's at. By the end of next year there is a rumored huge oversupply of cells and Tesla can scoop them all up and not waste resources on developing cells except at a much lower capacity for research. It's also not a huge loss because the cell manufacturing they do have can still be put into cars at a profit.

Basically this rumored cell glut is going to be absorbed quickly by all the companies including Tesla to build Semi's and Megapacks. Tesla is not holding back because they don't want to sell Pepsi trucks. IMO they aren't putting Megapacks at Superchargers because they don't have the spare Megapacks.

I haven't seen anyone mention Tesla doesn't have enough compute in the US for US AI, hence they are spending billions to build it out. How in the heck are they going to be able to process the exported data out of China even if it was allowed? Tesla is going to have to build a supercomputer for China anyway (or China can build one and rent out) to process that data since they will be as large of a market if not larger than the US. H100s are not the only game in town. Tesla has proven (as with the car chip shortage) chip shortages don't slow them down. They just write the software for different chips. There are Chinese GPUs but they are on a US blacklist so we never hear about them. I don't know if that means an American company like Tesla can't use them in China or those chips simply can't be imported, I believe it's the later.

IIRC, Tesla in China had to set up a local compute database for processing the info from Tesla cars there in order to address China's security concerns.

If so, it isn't a stretch to presume an AI data center for China FSD is something Tesla has had plans for, and may have been building for some time. Else, why make statements about nearing FSD deployment in China? Those pieces would have to be in place, would they not?

As for where they source the compute hardware, maybe someone with ties to that information about China will share.