Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In an informal discussion with a Tesla employee about a year ago, she told me employees had the option of buying the stock at different intervals for the lowest price it had been at in the previous 90 days. I did not ask for any more details...

Hmm, seems like high volatility would be better for employee morale than a high stock price. If I could use a time machine to catch the falling knife, I would be pretty happy about these massive drops. What am I missing?

Ok. I didn’t originally buy FSD because

a) nothing was available in that category at time of purchase
b) didn’t appear it would be coming the following week
c) I was willing to give Tesla the extra ‘after purchase’ 1k penalty cost the very second I caught whiff of a FSD feature coming out

So, I’d have purchased it eventually and been happy to pay more. Instead, I got it for less than even originally priced with the added bonus of the upgraded hardware. Just too good a deal to pass up, even if FSD doesn’t materialize for some time. I’m okay with that. I love my car and what it currently does. It’s badass.

Perhaps I was a bit lucky, but I make my own luck too. I’ve seen how Tesla operates with features and options. There was always a good chance the pricing would change or be ‘paired’ differently or something. I might have had to pay even more than the original penalized after purchase price, but I was willing to take that chance.

But Tesla isn’t losing on the deal with me. I’m planning on purchasing a decked out Y w/AP & FSD and I’m planning on purchasing a decked out steampunk, blade runner pickup w/AP & FSD. Really excited about the latter. Liked stoked!

Well said. I think we’re going to go for the FSD upgrade this weekend. Been buying a lot of TSLA lately and should probably send some to Tesla, too.

Hmm, seems like high volatility would be better for employee morale than a high stock price. If I could use a time machine to catch the falling knife, I would be pretty happy about these massive drops. What am I missing?
You think if you work really, really hard and make profit SP will really shoot up and you can finally buy that single bed room house you always wanted in the Bay area for a million $ ?

BTW, speaking of my mad crush on my P3D, someone commented on that it looks like an orca. I loved that so much I renamed it "Free Willy."

The red brake calipers? Well that's just the blood in the water of the legacy ICE companies as they are being chewed up by Free Willy and his fast growing pod of Model 3s.

1. View attachment 385891
I won't be disappointed. I have a mad crush on my P3D!

First; on topic: Bought a few more shares at the MMD. Still holding back some cash until after April delivery #s.
I also bought FSD today for the 3. But I wonder how many people actually know about the deal? I mean, besides us and the CleanTech, Electrek readers and people who check their Tesla account daily, who would know the price for FSD, post purchase, had dropped by half; until Monday!?
I'm doubtful there will be a meaningful uptick in the very short interval it was on sale.

Further, ok, I'll admit, I think Tesla has a demand problem.
In that I demand my spouse let me pick the Model Y color, interior and P-ness™ of this car. Missed out on the P3D. Ain't gonna happen with the Y (ok honey?).
I queued up the X perfectly for Y. Great deal on a lease ($875!). Expires Aug '20.
I soooo hope the Y has panorama glass. I really love that on the X. But red calipers, def. Ordering tomorrow no matter what. Wait is that Thursday? Damn it.

First; on topic: Bought a few more shares at the MMD. Still holding back some cash until after April delivery #s.
I also bought FSD today for the 3. But I wonder how many people actually know about the deal? I mean, besides us and the CleanTech, Electrek readers and people who check their Tesla account daily, who would know the price for FSD, post purchase, had dropped by half; until Monday!?
I'm doubtful there will be a meaningful uptick in the very short interval it was on sale.

Further, ok, I'll admit, I think Tesla has a demand problem.
In that I demand my spouse let me pick the Model Y color, interior and P-ness™ of this car. Missed out on the P3D. Ain't gonna happen with the Y (ok honey?).
I queued up the X perfectly for Y. Great deal on a lease ($875!). Expires Aug '20.
I soooo hope the Y has panorama glass. I really love that on the X. But red calipers, def. Ordering tomorrow no matter what. Wait is that Thursday? Damn it.

Would Tesla owners be outraged if Tesla pushed an alert to the Tesla app and car screen advising of the FSD deal currently available? Would seem like an obvious way to inform owners.

Anybody know what the deal with the semi reservations are? You can now reserve online? Is this news? Weren't companies already reserving semis? Is it that you can now officially reserve online whereas before you had to go through a Tesla contact?

Tesla customers can pay up to $200,000 to reserve the electric Semi truck on the company's website

https://ftalphaville.ft.com/2019/03/12/1552399812000/The-Tesla-semi-truck-is-ready-to-reserve/

"Mea culpa: In our haste to bring you news, we reported this as if it was new. However, according to the Wayback Machine, Tesla has been taking deposits on the vehicle since November 2017."

Confused yet?

Last edited:
Well said. I think we’re going to go for the FSD upgrade this weekend. Been buying a lot of TSLA lately and should probably send some to Tesla, too.

I’ve been debating getting AP for the Model 3 but it’s hard to pass up 7 more shares at these prices. Decisions...

OT: the Model 3 got the software update / range increase last night. Was weird to refresh the app and see the range jump from 182 to 186 without charging.

OT/An advice: Wife prefers “keep climate on” versus “dog mode” while waiting in the car. I think issue is the “owner will be back soon” message on the screen. :D

Ok after hours SEC talk. I have reviewed the pleadings so far and I was about to post that the Judge will permit a Reply Brief by the SEC when someone posted the Order. You guys are incredible. The Local Rules govern the proceeding here. I believe Rule 83 covers civil contempt. Basically there will be wide open briefing and exchange of legal and factual arguments. In Federal Court affidavits are called declarations and they set forth the facts and the briefs argue the application to and of the law. I was surprised by the burden of proof, clear and convincing. This is a much higher obligation on the SEC.
Lets talk procedure first. The Judge has offered both parties the opportunity for an evidentiary hearing. This is a right under the Local Rule. An evidentiary hearing is only necessary if the facts are in dispute. I am interested in whether the SEC points out disputed facts and asks for a hearing. EM may also request a hearing if the SEC alleges facts he believes are incorrect. Lets be clear facts are much different from opinion, interpretation and application of law. If no one requests an evidentiary hearing it is a sign that they all believe the facts are not in dispute significantly. I suspect that the tweets, the public disclosures the effect on the market, Tesla Policy and most other facts are not in dispute but the interpretation of them is as is the law.
I can also see a hearing in which evidence is not taken but each side argues the law. The Court has discretion to hear argument of counsel in order to ask questions and clarify the positions in the briefs.
I found EM's brief exceptional. I appreciated the way that the First Amendment argument was raised even though it can only be applied under a particular interpretation of the SEC's position. With all I have seen thus far I see a difficult hill to climb for the SEC on Tesla policy, prior release of information, materiality and motive. I think I said previously that I would never take a case before a Judge with this level of minimal level of potential contempt. So far I would not expect a dramatic victory for either party even though EM deserves it. Frankly I wouldn't be surprised if the Court said no contempt was shown but cautioned EM and Tesla about the seriousness of the Agreement. I could also see an interpretation that there was no harm but EM is lectured about tweeting. Both of these should be seen as victories for EM but saving face for the SEC. So far I have seen nothing that shows a clear and convincing proof of contempt but hey I am just one person and obviously the SEC disagrees

Anybody know what the deal with the semi reservations are? You can now reserve online? Is this news? Weren't companies already reserving semis? Is it that you can now officially reserve online whereas before you had to go through a Tesla contact?
IIRC, I had always been able to reserve online and make a deposit since the announcement as I toyed around with Semis and Roadster reservations pages.

For the record, I rated this "funny" before you added the emoticon!

I’ve been debating getting AP for the Model 3 but it’s hard to pass up 7 more shares at these prices. Decisions...

OT: the Model 3 got the software update / range increase last night. Was weird to refresh the app and see the range jump from 182 to 186 without charging.

OT/An advice: Wife prefers “keep climate on” versus “dog mode” while waiting in the car. I think issue is the “owner will be back soon” message on the screen. :D

I don’t ever read anything about them. Really, I don’t. I want them to die.

I expect prestige ICE sedans will be the first to fall. Here’s why.

The school strike movement begun by Greta Thunberg is gaining momentum. The message is getting out that there *is* an enhanced greenhouse effect crisis and we need to act fast.

Driving any new ICE sedan priced more than $35K signals to all and sundry that the driver *chose* to ignore the plea of the school children. Effectively the same as tattooing “heartless bastard” on one’s forehead.

A year from now, ditto for SUVs.

SP action today was not what I expect at the start of the week. I was hoping for around 300 today, and 310 by tomorrow or Thursday. I was planning on selling the 320 calls I bought for next Friday before close on 3/14 (climb on the rumor, sell on the news). If they aren't green by Thursday, I will hold them until after the reveal hoping for a pop on Friday. I will sell Friday before time decay really gets me next week.

For the reveal, I hope Elon puts up a slide talking about how Model 3 is the number one selling car in the US (by revenue). Also the safest and with highest customer satisfaction. Then show the size of the SUV market, and talk about what Model Y can do, before the reveal of the vehicle.
Unfortunately the timing of MS Jonas's note was quite poor (or deliberate?) Tesla was gaining momentum and then he tried to snuff it out this morning.

Tesla in talks with CATL for GF3?
But why?
They have the IP on the chemistry. Panasonic makes the cilinders and Tesla puts them in packs.
Tesla is buying Maxwell for the IP concerning the mixture and also the related manufacturing methodes for the dry-electrode which increases production efficiency by skipping drying time/usage of solvents/...with a proven energy density of +250Wh/kg

If the goal is to have an output of 3000cars/week in GF3 for 2020, isn't it more logical/cost efficient to implement Tesla's/Maxwell tech to produce the cells instead of buying them from a new vendor? Or ship 2170 cells from GF1 to China to compensate any ramp problems in cell production?

I'm going to repeat my theory, since everyone missed it the first time.
We know China factory is only making *SR* cars (maybe SR+).
We know that there's a lot of worry about theft of IP in China.

My theory is that the SR cars coming out of China will use inferior battery cell technology -- always one generation back from Tesla's cutting edge which will be used at the Gigafactory. For the purposes of protecting IP. Each time the cutting edge moves forward, China will get the older tech.

I could be totally wrong but it's a theory.

Not really.
* Station wagons / estate cars are long hatchback sedan-like cars with a minimized rear taper. They appear to have two "boxes" (segments) - an engine "box", and a cabin "box" (in contrast to sedans which are "three box" designs, with the third box being the rear taper zone)
* CUVs (crossovers) have a similar shape / seating position to SUVs, but are unibody and generally smaller (sometimes much smaller - CUV does not in any way imply "large").

Modern station wagon (Golf SportsWagon):
2018-volkswagen-golf-sportwagen-in-depth-model-review-car-and-driver-photo-696807-s-original.jpg

CUV / Crossover example (Hyundai Kona)
maxresdefault.jpg
I'm not seeing the difference. Crossover == station wagon.

Are you saying that it's a higher seating position, basically?