Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Contrary to Mark B. S., this is definitely good news. Judge Nathan spent several days reviewing the outlandish case and then told Musk's lawyers to go ahead and rebut the SEC.

She knows they've already prepared the reply, so the one-day limit is to cut the extra two pages out. (She is sending a "stop being so verbose" message).

I think she's going to rebuke Musk and also rebuke the SEC and is trying to figure out how to do it.

I agree with all of this. I think she's gonna attempt to get both parties to make it crystal clear what is/isn't allowed to be tweeted without review.

It’s been awhile since I graduated college, but

Asia + North America + Europe = 3 continents, right? Why is Elon saying 2?

Maybe I’m getting the math wrong somewhere.
Europe and Asia are sometimes referred to as a one continent called Eurasia.

From Wikipedia:
"The division between Europe and Asia as two different continents is a historical social construct, with no clear physical separation between them; thus, in some parts of the world, Eurasia is recognized as the largest of the six, five, or even four continents on Earth.[4] In geology, Eurasia is often considered as a single rigid megablock."

So technically you are both correct.

We've explained this before. You're seeing "startup costs" -- it eats a ton of range in the first ten minutes to heat everything up, then it gets better. You can't extrapolate. If you had driven for 170 miles, you'd find that you had a lot more range than you think.

Worst case range for a trip in a older Model S is 70% of rated. Period.

If you're driving short distances and then letting the car sit parked, and repeat, you'll see much higher energy usage. rates (I've seen 1300 watt-hours/mile, which is even worse than you saw). But you'll never make it anywhere near full RANGE in one day if you're doing that, so it's not a RANGE issue.
This is simple physics and chemistry here.

Physics, thermodynamics, heat loss, from cabin and battery by exposing to cold again and again. You are basically spending more time exposed per mile driven.

Chemistry is where regen efficiency is low and also the battery current discharge rate becomes very slow and hence making it unusable. Once the temperature is higher in the battery, the ion discharge rate is faster.

Reactions: neroden
I've got some pretty liberal rules on my account and I have never seen the ability to buy calls on margin. Unless perhaps you're talking portfolio margin against some other equities. Are you able to do so somehow / somewhere? I'm curious.
Mulder 1241 said his calls were on margin. I assume he borrowed against other equities. That's still highly leveraged.

(Long calls are leveraged inherently. Buying them with borrowed money is double leverage.)

Reactions: Tenable
Can any one tell me why there isnt a place to go where we can suggest ideas for Tesla to use and have a system where you can upvote other peoples ideas that you like, and the engineers at tesla check the site to see the most up voted ones and decide whether they are good ideas. I have heaps of ideas how tesla could improve things and yet no where to suggest them.

I think this was already brought up, but how often is it that a sur-reply is granted in cases such as the one we're following with Elon/SEC?
Cases such as this one are extremely rare. The SEC has been violating standard procedures. In a normal contempt case, the SEC would have gotten all their ducks in a row before filing the first contempt motion, and that would have been the end of it.

So I couldn't tell you how often things happen in cases like this one!

Can any one tell me why there isnt a place to go where we can suggest ideas for Tesla to use and have a system where you can upvote other peoples ideas that you like, and the engineers at tesla check the site to see the most up voted ones and decide whether they are good ideas. I have heaps of ideas how tesla could improve things and yet no where to suggest them.

They don't even have a bug database or bug tracking or regression testing. (and yes, they should) So don't expect this any time ever.

Can some one please answer this . I have never taken a delivery from tesla but have seen some online, i am wondering why the majority of the explaining of how the car and touch screen works isn't explained in a video tutorial from the touch screen itself. eg if it was showing you how to turn on the fan you would here a voice directing you and where to press highlighted on the screen.

You're badly off-topic for this thread. I'd suggest finding a more appropriate thread, or starting one in an appropriate sub.

It's called Twitter. Is there any other company where you can get the attention of the CEO with an idea or complaint?

OT, and this is it, off to another thread if people want to discuss further:

I think they likely use Jira for this: https://extissues.teslamotors.com

My place of employment uses the same to track issues, including bugs.

If they have a functioning bug database, the software department isn't using it. At all. Otherwise there wouldn't be high-priority bugs affecting thousands of angry customers which would take a couple of days to fix and haven't been fixed for five years. And we *know* they're not doing proper regression testing. The software history is way too awful and full of newly-introduced, never-fixed regressions.

Hardware department might be using the bug database; they're doing a good job.

This makes me nauseous thinking this guy can get a third free roadster.
578DB358-33FB-4BFE-9457-2725F9871BBA.png

I have to say, it’s a hard, hard individual who both promotes human sacrifice and disses puppies.

Puppies do not procrastinate. They are either all in or completely shut down. :p

However, I do, ahem, second the motion on Lutz. ;)

It takes the fun out of funny when someone doesn’t get the joke. Procrastinating is really for p*$$i*$, but recently that word was used and someone claimed they immediately thought of kittens. Which....hogwash. So, being as I am in full support of kittens and they can do no wrong, and I didn’t want to upset anyone by using that other word, I substituted with puppies.

See. No longer even a little bit funny.

P.S. Puppies are cute but then they turn into dogs and not so cute and way too dependent and just not a cat.

This I feel is the final cross road for legacy car companies and it's a really tough one. Is the future electric? If the future is electric, will people buy a product at a higher price, less robust charging infrastructure and unproven less efficient power train?

IF these are computers on wheels, ask yourself when the last time a CPU brand that is SLOWER, cost MORE and incompatible with the major operating systems end up beating Intel? Do you think a high build quality case with no panel gaps would sell said computer? This simply doesn't exist because no computer manufacture would design and market such a product. It's literally suicidal.

So the legacy manufactures already lost. There's really no way around this until they jump on the tesla supercharger train and use their power trains. It's like the good old wild west of computing that every computer must be IBM compatible or else it's a dud. So the only thing they have is their ICEs to compete, hence the constant attack on electrification and Tesla. They know that Tesla have created a monster that IF the future is electric, then any car needs to have something "Tesla Inside"(haha tm Intel) or else you have no audience that would care.

Like how can anyone recommend an Ipace right now? The car is nicely made with good build quality but it lacks the basic fundamentals! It has less range AND a terrible charging infrastructure at 2x the cost of a Tesla. You just don't wish that on anyone because it just doesn't make sense.

I think the world would be too boring if there was only one car brand in it. Or anything else - phone, computer, etc. It's like having no freedom at all and being controlled by somebody. Would likely cause a resentment from many and them trying to buy something different even if more expensive and with less features just to differentiate themselves.

Reactions: Sean Wagner
Some geographers assert Eurasia is one continent. Europe is a peninsula off the Eurasian continent that is political idea,but not a continent.

In Latin America, they teach "America" is one continent. What we call North American and South America is one.

In the British school system there are 5 continents. Australia and Antarctica are just islands like Greenland.

What I find odd is that few(nobody?) considers Africa to be part of the same continent as Eurasia.

I've been reading various reports that people were disappointed with the Model Y launch. I think the analysts are misinterpreting it as people being disappointed in the Y, when I think the actual cause for the disappointment is that there wasn't something else unveiled like the Roadster at the Semi event. People had high hopes of a model S/X refresh, or the pickup, or something, and were disappointed none of those happened.