Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has to be a bit more fact based and a bit less conspiracy theory alike though. Something like:

Every time you are wondering why cash-printing Tesla is still rated "sell" by investment banks:

"A new study shows that in the years since the Paris climate agreement, banks have paid $1.9 trillion to finance fossil fuels."

US banks pledged to fund renewable energy, but they still spend way more on fossil fuels
I.e. anchor the information to easily verified facts and point out the heavy conflicts of interest, such as:

Trivia: can you list the 120,000,000,000,000 reasons Wall Street has to mislead about Tesla products?

Answer: ~120 trillion dollars is the estimated market value of the fossil fuel industry and related industries: mineral rights, reserves, distribution infrastructure, car factories supported by trillions of dollars in financing (loans), and over 100 billion dollars of media advertising over the past 10 years alone.​

Feel free to use these. :D
Just tweeted that out....to my 22 followers :D

Not gonna happen I think, Elon has a really good shot at the judge throwing cold water at the SEC's attempts to harass him ...

Oral arguments are held in Judge Nathan's courtroom at 2pm ET April 4 (Wednesday next week), and the judge must issue a ruling within 60 days, but I'd expect a decision.within ~20 days after the hearing the latest, with a chance for some kind of indication or preliminary ruling from the bench.
You guys win. I'll let this rest. I just want Elon to be free from this SEC b.s. we still need him to call the shots. I believe he still could without a title.

Just curious on how many more decades before we consider this “competition is going to kill Tesla” narrative as “crying wolf”? We are already 1 and a half in. Do we need to give this at least 3 before discounting it?

Toyota is still pushing those fuel cells for some reason.

I would expect that as long as Tesla sales are decent for a few years. Of course I would expect the narrative to get worse with each new EV announcement in the sort term. Once consumers actually start driving some of these less efficient "long range" EVs and try to use the DC network I would expect more comparative based articles for real world use. Yes there will be a few 150kW stations but the general public is being sold on range and mile per charge rates. We all know the ambiguity here in the claims and actual utility. Urban EV owners should be pleased with these vehicles but I do expect a greater awareness emerging toward efficiency once there is a greater pool of 200-300 mile premium EVs in force. The SC network particularly with recent enhancements should prove to further reinforce utility and highlight the efficiency of ICE centric designs like the MB offering. The next 12-24 months should also be interesting in regards to any potential Tesla SC network partner programs.

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Edit to the above: paint might be a bit more capable than I give it credit for. The last tweet from Vicki on the subject, not long after she was laid off:

You and I both know it’s not gonna happen in Fremont. Even if the paint shop worked perfectly without a break down anywhere along the line they struggle to get out 1200 cars a day GA can’t build any more cars than they can pull from paint.

Also, from elsewhere:

The entire factory may shut down but paint never stops lol ....it’s true

1200*7 is 8400/wk. Still, doubt that they averaged anywhere near 8400k/wk during uptime all quarter, and I doubt that uptime was much more than ~95% this quarter. I'll stick with 7500/wk. :)

Interesting, and this adds new color to the decision to eliminate the 75D model: if margins on European Model 3's were higher than on the 75D S/X, then it might make sense to allocate paint shop capacity to the Model 3 instead of low ASP S/X units?

(IIRC @ReflexFunds was speculating about this?)

For someone who claims to be as engaged with the EV community as you are and for as long as you have, it’s just surprising that you wouldn’t have been on here long ago asking questions about the EV company that is changing the market the most....and by a very large margin. That’s all.

I have been visiting this forum since it was formulated as well as many others all the way back to the Aptera days and EV discussion lists.

• Informative
Reactions: SW2Fiddler and SO16
It would be great to have a webpage with all the FUD listed in an easily searchable format with source, and a corresponding fact, figure or infographic that demonstrates how wrong it is right next to it. Then we could just refer people to that site when disputing FUD instead of generating new responses each time. Or we could create a meme for each entry showing how ridiculous the FUD claims are.
You mean like this? :)

How much FUD can the media make?

Interesting, and this adds new color to the decision to eliminate the 75D model: if margins on European Model 3's were higher than on the 75D S/X, then it might make sense to allocate paint shop capacity to the Model 3 instead of low ASP S/X units?

(IIRC @ReflexFunds was speculating about this?)

My paint on my 3 is not as bad as other earlier cars I have seen. Mine was recently tested when I was partly in a friends garage installing a 14-50 for their new 3. They went to retrieve lunch and when approaching the garage the auto open feature closed the door on my hood making a small dent in the fender and a very small chip. I expected full destruction and of course no good deed goes undone. The 3 was to blame for this incident as well as the garage door installer who placed the eye in a poor position. One reason I gravitate to white on some cars.

Two cents from the perimeter of Europe, Finland: so far the most bizarre tidbit, considering meta:
FUDsters have translated a couple of hit lines, like "Elon Musk leaving Tesla", into Finnish (out of all the crazy difficult languages of the whole wide world). I have seen those commercials even on TMC, unfortunately.

Finland... so insignificant especially regarding EVs (only 2404 EV passenger cars on Finnish roads at 20181231). Still media FUDding here too. This country is already quite hostile against Tesla. At some point I followed a bit of EV forums from Finland, Sweden and Spain. Finnish comments were most violent: Some persons threatening to harm EVs when they see them. So who needs machined FUD when we have the natives.

Expecting that to change.. giving it 7-10-15 years.

Despite the slight concerns am now after 107 km cautiously falling in love with M3, my 'brand new baby'.. :D

Interesting. At least while the markets are closed, feel free to speculate why the EV sentiment in Finland is so different from e.g. Denmark, Sweden and Norway.

Love the image that he was replying to ;)

8c4ys3kawzp01.jpg

I love a small detail in the background: what appears to be Elon's secret lair in an extinct volcano. This might be reference to:

Twitter

"If this works, I'm treating myself to a volcano lair. It's time."​

This very realistic picture has a big flaw though: in reality a Falcon Heavy launching at such distance would require significant ground infrastructure, or if it's launching from an underground cavern then at minimum the ~3 km/sec rocket exhaust would have to create a sizable cloud on the ground...

Btw., original picture:

main-qimg-f307d71e85c341e4a4f66a99439e382d-c

That's the year Elon founded SpaceX, when all employees would easily fit on a single photo. :D

It vexes me terribly to post out that Belgium is in fact yellow on that map, so MB, unfortunately.

But I expect this to change rapidly as the M3's get out there.
You might obtain a mite of solace by turning to that map's depiction of the Bay of Bengal and contemplate the wondrous isles that appear therein....:confused:( and poor Burma!)

Last edited:
A microblog from weibo.com:

They delivered 10,000 in half a month.. Great internal execution. However, many friends taking delivery encountered more or less problems in their cars. The follow-up repairs might be a pitfall.

(The attached image seems a screen shot of a message from a Tesla employee):
Crazy delivery season! The whole company joined to deliver the cars to eager customers!!! Exceeded 10,000 in half a month in the country! Witnessed many colleagues became owners... Witnessed Model 3 became the next generation street car. ⚡⚡⚡

微博

#里程焦虑##边开边聊# 半个月交付1万台。。这内部执行力可以的。不过看着周围提车的朋友都多多少少出现了一些车的问题。这后续维修也是一个坑啊。

model3.jpg

Because the Fins have a strange affection for palm trees and are looking forward to global warming ?

Several things set Finland apart from its Scandinavian (and Baltic) neighbors.

For example, this month after close to 10 years delay the Finnish government granted the operating license to Olkiluoto Unit 3, a PWR with a nameplate electrical power of 1600 MW.