Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
True.

What exactly is Tesla doing about this?
Ignoring the problem so all the lies can be rooted more deeply and firmly?
Amazon got zero of such misinformation treatment.

I agree. Tesla is making a big mistake for not addressing all the FUD and lies. There are many ways to address those, some approaches can be fairly low cost and effective, such as building one webpage to address new lies right away. They can't just say it's all FUD, then do nothing about it. The damage to Tesla's brand image and demand has been very significant. If you don't control the narrative, your enemies will.

Recently SpaceX published an one-page PDF file to give high level induction about their Starlink program. I think that's a very good approach. First of all, if SpaceX don't explain it, all kinds of rumor and FUD would fly everywhere. Secondly, it's a PDF file, media can't easily misquote or modify it.

The only thing worse than a deflated stock is the sheer volume of nonsense being posted on this forum. Cmon guys. Elon isn’t the devil all of a sudden. Demand hasn’t shriveled up. China factory is still being finalized. Geez
But I believe demand less than it would be and might get worse because Tesla doesn't take PR seriously enough. Elon is essential to Tesla's success and also has shortcomings that are a major liability, and he is stretched thin. The best potential answer I see is more involvement by the board and additional key executives to share the load. IMO.

That may be so with a very distinct difference.. amazon wasn't selling something ordinary joe was very concerned about or even idenfied with.

How much damage that misinformation did to amazon shows today: nobody remembers its competitors.
You think in 20 years no one will remember GM, BMW, Mercedes?

This is grave digging.

If you are really interested in making this comparison then do some research and you will find many identical criticisms that were leveled at Amazon that are being leveled at Tesla, down to the lack of charisma of the CEO. Its competitors were mainly taken to be Wal-Mart and other big box retailers, the deep pocketed behemoths that would crush AMZN as soon as they got around to it. Sound familiar?

Do yourself a favor and drop the Amazon comparison. You are simply looking foolish, and I do not say stuff like that easily. Everyone looks like a fool on a daily basis for one reason or another but here you are treading repeatedly over territory where you are simply wrong wrong wrong.

Amazon was attacked on every level relentlessly just like Tesla. It’s bankruptcy was taken as a matter of gospel to be imminent and understood as inevitable by all the smart people on WS. The Jeff Bezos worshippers would soon shed tears over their fallen God and their own stupidity. People who believed otherwise were blinded by the cult of the internet and had no understanding of how the real world works.

I look forward to Tesla having the same long term results.

That may be so with a very distinct difference.. amazon wasn't selling something ordinary joe was very concerned about or even idenfied with.

How much damage that misinformation did to amazon shows today: nobody remembers its competitors.
A better question might be, "How often do people think about Duesenberg, Packard, or Pierce Arrow"? I haven't heard "It's a doozy" for many years.

I recall reading that Amazon can't possibly succeed, will never be profitable, that the business model is flawed, etc. Seems as if it's the same misinformation treatment to me.

Well, Amazon US retailing is barely profitable.

International is still losing money.

Amazon makes money hand over fist with web services, consulting, video streaming etc.

you haven't provided any evidence that publishers are deliberately instructing editors who in turn are deliberately instructing reporters to write only Tesla hit pieces

Reuters specifically? (since their FUD triggered Fridays drop in SP)

Reuters Spreads Electric Vehicle FUD On Behalf Of Laggard Japanese Auto | CleanTechnica

Ongoing Media FUD in general? Cleantechnica.com covers it with a routine series:

"Check our Pravduh reports to see how common it is for established media outlets like Reuters, which purports to be a factful source of information, are instead spreading disinformation. This case is just one amongst many"
Btw, this is 10 seconds of Googling. But I type slow. :p

Cheers!

Last edited:
Avg is 4.2 crashes per million miles or 1 crash in about 250,000 miles. As you can see your wife would have to drive quite a bit more even to get to the avg crash rate.

The "best" driver might be someone who is a taxi driver with 100k/yr of driving without a crash for 50 years. Let us say 1 crash per 5 million miles. 7 9s is 1 crash per 10 million miles. So, yes 40x better than average would be better than the "best driver". 7 9s would be 1 crash per 100x more miles than what your wife has driven.

Please define crash in this context. Thanks.

Mercedes-Benz recalls 354,000 late-model cars for fire risk - Roadshow
Should this receive more attention? 30 starter fires in the US alone, vs Tesla what 2? They aren’t even in an accident!!!!!

Audi won’t even tell you how many have caught fire:
Audi recalls 75K vehicles due to fire risk

Maybe it was this one:
2019 Audi A7 Catches Fire while Testing - GTspirit
or this one
Ohio man says his car burst into flames
or this one:
Second report of Audi Q5 SUV catching fire in Ontario
or this one:
Audi R-8 engulfed in flames on Texas City highway

Gees, I am getting tired. Was this all just in the last year? Why isn’t CNBC on this? Seems like an epidemic, oh wait that advertiser thing. We like having the lights on. Just keep on Tesla, we’re an entertainment organization anyway not a facts and figures business.

On the AP semi wreck. Any other car the focus would be on the careless truck drive, but it’s a Tesla. And honestly it will push Tesla to be even better, the problem is HW3 most likely addresses this with 3D mapping that HW2.5 can’t do. A real “story” might focus on the quickly upcoming changes that will prevent this. But alas, if you don’t eat there you are free to *sugar*.

Sorry, I still see no proof that publishers are singling out Tesla because Tesla won’t advertise in their publication or on their channel. Do you have any?

Reuters specifically? (since their FUD triggered Fridays drop in SP)

Reuters Spreads Electric Vehicle FUD On Behalf Of Laggard Japanese Auto | CleanTechnica

Ongoing Media FUD in general? Cleantechnica.com covers it with a routine series:

"Check our Pravduh reports to see how common it is for established media outlets like Reuters, which purports to be a factful source of information, are instead spreading disinformation. This case is just one amongst many"
Btw, this is 10 seconds of Googling. But I type slow. :p

Cheers!
F Reuter’s

If I read it correctly, the point of the article is to say that Musk was lying when he told new investors on the capital raise call that he didn't plan to actually spend the money, because he has now sent an email about cutting costs...but these are two different issues. There is nothing in Musk's email to say that they are spending that cash, or plan to. Note also: even if they did spend $2 billion in the next few months if they were massively cashflow negative, you could still attribute that spending to the cash they already had, not the cash from the capital raise.

If I read it correctly, the point of the article is to say that Musk was lying when he told new investors on the capital raise call that he didn't plan to actually spend the money, because he has now sent an email about cutting costs...but these are two different issues. There is nothing in Musk's email to say that they are spending that cash, or plan to. Note also: even if they did spend $2 billion in the next few months if they were massively cashflow negative, you could still attribute that spending to the cash they already had, not the cash from the capital raise.
Why is it everyone in the media seems to assume that the only cash Tesla has is this capital raise? They ignore all the vehicles they are selling as well as Tesla Energy which is now ramping. I’m so sick of the brainless FUD.

This is grave digging.
They'll remember them like we remember Borders, Good Guys, Tower Records, and Circuit City.

How ‘Amazon factor’ killed retailers like Borders, Circuit City