Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are quite a few other newspapers you forgot to mention e.g. Washington Post and Business Insider but many others as well. Can you explain why they intentionally misreport the facts with such glee then? I mean if they just have trouble understanding you'd think they could at least report the facts correctly (keeping quotes in context, not altering quotes and claiming that they are verbatim quotes, getting factual numbers wrong etc. etc.) but they very often don't. At the same time there are a significant number of examples where the reporters go on to brag about dinging TSLA on twitter or other forums. I really don't think @tinm 's was able to explain that level of hatred which is pervasive in MSM. It goes deeper and it really seems like a personal fear of loss (of personal livelihood or similar) is better able to explain that sort of tribalism.

WaPo: I think the 3 points I mentioned cover it, esp. #2. They are a great political journalism outfit, but they don't know cleantech and have a simplistic approach to environmental+business/economy matters that is disappointing.

As I understand it, Business Insider was started by someone who engaged in illegal activities on the stock market and has a bit of Seeking Alpha–like DNA in its blood. I don't consider it a legitimate news organization on the topic of Tesla. Seems to do fine political reporting, but clearly not on the level of WaPo, Politico, etc. Nonetheless, even using just those 3 reasons I gave, I consider it more closely connected to the FUD mentioned in #2 than other media outlets. On the management level, I think that matters a lot. On the smaller reporter level, I think there's a mix of thinking Chanos is a great guy, bias against quirky Silicon Valley billionaires, and not understanding the cars, Tesla, or the market.

Just my hunches and observations, of course.

IMO, the turning point was when Musk (rightly) criticized Reveal and Linette Lopez(with reveal clearly acting as propaganda for the UAW and Lopez for TSLAQ) and then suggested Pravduh. Reporters circled the wagons around them and developed a personal hatred for Elon similar to that of Trump, and for similar reasons.

Yes, I totally agree. Journalists of all stripes took that as an attack on their work — in a time with Don the Con was attacking a core pillar of democracy to an unprecedented degree. (Very bad timing and Elon could have worded it much better if he was more aware of the broader political discussions, imho.)

Is it safe to say that many of the institutional investors are getting out of Tesla for greener immediate pastures, not caring about what is lined up down the road for Tesla? Seems to me this opens the door for private investment at absurdly low prices. By now...turn off your tickers and your mobile apps. Turn a blind/deaf ear to all the ridiculous FUD and see where we are in a year, or 3, or 5. Hold Hold Hold!

Dan

Hi everyone! Took a vacation from TSLA long time ago, eventually purchased a Model S a year ago, and came back to the stock last fall, gradually increasing my position from October on...In Feb, when it was at 320 just before the Y release I guess, I thought buy the rumor, sell the news but didn't do it. Just kept my shares all the way down to here. I had decided I wanted to buy and hold, for the next couple of years. I feel the pain, but I will not try to time the market, as I know I cannot do that. I'll just keep on accumulating bit by bit. Buying and holding again.
But I have a hard time portraying the situation right now. Trade war, macro's, etc..all have an influence, but the BASICS of the company are what matters and although in 2013-2014 all was almost cristal clear (but with a lot of risk), here, I somehow doubt. S&X sales do matter of course, but I don't think they matter as much as M3 sales. But such a crash from the 380's to just 200 in a few months is more indicative of real fear of a company going belly up than just slow growth. So are we seeing here the greatest opportunity to buy cheap TSLA or is it the beginning of the end?
If the Model 3 is a better car than my Model S, I think there shouldn't be any demand problem. If they managed to build it with a (comfortable) margin in the past, can only get better. SO...what are we missing?
Sorry for the naiveness of my questions, but I just try to keep it simple and didn't read the last 2000+ pages of the thread...

But I have a hard time portraying the situation right now. Trade war, macro's, etc..all have an influence, but the BASICS of the company are what matters and although in 2013-2014 all was almost cristal clear (but with a lot of risk), here, I somehow doubt. S&X sales do matter of course, but I don't think they matter as much as M3 sales. But such a crash from the 380's to just 200 in a few months is more indicative of real fear of a company going belly up than just slow growth. So are we seeing here the greatest opportunity to buy cheap TSLA or is it the beginning of the end?

Situation is that Tesla is under full assault and the management still does not care, it continues playing blind idiots.

Expect Going private #2 at some $210...

Why not go private now? Ridiculous cheap.

The reasons Elon gave for not wanting to go private still apply. He doesn't want to kick out retail investors or even some of the big institutionals (ARK Invest springs to mind) by going private. And do you think there would be much support from current holders at $210 when many of them were unhappy with the thought of $420 and being kicked out of the stock? Talk about kick in the teeth.

The FUD is real and from reading this thread it's clearly doing its job. Keep a clear and calm mind and focus on the company and the great things they're doing rather than obsessing over current stock movement.