Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was surprised they didn't bump their September S/X numbers up ~500 each, I think that'd be more accurate.
Yes - I don't think they sold less S&X in Sept compared to August.

BTW, the case of S&X is curious.

Q1
EU+US : 10,623
Total : 12,091
Diff : ~1,500

Q3
EU+US : 12,028
Total : 17,650
Diff : ~5,600

Q3
EU+US : 11,507 (incomplete)
Total : 17,400
Diff : ~6,000

So, did China (and ROW) really buy so many S&X in Q2 and Q3 - compared to Q1 ?

There goes the Auto VIEs, but then along came "slo walkin', slo talkin"" FCA. Recognition of "Mouse nut" credits like ZEV, GHG & CAFE are still an enigma when trying to model the financials.

Are there any US ZEV/GHG/CAFE credits apart from the CARB ones... which as of late have been yielding almost nothing? Isn't the FCA deal predominantly EU? Wasn't FCA's US dealings with Tesla primarily in the form of buying CARB ZEV credits? Or am I remembering that wrong?

NL+NO+ES Model 3 deliveries in the past few days have been unusually low, even by the standards of a new quarter. 34 total, despite it being on weekdays. Q3 was 74, and Q2 was 234. Their European delivery network seems to be maturing, to have so little inventory left. But it's also a sign that they didn't send enough to Europe.

UK reportedly had too few vehicles, so I doubt the remaining inventory is there. Seems like most of it was US, mainly east coast. Sounds like Australia also had some delivery issues. I don't know about New Zealand, Taiwan, or Japan. And of course, whoever knows about China?

Overall, though, maintaining a roughly even match between Model 3s produced and delivered, despite expanding to several new markets, is a job pretty well done.

In Iceland, we open the windows when the temperature gets above 50°F ;)

Love it! I can tell that it won't be long after you take delivery on your Model 3 when you will wish the climate control had a one-touch "no heat" setting. Currently, it requires scrolling the set temp down to "LO" and making sure the A/C is off (which means it doesn't work in "AUTO" mode). Maybe they can call it "Icelander Mode". Just the fresh air please but, if the cabin rises above the set temperature, please turn on the ultra-efficient A/C.

No, according to media reports I've read, a whole slew of excellent high-volume EV's are on the verge of destroying TSLA sales and coming to market in 2019, oh, wait, I mean 2020. These are from companies that know how to produce proper cars in high volumes like Audi and Jaguar. /s

In 3021 Tesla will find it hard to compete with Martian car makers /s

NL+NO+ES Model 3 deliveries in the past few days have been unusually low, even by the standards of a new quarter. 34 total, despite it being on weekdays. Q3 was 74, and Q2 was 234. Their European delivery network seems to be maturing, to have so little inventory left. But it's also a sign that they didn't send enough to Europe.

UK reportedly had too few vehicles, so I doubt the remaining inventory is there. Seems like most of it was US, mainly east coast. Sounds like Australia also had some delivery issues. I don't know about New Zealand, Taiwan, or Japan. And of course, whoever knows about China?

Overall, though, maintaining a roughly even match between Model 3s produced and delivered, despite expanding to several new markets, is a job pretty well done.

yesterday there was one Model3 in inventory in Germany

Are there any US ZEV/GHG/CAFE credits apart from the CARB ones... which as of late have been yielding almost nothing? Isn't the FCA deal predominantly EU? Wasn't FCA's US dealings with Tesla primarily in the form of buying CARB ZEV credits? Or am I remembering that wrong?
CAFE & GHG penalties are nation-wide and apply in the US and its northern neighbor. FCA deal is all EU. You can research CARB's annual ZEV reports at Zero-Emission Vehicle Credit Balances | California Air Resources Board TM not FCA has been the recent buyer, replacing HMC.

Wow. The Model 3 in the US has almost outsold every other vehicle on that chart combined, including the S/X.
I mean, Jeez. Your only choice for an EV that is within an order of magnitude (literally) in sales to a Tesla is a Bolt?

At what point is this going to HURT the EV movement, as in lack of choice?

Edit: No shade intended on a Bolt owners. Nice car. Just can’t believe it’s the only other EV even within shouting distance of Tesla.

Last edited:
So I pulled into a gas station today to buy my sunflower seeds, when someone filling up their pick up truck made a comment about me driving a Tesla into a gas station. We talked a while, and then I let him drive my car. I may have gotten my first referral :).

One interesting thing was that near the end of the drive he was so amazed, he literally asked me why are people buying any other luxury cars? He was very curious. I just told him Tesla is growing very fast, and it takes time for people to get over the old paradigm of what they’re used to.

In 3021 Tesla will find it hard to compete with Martian car makers /s

Not if the conservatives are in power. They will apply high tariffs to all extraterrestrial goods. /s

You forget that Elon sent a peace offering to mars last year.

The Martian High Command was so impressed with that red roadster they made Elon an offer he can't refuse.

For each model 3 Mars will award 100 square miles, not to exceed 50% of the surface.

If Elon sends a roadster 2 they will throw in one of the moons.