Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm finding tracking the stock price to be more difficult today than usual. Market Watch is frequently wrong in different ways ranging from showing the wrong graph to incomplete data to wrong data. When I last checked it was showing the high-water mark for today at ~$3.30 when they had previously shown prices at ~$3.32. No consistency.

I don't normally look at the pre-trade, but trying to get an idea of what is going on I took a look at NASDAQ trades and they are showing 100, 200 trades, then 3200 shares in a trade. So either there are huge spikes (I'd guess attempts to cap the rise) are there's issues with reporting data this morning?

After writing the above I checked Market Watch and it looks like it is back to displaying real data, but its done that before and reverted to garbage. Is this a local browser artifact or is anyone else seeing this?

edit: go back and Market Watch is showing $3.32 while NASDAQ is ticking along at ~$3.30 so definitely still seeing weirdness.

I don't think you're imagining things. I've noticed TSLA bid/ask and price reporting have inconsistencies not present with any other stock I've followed. I just use the reporting available through my broker (Schwab) but I imagine they use the same data feed that most casual retail investors get.

This morning the real-time 1-day/1-minute price chart looked hyper-bullish with a big gap up on open. This stood until almost exactly 9:44 EST when a trade of $118 was recognized as the opening trade of the day. That's around $6 less than yesterday's close. Events like this are why I'm convinced the largest Market Makers are involved in TSLA price manipulation. It's what they do for a living.

Now cue some Wall Street stock market "expert" and apologist who will mansplain how this is completely normal and nothing nefarious is happening at all. Not! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Upper BB at 355, this thing has room to run.

Come On Ihor please release your numbers ...

Already did 40min ago:

$TSLA short int is $10.04 bn; 30.75 mm shs shorted; 23.17% of float; 0.30% borrow fee. Shs shorted down -5.5 mm shs,-15%, over last 30 days as price rose 38% & up +180k shs over last week. Shorts down -$514mm in 2019 mark-to-market losses; down -$358mm in Nov & down -$124mm today

Ihor Dusaniwsky on Twitter

I don't think you're imagining things. I've noticed TSLA bid/ask and price reporting have inconsistencies not present with any other stock I've followed. I just use the reporting available through my broker (Schwab) but I imagine they use the same data feed that most casual retail investors get.

This morning the real-time 1-day/1-minute price chart looked hyper-bullish with a big gap up on open. This stood until almost exactly 9:44 EST when a trade of $118 was recognized as the opening trade of the day. That's around $6 less than yesterday's close. Events like this are why I'm convinced the largest Market Makers are involved in TSLA price manipulation. It's what they do for a living.

Now cue some Wall Street stock market "expert" and apologist who will mansplain how this is completely normal and nothing nefarious is happening at all. Not! :rolleyes:

On my phone, 4G, it shows USD 335,81. On my PC, cable, it shows USD 333.88. Both update regularly...I'll take the highest one! :)

• Funny
Reactions: wipster
Upper BB at 355, this thing has room to run.

Come On Ihor please release your numbers ...
Are you wanting a laugh? His algorithm has produced completely wrong numbers for short interest on $TSLA on at least two occasions. The one earlier this year he claimed short interest was way down when in fact it was going up. And this just happened again with the last official numbers release for Oct 15. He showed a large drop when in fact it was a large rise.

His data sources are demonstrably inadequate to track short interest activity in $TSLA.

If someone insists on posting his estimates here I've no objection, but anyone using his $TSLA short interest figures for stock analysis or trading should re-examine their utility. It isn't too difficult to dredge through his twitter feed and then track that with the official numbers. Do that before using his numbers for anything.

It's interesting to me that the level of shorting has always been INVERSELY proportional to the stock price (the opposite of what would be efficient for them). Historically, for as long as i've been following the stock (roughly 4 years), they always load up on short positions when the stock is at its lowest point, and back off during its peaks. Am i missing something, or does this imply that shorts are REALLY BAD at making money through short selling?

The hedge funds and institutional investors are definitely looking for profit. But not short term profits. They may be driven by ideology and group think - which we sometime confuse for a vast conspiracy.
Those aren't the people I'm talking about. I'm talking about Chuck and his dead brother.

It's interesting to me that the level of shorting has always been INVERSELY proportional to the stock price. Historically, for as long as i've been following the stock (roughly 4 years), they always load up when the stock is at its lowest point, and back off during its peaks. Am i missing something, or does this imply that shorts are REALLY BAD at making money through short selling?
Not all of the shorts, just the shorts in aggregate. I'm pretty sure I read in TMC analysis of a Feb 2018 short making a large amount of money.

Ha! So I go to Cnet from time to time and look what is at the top in the menu bar. :)

Capture.JPG