Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wild prediction: Tesla unveils two trucks: the cybertruck and a regular looking pickup, both made on the same platform. Elon has eluded to the possibility of a more normal looking truck for people who don't like the cybertruck. This would be a severe shock to Ford and GM.

Interesting possibility. I can see unveiling the two variants at same time. I don't think there would be anything to prevent ramping production on the new truck line with just one of them and then ramp up the other on same line or a second one. One thing for sure,
it would guarantee they would be selling tons of pickup trucks in a few years, regardless of how the split turns out.

Reactions: SpaceCash
Its a waste of space and weight, with an on board compressor and a plug kit (which it will most likely have) just about any tire can be repaired on site.

Still on plan and picked up a few more shares this morning..

I used our on board compressor and plug kit to 'fix' both of our Model X flats on the road here in very, very rural Idaho. But one of the flats had such a large puncture hole in it from the basalt rock they use on the roads here in the winter that I had to use a couple plugs and still needed to stop every few miles to keep adding air just to get to town to get it patched (we live 50 miles from town). We intend to use our Tesla pickup for expedition RV trips........loaded up and off the grid, and we intend to use it for heavy hauling as a work truck too. I have patched and repaired tires 50 miles off the road system in Alaska and all over remote wilderness areas in the Lower 48 states on the many 4 wheel drive vehicles I have owned. And I have had enough tires damaged along the way that needed to be patched or replaced instead - especially in my F350's when hauling construction materials, that there will always be a spare tire with us where we travel.

Did you take your spare tire off your Jeep to save space and weight since it is a 'waste'? The 35" spare and two 5 gallon jerry jugs are still on the back of my Jeep even though I run top of the line 35" Toyos on my Jeep. There will be a spare tire on our Tesla pickup even if I have to fabricate the first Tesla Pickup spare tire bracket myself.

The SP needs to cross two small block MOPAR numbers in the next few days: 340 and 360.

Then we can get into the later big blocks: 383, 426, and 440. I hope it won't take the first two successful quarters of 2020 to get there, but knowing this market it's probable.

Please excuse the ICE Chrysler references, but they hold a special place in my heart because in my youth I've possessed all of them with the exception of a 426 hemi... won many impromptu races with them (and also lost a couple).

The SP needs to cross two small block MOPAR numbers in the next few days: 340 and 360.

Then we can get into the later big blocks: 383, 426, and 440. I hope it won't take the first two successful quarters of 2020 to get there, but knowing this market it's probable.

Please excuse the ICE Chrysler references, but they hold a special place in my heart because in my youth I've possessed all of them with the exception of a 426 hemi... won many impromptu races with them (and also lost a couple).

Not gonna lie, had to google what the heck you were talking about. :oops:

I used our on board compressor and plug kit to 'fix' both of our Model X flats on the road here in very, very rural Idaho. But one of the flats had such a large puncture hole in it from the basalt rock they use on the roads here in the winter that I had to use a couple plugs and still needed to stop every few miles to keep adding air just to get to town to get it patched (we live 50 miles from town). We intend to use our Tesla pickup for expedition RV trips........loaded up and off the grid, and we intend to use it for heavy hauling as a work truck too. I have patched and repaired tires 50 miles off the road system in Alaska and all over remote wilderness areas in the Lower 48 states on the many 4 wheel drive vehicles I have owned. And I have had enough tires damaged along the way that needed to be patched or replaced instead - especially in my F350's when hauling construction materials, that there will always be a spare tire with us where we travel.

Did you take your spare tire off your Jeep to save space and weight since it is a 'waste'? The 35" spare and two 5 gallon jerry jugs are still on the back of my Jeep even though I run top of the line 35" Toyos on my Jeep. There will be a spare tire on our Tesla pickup even if I have to fabricate the first Tesla Pickup spare tire bracket myself.
Love it! You really have to watch out for freshly graveled forest roads, as that gravel is sharp! While cruising the forest roads in NE Oregon, we had 2 flats in the same drive with our Explorer... and only 1 spare! So it was drive 10 minutes, then use the compressor, about 5 times in order to get back to camp. I applaud any efforts to think of ways to help out in those situations with their pickups.

• Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger
Electrek - last evening: Tesla Roadster 2 die cast 1:18 model goes on sale, look at that hatchback - Electrek

Tesla-Roadster-2-die-cast-4-1.jpg

From a long range perspective this is very material, maybe shorter term too...

When I was thirteen years old and my father was getting a new car, he left his entire choice to me. How many fathers do such things now?
Somebody should try to examine the degree to which non-driving children are strongly influencing adult consumer decisions, specifically vehicles. I have very old data, from the 1980's, that showed rapidly increasing child influence on adult buying decisions including houses and vehicles. Were that to be quantifiable today we might better understand why a) so many games and b) how Elon's children might be influencing more than just the jump seats on Model S.

My sense is that not only have children in the home generally become more included in family decisions over recent decades, children have something of a bully pulpit/leadership/decency/credibility re climate change... ie, I’d be surprised if there’s not substantial lobbying at home to take climate change and the real impact of ICE or EV seriously.

Reactions: capster
Love it! You really have to watch out for freshly graveled forest roads, as that gravel is sharp! While cruising the forest roads in NE Oregon, we had 2 flats in the same drive with our Explorer... and only 1 spare! So it was drive 10 minutes, then use the compressor, about 5 times in order to get back to camp. I applaud any efforts to think of ways to help out in those situations with their pickups.
Tire Balls!

In fact, my utility won't allow my Powerwall charging using grid power (only solar can charge PWs).

My theory on why Tesla EVs don't provide house power is the battery warranty. How would they cover 8yrs/100K miles when your using the battery for something else? AND it Osborns Powerwalls.

I think this will be more common in Europe. Over there I see more worry about not having enough batteries for EVs in the next decade (globally) and they are trying to use the existing batteries more efficiently.

BMW & DLR project for bidirectional charging gets green light - electrive.com

Elon responds to David Einhorn's investor letter on twitter:

Elon Musk on Twitter

"To the extent that you have any desire to learn about the amazing progress the people of Tesla are making, I would like to extend an open invitation to meet with me to discuss Tesla and tour our facilities. For their sake, I'm certain your investors would appreciate you getting smart on Tesla"

Asset under management reduced from 15 bil to 5 bil. Ouch. I am actually surprised that he managed to keep the tesla short with that amount of redemption request without getting margin called as the assets he can put up as collateral also gets reduced. Something is not right here.

It seems like it might be worth it to purposefully cause short squeeze in order to harvest Greenlight capital's dire situation.

Mod semi-official:
Sure. The reason "fred bashing" is banned from this thread is that it almost always leads to more and more posts piling on to bash fred/electrek some more. It's like a nuclear chain reaction. Also, the lesser reason I guess, is that the forum has a strict policy of not attacking other members, and he is one (although rarely shows his head any more). So we land hard on any posts we perceive that way. It was a judgement call on my part. Since we're having an open discussion like this, I will undelete your other post, on the condition that no-one will follow up in any way that can be considered fred-bashing. How's that?
--ggr

Thanks for explaining, thats helpful.

So if I understand correctly you deleted my mail anticipating it may lead to Fred bashing like predictive crime prevention.

Irony aside I agree that should not waste time & brain capacity on a topic thats not worth it.

As much as I enjoyed Elon's... ummm... open invitation for a visit at Tesla issued to Mr. Unicorn Einhorn, I can already see the news stories popping up on this, framing Elon as an off-the-rails CEO battling with the Shortz, not able to control his temper and addicted to Twitter burns (as adept at it as he arguably is), or some other bull-etron. It's regrettable, as the news is actually great at the moment, with the Model 3 SR+ having just taycan the title for most efficient EV ever (Seth warning).

I totally get it: it's hard to have a product that is not just the most efficient EV, or the best-selling EV, or the fastest-charging EV, or subjectively the best-looking EV, but just overall the BEST EV by a freaking mile, and not be allowed to brag about it or shove it in detractors' faces. So he does. But Wall St. doesn't like bragging, they only like numbers, and any sniff of conflict turns them off. I hope the SP reacts to facts rather than spin today.

Elon's actually offering to help the guy (and I thought it was last year the shorty-shorts got sent??), I wonder what David has said about Elon and Tesla:

CNBC: David Einhorn calls Elon Musk's Tesla promises 'a lot of horse---t'

Yahoo: David Einhorn: Elon Musk Should Step Down

MarketWatch: Einhorn sees shades of Lehman in Tesla, says Musk knows deception is catching up to him

MarketScreener: David Einhorn's Greenlight says Tesla 'on the brink' of failure

So, yeah, Dave, suck it up!