Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm retired. Downsizing. Gonna build a nice little place out in the woods for my wife and I. Boys are grown. No need for anything big. No need to haul any huge loads. Certainly no need to tow anything. Time for the nice quiet retired life.

Ahhh....

Oh, the hell with it!

It's just better in every way...and cheaper too!

75250852_10220208386069233_931014193828593664_o.jpg

Will SpaceX's know-how on how to actually work with this type of steel, e.g. friction stir welding be of any relevance to the Cybertruck?

Falcon 9 is an aluminum-lithium alloy and friction stir welded. Starship and Super Heavy are electrically welded (likely MIG) stainless.

All the demo that Tesla “didn’t show” was presented in a tug of war with the F-150. Every truck driver is aware of the 150’s capabilities, pulling the 150 like it’s a crying infant away from the Walmart toy section says it all.

View attachment 480511

Did you miss the tug of war between the Cyber and F150? It’s not just about acceleration. It’s like a parent pulling the 150 like it’s an infant.

I'm going to be negative for a moment. Tugs of war are mostly pointless. If you assume the same grip for both tires, AWD, and available power to spin said tires, then the heaver vehicle should always win. (With some variance for traction control and weight distribution)

Reactions: Johann Koeber
Are you a truck person? I drove a Ford F150 from Lowes and it was just terrible. The body on frame design makes it feel like it's falling apart no matter how small the speed bump. Cybertruck being just an exoskeleton is going to feel like you're driving a Bently but in a truck. This video has a guy saying how smooth the ride is. Reviewers will be surprised(again) after the truck is out because it'll drive nothing like the competition.

Great vid, very informative, especially the bit about the tiedowns in the bed... ingenious!

This puppy will just keep on improving before it gets produced and it's already better than anything on the road. I can't wait!

Sorry disagree. Elon is perfectly fine with his stammering and unscripted presentations. I actually prefer this to other polished fake presentations.

The problem and the big failure in this reveal though, is they never even talked and demoed any of the key killer capabilities of this cyber truck. The ability to use electric tools, to pull a large camper effectively and easily, and the amazing range. What is the expected range with a moderate load?

Why this silly focus on unbreakable glass? They did the same thing during X reveal - talk too much about the zombie apocalypse air filter.

Very well said.

Yes, Electroman has it right in most regards.
Especially, Elon’s presentation style is the most authentic I have ever seen anywhere. Among the best of his qualities, he is a super salesman in the best sense of the word.
As much as I sympathize with his bad luck during that presentation, it does open up real opportunity for those investing in the stock.
Nothing has changed. All the positive factors that exist in Tesla right now remain the same. This dip in the stock is the perfect opportunity to accumulate leading into Q4 results.

[

Here is another comment in Yahoo that expresses the same sentiment.

ATTACH=full]480510[/ATTACH]
How is that the same? I never denied the value of performance. And my 3 handles like a dream. I am just saying performance is not essential for many people. He apparently never driven one and just pulling things from behind. And he ignored the tug of war video and the specs and again pulling things out of his behind. Be convinced? Many flatearthers say that too.

Reactions: Lessmog
i was at the event. Front row, dead center. While the glass breaking was unfortunate - does anyone think that it won’t be fixed prior to production? There is a freakin Tesla orbiting the galaxy right now. The impact of this is actually positive since all that media draws attention to Tesla. Think of this glass breaking as free marketing. Anyone even thinking or talking about the mustang E?
LOL. Brilliant.

I put a deposit on one. It’s like buying a call option but benefit of being 100% refundable. Assuming self driving software price improves - price WILL go up considerably. Buying the cybertrck with locked in 7k pricing for autopilot now could create an arbitrage opportunity to buy and then sell car for a premium in 2-3 years. Not that it’s my intention to do it - I’m keeping it. But it makes putting a deposit down for $100 bucks a no brainer, wise investment decision.
Pics from front row. Buy the truck!!

Attachments

• B964833D-FAA9-4C30-9DF5-07D98B37461A.jpeg
    B964833D-FAA9-4C30-9DF5-07D98B37461A.jpeg
    249.1 KB · Views: 80
  • 279ED330-A6A9-4B38-A1A2-4B0CE9394676.jpeg
    279ED330-A6A9-4B38-A1A2-4B0CE9394676.jpeg
    292.2 KB · Views: 81
  • 6B12CDF3-15AD-42EA-ADD9-C15D5CD38EEC.jpeg
    6B12CDF3-15AD-42EA-ADD9-C15D5CD38EEC.jpeg
    424.8 KB · Views: 73
  • 045D37DB-BA4D-4C0E-BF4A-2D517ED496DD.jpeg
    045D37DB-BA4D-4C0E-BF4A-2D517ED496DD.jpeg
    280 KB · Views: 74
So considering quite a few people booked multiple orders due to the site going down and thus canceled the duplicates....looks like about 30% of the 200k we're tracking here are duplicates. That percentage will drop as more orders come in since people wont have been placing duplicate orders by mistake anymore.

So who here though the second the truck came out......that that'd get 150k orders in less than 24 hours???? ( I didn't lol)

Edit: oops meant 48 hours ;)

Last edited:
Edit: If the posted info is correct, malicious attackers (can anyone be imagined?), can just code up a script (possibly just modified from the github one), cruise around in a vehicle with a laptop with an amplified WIFI signal - and compromise any PowerWall installation that they happen to come within range of. In California that would probably amount to something quite quickly - and considering how poorly the grid there handles irregularities, I would expect notable consequences.
Given that they could do something somewhat similar for every garage door opener in existence, it's not something I would lose sleep over.

Reactions: SpaceCash
Elon has always been a slightly clunky presenter, that's part of his charm. But devoting almost the entire presentation to your vehicle being smash proof (here's a video of bullets, here's a guy on a ladder dropping a metal ball) and then casually smashing both windows without much effort is just bizarre.

Why not focus on the utility that this vehicle gives workers? Show a bunch of guys building a movie set and powering a bunch of tools off it. Show it nailing an off road dirt track. Show it driving through a stream. And as I said, show a few of them dragging a Falcon 9 first stage. All of this could have been done with Elon being his attractively awkward self. It was just poorly executed, which is a crying shame for all those that worked so hard on the vehicle.
Because the idea is not to pitch it to bunch of people who need it for work - but people who drive it around instead of a car. The same way people drive SUVs instead of cars.

What they are after is the "tough guy" image. That's why the emphasis on how tough the truck is.

ps : How many of us who have ordered the truck are going to use it for work ? Driving it to an office or restaurant doesn't count.

Reactions: JusRelax and GSP