Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting. This could of course be good for Tesla if every imported EV gets slapped with a tariff, at which point the advantage of the competing imported EVs having the $7,500k federal EV credit is diminished, negated totally if tariff is higher than $7.5k. Needless to say the price advantage over imported non-EVs also grows.
Except when Europe issues countervailing import duties and Tesla can’t sell cars in Europe.

Interesting. This could of course be good for Tesla if every imported EV gets slapped with a tariff, at which point the advantage of the competing imported EVs having the $7,500k federal EV credit is diminished, negated totally if tariff is higher than $7.5k. Needless to say the price advantage over imported non-EVs also grows.
We need GF3 online now and GF4 online ASAP to stop all this trade manipulation of markets in regard to TSLA.

Does anyone have a good estimate or insight into how much Tesla pays Google for access to their navigation system? The lower-right hand corner of every Tesla display shows a 'navigation by Google' watermark.

Curious to know how much Tesla is paying for that map data, and if there are plans to roll their own navigation system in the future?

It doesn't say "navigation by Google". In fact Tesla doesn't use Google for navigation, they use their own maps and routing engine.

However they do use Google to display a map/satellite background. We have no idea how much they pay for the map/sattelite display...

Look, he admitted it:

TeslaCharts

@TESLAcharts

Replying to
@LLinWood
Thanks you kind sir, but my tweeting contract with the Koch Brothers is very lucrative, and does not expire until $TSLAQ.

TeslaCharts Koch Brothers.png

Elon's comment in the trial today about there being "not much" of a Tesla PR team is notable not only because it's a very public slam against a group of his own employees, but also because pathetic TSLAQ--desperately trying to find an "Aha! Busted! Now you're going to JAIL!" moment--has been going bonkers over the statement, with the usual lame efforts to alert the SEC, citing Tesla's financials which they claim show multimillion dollar amounts for marketing and promotion etc, hardly a "not much" story, aha! Thing is, PR is not the same as marketing and promotion, but don't waste your time explaining that to TSLAQ.

Having accumulated countless exasperating experiences dealing with various people within Tesla's awful PR organization, I can tell you, Elon's right about Tesla PR being "not much" to write home about. Tesla's "Global Communications" team, as it calls itself, is historically weak, stupidly dysfunctional, unreliable, hard to reach, and useless with many journalists even at the biggest news outlets. And it's pretty powerless against Elon, and I'd argue afraid to stand up to Elon for fear of firing, something which seems to happen routinely. I think it's pretty clear Elon doesn't value and has never trusted PR flacks. Heck, Tesla had a senior director of Comms, Dave Arnold, but he left in May after running the team for less than a year (he's now at Facebook along with the person who previously ran Tesla's Comms team but left during 420-gate), and he got replaced by Keely Sulprizio who by all reports (from news reporters I've been in touch with, as well as Tesla insiders) only lasted a few months heading Comms before she too got moved out. My understanding is another former PR underling is now in charge of Comms, which would mean the company's on its third acting head of Comms in 2019 alone.

I would argue Elon likes it that way. I can't help but be reminded of the current occupant of the Oval Office in that regard: in terms of communications, Elon routinely goes rogue; he uses Twitter to engage directly with the public and the media when he wants to (even when he should know better). By contrast, most Fortune 500 companies' Comms teams are a lot more powerful and organized, and are able to exert more control over their executives and the messaging the company puts out to the world.

This is a great observation, tinm. However, after a great deal of thought and observation around Elon’s Twitter account, I’ve ultimately concluded it does more good for Shareholders than bad, but it certainly does some bad.

I’m sure this has been said before, but in being accessible to the masses, there’s been some great ideas go from Tweet to implementation in what seems like the blink of a corporate eye. I think this provides Tesla with an edge amongst fans and customers who feel a deeper connection to the person at the top.

Hell, he even comments on the SP, which, while can be dangerous at times certainly resonates with a segment of Shareholders.

I suppose one simply needs to make peace with how Elon runs his companies, which took me a while to do, despite the great things they produce.

While interesting, this defamation case is getting an awful lot of attention on the Tesla Investor Thread and I'm not fully clear why.

As I see it, it only really impacts the stock if a) any penalty is so large is requires Elon to sell some of his TSLA stock, b) the case is sufficiently damaging to Elon's personal reputation that he has to stand down from his position as CEO.

Neither of these are even tail-risk possibilities are they?

While interesting, this defamation case is getting an awful lot of attention on the Tesla Investor Thread and I'm not fully clear why.

As I see it, it only really impacts the stock if a) any penalty is so large is requires Elon to sell some of his TSLA stock, b) the case is sufficiently damaging to Elon's personal reputation that he has to stand down from his position as CEO.

What is puzzling to me is that the Thai rescue project was carried out by SpaceX and never had anything to do with Tesla.

I wish I didn't have to scroll past dozens of posts about the court case, but I guess the forum moderators must think it's an ok subject

It doesn't say "navigation by Google". In fact Tesla doesn't use Google for navigation, they use their own maps and routing engine.

However they do use Google to display a map/satellite background. We have no idea how much they pay for the map/sattelite display...
The cost of embedding Google Maps is as follows:
Maps Embed API Usage and Billing | Google Developers

It's not very exciting as Google basically lets anyone do it and most people who only generate a small volume from say a phone app will pay nothing. Google doesn't have any financial interest in charging a lot for Maps.

However Google has never licensed the actual navigation engine or data, which is the real value of Google Maps. This is why Tesla uses Mapbox for that.

New thread:
Unsworth Vs Musk deformation trial

Just to explain the legal relevance: for the jury to find Elon's tweet defamatory, it must have been presented as a fact, with the knowledge that it was (likely) false - not as opinion.

This is why Unsworth's lawyer was trying to disrupt Elon's testimony that neither Unsworth nor Elon meant those insults literally. If it wasn't literal, it cannot be defamatory.

Unsworth's lawyer will now have to convince the jury that Unsworth's insult was not literal, while Elon's was.

Elon's testimony is going pretty well so far, IMHO.

The problem is, all of Elon's subsequent tweets and emails to Buzzfeed negates his claim that it was not said in literal sense.

Firstly, Unsworth has withdrawn his claims about the Buzzfeed emails a couple of weeks ago, because that part of his case collapsed: evidence was found that Unsworth's lawyer effectively conspired with the Buzzfeed journalist:
  • The Buzzfeed journalist shared Elon's confidential emails with Unsworth's lawyer, in violation of Buzzfeed policy and basic journalistic ethics,
  • Unsworth's lawyer encouraged the Buzzfeed journalist to publish Elon's inflammatory emails, effectively creating the very "injury" which he later sued about - which thus under California law cannot be defamatory,
  • Buzzfeed modified their ethics guide about "off the record" confidentiality after Elon complained, and backdated the modifications, to make it appear as if the publishing the emails was not a violation of Buzzfeed's own policy (it was).
So the lawsuit's claims and damages are solely about those initial tweets, they do not cover the Buzzfeed emails.

Secondly, the filings make it pretty clear that Elon's opinion about Unsworth evolved with time: what started out as nasty non-literal insults over Twitter turned into a conviction that Unsworth is a douchebag and potential criminal - but Elon didn't publish his suspicion, Buzzfeed and Unsworth's lawyer did.

So there's no contradiction IMO.

Remember that Elon was fed false information from Unswroth’s lawyer, which the judge has allowed Elon to use as evidence against the plaintiff.

I suspect Unsworth and his lawyer is going to deny this, but the other important part is that while the emails will be shown the jury as "character evidence", they are not part of the claims anymore.

If I understand the legal situation correctly (which I might not!), pretty much the only way I can see Unsworth win is if the jury finds that Elon lied in his testimony that the first tweets were not literal. This is also why Elon went to testify in person, I suspect.

Which outcome is always a tail risk with jury trials, especially since the emails are inflammatory - which is why most such lawsuits either get dropped or settled.

Last edited:
Elon's comment in the trial today about there being "not much" of a Tesla PR team is notable not only because it's a very public slam against a group of his own employees, but also because pathetic TSLAQ--desperately trying to find an "Aha! Busted! Now you're going to JAIL!" moment--has been going bonkers over the statement, with the usual lame efforts to alert the SEC, citing Tesla's financials which they claim show multimillion dollar amounts for marketing and promotion etc, hardly a "not much" story, aha! Thing is, PR is not the same as marketing and promotion, but don't waste your time explaining that to TSLAQ.

Correct, the overwhelming majority of Tesla's marketing expenses are related to the Tesla Referral Program - which not a "PR team".

The cost of embedding Google Maps is as follows:
Maps Embed API Usage and Billing | Google Developers

It's not very exciting as Google basically lets anyone do it and most people who only generate a small volume from say a phone app will pay nothing. Google doesn't have any financial interest in charging a lot for Maps.

However Google has never licensed the actual navigation engine or data, which is the real value of Google Maps. This is why Tesla uses Mapbox for that.
Google Maps usage can get expensive quickly though once you go beyond being small. Supercharge.info once used to get by with basically $0 costs to use it until Google changed their pricing structure and suddenly it was approaching $1000/month in fees. That's why the default page is no longer the map page, for example.

That said I'm sure Tesla has some sort of non-standard arrangement since they would be using it at a very large scale in a specific way (and may have very well negotiated a long term contract well in advance of more recent pricing changes), so it might not cost as much as you'd expect but it still won't be cheap.