Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A question for you investment experts that know all about this stuff... (and related to Tesla honest!)
Because I see tesla as pretty much unbeatable, I also made a few investments in a few tangential stocks which I think the growth in EVs and batteries would generate linked growth in. Two of them have done badly and I just *do not understand why*.

Here they are:
Sociedad Quimica Y Minera De Chile:Stock ticker: SQM
(Lithium producer... seriously surely another money license?)

The Global X Funds Lithium & battery tech ETF. (stock ticker: LIT)
This is getting silly...how can this be DOWN so much? surely everyone is investing in batteries and lithium?

Am I just super-unlucky and picking the worst stock in every category. Normally I'd sell Kuka as I am so down but part of me thinks Tesla, or somebody like Tesla will just buy them at some point. Market cap 1.5billion...

I can provide a bit of info as far as SQM and other lithium mining companies like Lithium Americas (LAC) but this is a large topic and I can only comment at a summary level. Over a year ago Morgan Stanley came out with a report/thesis that the growth of lithium cathode materials supply would exceed the growth of demand in the short term and this would lead to price reductions. That single disputed 'report' dropped the SP of most or all of the existing big lithium producers as well as the many juniors working to bring new supplies online.
Since then supplies have not increased greatly but LI prices have stayed level, so these companies have not yet seen their SP return to the level of 1 - 2 years ago when those of us who 'knew' Li should soon be in greater demand bought our shares. It still seems likely lithium supplies will not keep pace with demand in the coming years, but the SP of the companies will not go up greatly if new Li sources come online quickly enough to keep prices from rising due to tight supplies.
Joe Lowry a respected Li mining industry analyst covers all this in great detail, both in written commentary and in regular podcasts.
He remains very bullish on companies in the Li supply chain.

I generally find that Google's TSLA page has mostly negative articles. I'm not sure if that's on purpose, or if they sort by trending articles.

Is there any other kind of TSLA article? :confused:

Maybe I missed it.;)

When TSLA hit's around $600, it will all be about how over-valued it is. When it passes $1000, every article will be glowing. The company no one thought could do it. The company that arose from the brink of bankruptcy multiple times, the company with the visionary leader demonstrating persistence, grit and the abilty to shrug off the doubters and naysayers - the American wonder company. :p

While I wouldn't go so far as to say that lithium isn't an issue for scaleup rates, I do agree that nickel sulfide is probably a more critical factor. That said, I don't expect the focus to be on nickel sulfide deposits, like in Ontario / Quebec. I fully expect it to be on HPAL-processed limonitic laterites. The former aren't abundant enough and are geographically concentrated in specific areas. Limonitic nickel laterites can be found abundantly around the world (though most commonly in lower-latitude areas) and are a very cheap raw material (it's always been processing them economically that's been the challenge).

Lithium limitations are surely a solid #2 for scaleup limitations, however. Rare earths would also be up there for the automotive side (GF1 will obviously be a major customer of Mountain Pass, at the very least!). Battery-grade graphite might be, but if it would be, Tesla might just choose to go with synthetic graphite / amorphous carbon / etc anodes. Cobalt reductions (and potential elimination) will eventually bring it to the point where you're getting all your cobalt needs just from nickel production (limonitic nickel laterites are usually particularly cobalt-rich). Nothing else is used in great enough quantity relative to how abundantly it's already used by other industries to pose raw feedstock limitations (not sure whether Tesla actually makes all of the components of the electrolytes themselves - I really doubt that at present - but the raw feedstocks used to do so are just commodity petrochemical compounds, hydrofluoric acid, simple boron and phosphorus compounds, etc, all of which are abundant in industrial usage compared to Tesla's needs). Tesla's needs are also relatively insignificant to copper and esp. alumium markets.
You seem like an expert in mining. Do you think you could explain why it would be prudent for Tesla to enter the mining business? It seems like a high-capex/long lead time business to enter in which Tesla has no advantage other than controlling voracious demand.

• Helpful
Reactions: capster
Stock going up today due to Elon’s demonstration with the CyberTruck mowing down street signs and not so much of a scratch.

My wife’s eyes lit up big time. She can now deliberately drive the vehicle into brick walls and I will never know it:)

I think others are waking up the indestructible CyberTruck.

Go Elon:)

Indestrucktable!

Last edited:
I can provide a bit of info as far as SQM and other lithium mining companies like Lithium Americas (LAC) but this is a large topic and I can only comment at a summary level. Over a year ago Morgan Stanley came out with a report/thesis that the growth of lithium cathode materials supply would exceed the growth of demand in the short term and this would lead to price reductions. That single disputed 'report' dropped the SP of most or all of the existing big lithium producers as well as the many juniors working to bring new supplies online.
Since then supplies have not increased greatly but LI prices have stayed level, so these companies have not yet seen their SP return to the level of 1 - 2 years ago when those of us who 'knew' Li should soon be in greater demand bought our shares. It still seems likely lithium supplies will not keep pace with demand in the coming years, but the SP of the companies will not go up greatly if new Li sources come online quickly enough to keep prices from rising due to tight supplies.
Joe Lowry a respected Li mining industry analyst covers all this in great detail, both in written commentary and in regular podcasts.
He remains very bullish on companies in the Li supply chain.

Be extremely careful where you put your hard earn money for investment, Lithium is commodity , one has to catch supply demand cycle exactly at right time to make money in this sector, Scary thing is , while Tesla doing extremely good job with their roadmap to where they want to be in 3-5 years, while other Automakers are confused when comes to EV. So based on success of Tesla , Lithium industry could easily over invest and could easily go from constrained to glut in no time.