Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hold! Hold! Hold door! Holdoor! Holdor! Hodor!

HODOR.jpg

Tis the season! Today is a good day.

View attachment 486807
Not sure this has been posted before, but... wow, it's the first time I see that parking lot completely full!

I mean, the lengths Elon Musk would go to trick us all, with his cardboard shells of cars... and since it's in China, the SEC can't do anything about it! Oh, the fwaud! sarcasm!

Source:
Twitter

I'm getting about 15 rows of 34 cars each in that pic. That's about 500 cars in that parking lot. That'd be a nice way to get shipments and deliveries under way in China.

You have to be aware of context. Lutz wasn't involved with the Bolt development, and had pushed the development of the Volt despite GM recalling all their EV1's (funny how Tesla used that same situation to push for BEV's). It's an in-house political thing, to which he deserved credit for pushing for the plug-in hybrid at all.

That he would bash on Tesla after leaving GM was a case of jealousy and possible paid speaking engagements.
Good post. The Volt concept first appeared at the Detroit Auto Show in January 2007. That was very early days, six months after Tesla founder/CEO Martin Eberhard revealed the Roadster prototype. Nobody took Tesla seriously then, but Bob Lutz was paying attention.

A plug-in hybrid was the only way to build a mainstream EV at that time, even so the idea was pretty radical. A few hobbyists had modified their Priuses (Prii?) to run on wall plug power for short distances, but Toyota actively opposed them. The original Volt concept was badass:
copy-of-x07cc_ch010.jpg

Specs were 50 miles on electricity then 50 mpg for extended trips. All for $30k. Stylish, economical and an 80-90% reduction in gasoline consumption. After a gauntlet of wind tunnels and bean counters it looked like this:

DCA_06_2012_Chevy_Volt_4035.JPG

... only went 35 miles on electricity and cost $40k. It was still ground-breaking, but never really caught on. Now it's history.

I'm getting about 15 rows of 34 cars each in that pic. That's about 500 cars in that parking lot. That'd be a nice way to get shipments and deliveries under way in China.

And they have a bunch more in the west side parking lot, close to the main entrance that takes forever to get finished (can you tell I'm obsessing over the weekly drone shots?)

And weren't there some cars that have already been transported via carrier to delivery centers?

View attachment 486807
Not sure this has been posted before, but... wow, it's the first time I see that parking lot completely full!

I mean, the lengths Elon Musk would go to trick us all, with his cardboard shells of cars... and since it's in China, the SEC can't do anything about it! Oh, the fwaud! sarcasm!

Source:
Twitter
Everytime I look at this, I thought I went color blind.