Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The battery factory’s initial output will be 10 GWh. Capex to get to this initial output is “less than 100s of millions”, which is financial speak for somewhere above $100m.

I'm wondering whether this is cell factory output or a battery pack factory with external cell supply (LG Chem)?

10 GWh/year output is roughly 3,500 SR+ packs/week at 54 kWh, which is close to the GF3 Phase 1 nominal output of 3,000/week.

Reactions: Dig deeper
Possibly important.
No its VERY important !

There have been virtually NO model 3 inventory in the US for the past few months.
Tesla has just listed 87 units as being available.
Only 2 have less than 100 miles on them.
They are selling off the DEMO's !

I saw some fresh ones in Belgium yesterday, 7, I think, just one there still this morning.

• Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger
Here's Morten's revelations...

Morten Grove on Twitter

Morten Grove on Twitter

upload_2019-12-11_12-3-15.png

Morten is asking for regulatory trouble by openly stating that he's getting material info from insiders and then selling a pre-public release of said info :Þ
If you are basing that statement off of those two Tweets:
I'd say reporting that an acquaintance spotted a Y in Europe at a service center and sales expansion aligning with GF4 construction and regions the 3 is expanding to is lower on the scale of insider info than hinting that Tesla is teaming up with a US OEM for truck drivetrains.

Wanted to dump some info that came from a research note yesterday. I tried to clearly lay out what came directly from Tesla and what was inferred by Deutsche Bank.

Deutsche Bank hosted Martin Viecha (TSLA Head of Investor Relations) in Frankfurt last week for investor meetings. Here are some of the highlights and new details I haven’t read before.

Shanghai Gigafactory and China:

The Shanghai factory will be a template for future Gigafactories. Expect the Berlin Gigafactory to look similar. The factory was designed with simplicity in mind. They note the car does a single loop around the factory and is then finished, which checks out with this post from Fact Checking: Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the 2019 Investors' Roundtable

When asked about manufacturing efficiencies in China, Tesla cited a third party teardown analysis which shows at least a 20% lower cost of production. Note: I’m unsure if this report is specific to Tesla or the general auto industry, it’s unclear. Tesla did not disclose its own savings.

The battery factory’s initial output will be 10 GWh. Capex to get to this initial output is “less than 100s of millions”, which is financial speak for somewhere above $100m.

The China subsidy policy will bring the Model 3 price down from 328k RMB to 299k RMB including VAT.

Tesla plans to build 100 supercharger stations per quarter in China. This can possibly be accelerated to 150-200.

Berlin Gigafactory:

Tesla still expects construction to begin around January 2020. Vehicle production from the Berlin Gigafactory is expected to begin in 2021 or a max two years from the start of construction.

Capex for GF4 is indicated to be slightly higher than GF3.

Model Y:

Since Tesla wants to be at volume production for Model Y next summer, Deutsche Bank believes Tesla will start ramping initial production of the car in Fremont as soon as a few months from now.

Manufacturing costs for Model Y are about the same as the Model 3, yet ASPs are ~$4k higher for CUVs, suggesting higher margins.

Other tidbits:

There was a 27% take rate for FSD at $6k. This must be data from before the recent price hike to $7k.

Today, less than 5% of Model 3 sales are from reservation holders.

Tesla did not provide an update to its battery cost curve. However, Deutsche Bank thinks it’s safe to assume that they are below $100/kwh at this stage.

Tesla expects Model S range to climb roughly 15% per year.

Martin Viecha also attended Deutsche Bank's AutoTech Conference today in San Francisco. There might be another report later this week/next week with more highlights from that. Though I expect him to regurgitate much of what was said here.

model Y manufacturing cost roughly same as 3?