Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A lot of analysts’ advice seemed to be:

Wait and see...

...the price keep going up.

Indeed. Their problem is that most of them have been trained to evaluate long established companies in the auto industry. They're focused on the standard financial metrics as they would apply to a company's recently finished quarter and projections for the following quarter. Those are the figures they must show their bosses in order to justify their ratings for a stock and its price target. Anticipating the future growth potential of an innovative young company that is totally disrupting both the auto and energy industries is beyond most of their pay grades. :rolleyes:

It's pretty crazy to have 60% of your liquid assets in far out of the money call options unless it's just a really small account and you are young and don't really need it. To be clear, I am not in that position at all. TSLA only comprises a bit over a third of my accounts and TSLA options a lot less than that.

Options and stocks are two completely different beasts, especially options with strike prices so far above the current share prices. But personal situations vary so widely that I can't give you any meaningful guidance.

Completely agree. This is a major dilemma I have and its been a wild ride. Cant focus on work because I don't know what to do with these options. (Good problem to have I suppose). Based on my calculations I lose 15K every couple of weeks due to time decay. Oh well I will post when I close my position to present a real rags to riches story or the opposite lol

Completely agree. This is a major dilemma I have and its been a wild ride. Cant focus on work because I don't know what to do with these options. (Good problem to have I suppose). Based on my calculations I lose 15K every couple of weeks due to time decay. Oh well I will post when I close my position to present a real rags to riches story or the opposite lol

The theta on those is only .07 (7 * 14 = 68 per contract every two weeks) - are you saying you have 200 contracts? :eek:

I appreciate the occasional posts with details of (call) options bought. I have a feeling that I see fewer posts from people with details of how they get out of these options (exercise, sell, worthless expiration...). Maybe this is just because the number of call contracts owned by TMC posters is increasing, but I think I and others could learn something from posts with details of how people get out of their (call) options.

Thanks in advance.

Answering that question is difficult as it depends on taxable vs non taxable account that holds the contracts. personally, I only keep them in retirement accounts so that no tax is due. If in a taxable account it depends on your tax bracket/can you convert to shares with no tax consequence...etc/etc.

EDIT: Back in 2013 I had several large positions in calls in a taxable account and paid a hefty sum as most were ST and the proceeds pushed me into another tax bracket....It was a 'first world problem' but it taught me a lesson.

Why do some people buy very low strikes?
They are not getting any leverage for their money, but get a ton of risk compared to shares.
See the top and bottom.

These are 1/22s that still have 2 years to run.
View attachment 492952

"They are not getting any leverage for their money"

They are getting leverage, even at those low strikes' and pay little in the way of premium for it. For stocks that don't pay any dividends, this sort of play is not a terrible idea.

Hi StealthP3D.
I hold many Jan. 2021 $690 calls. I am lost as to what to do about them because they grew to 60% of my total portfolio and I am not sure what the hell to do at this point. I don't like options that are so out of the money with 1 year expire to be 60% of my portfolio. At the same time it hurts me to even think about selling them because I am waiting on SP 500 inclusion and I think TSLA will reach 550-700 a share in 2020. Whats your philosophy regarding these particular options? I am glad to hear that someone else is in this position.
How can you invest in options not knowing what to do with them? See this a lot when tesla does a run, inexperienced option traders asking advise on what to do next. Typically ends bad. Your brokerage should have asked your experience in option trading before granting you option rights.

How can you invest in options not knowing what to do with them? See this a lot when tesla does a run, inexperienced option traders asking advise on what to do next. Typically ends bad. Your brokerage should have asked your experience in option trading before granting you option rights.

“Don’t try this until you are experienced”?

How bad can it really end tho. Either they end up worthless, you sell early and end up in a tax conundrum, or you hold until they qualify for long term capital gains

How bad can it really end tho. Either they end up worthless, you sell early and end up in a tax conundrum, or you hold until they qualify for long term capital gains
What are the chances that these options go ITM? SP500 inclusion should have a huge effect. Look at Twitter 60%+ just by inclusion. What I am really trying to figure out is what is the chance TSLA closes 2020 at 800?

@chikenlittle, I am not sure whose question you are answering.

• Helpful
Reactions: Artful Dodger
What are the chances that these options go ITM? SP500 inclusion should have a huge effect. Look at Twitter 60%+ just by inclusion. What I am really trying to figure out is what is the chance TSLA closes 2020 at 800?

@chikenlittle, I am not sure whose question you are answering.

Mine cross into LT in September. I'm just sleeping on it till then and will revaluate. I went into it ok to loose it all. Now that it's a bit more than I put in incant claim to not checking the SP way too often but whatever.

Seeking fAilure has another article hitting the newsfeeds.

"Tesla's Q1 and Q2 2020 will be disastrous"

I won't give them the click but the first part of the story praises Elon for orchestrating the short burn of the decade perfectly. Saying that Q4 will likely be a record quarter...

:rolleyes:

And if Q1/2 2020 are not a disaster, Q3/4 2020 will definitely be! Or Q1/2 2021. Or Q3/4 2021...