Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I told you I'm a Pontiac guy, so I'm happy now!
455HO.jpg

This is my 1971 455 High Output that I owned back in the 80's. (and my wife, of course)
transam5half.jpg

Shorty-shorts!!

I stepped away from the ticker to yell at some people on Slate and the stock went up 2 bucks.

This board is host to both serious contributors and dancing clowns. We all get to decide where we fit best.
The problem is that not everyone knows their place in that gradient. ;) I sure do. (I think :confused: )

Last edited:
Even though Sony might not be serious in introducing a car, perhaps they should be. Panasonic and LG would probably both be successful in manufacturing electric cars in a more vertically integrated fashion than most OEMs.

I agree. Japanese companies have experience teaming. I think the savior of the Japanese car industry will be a consortium of a battery company, an entertainment company, and a real time programming software company, if they have one.

The recent Nissan fiasco may help open a few eyes to the need for new thinking.

• Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger
I should listen to my wife and diversify a bit. Our Tesla position is ridiculously large at this point.

I think Tesla is now at a fair price, but not a particularly good price for long-term appreciation. I like to buy Tesla when the market is hating on the stock.

Yeah, I'm about 50% cash + 50% TSLA now. How's that for diversification? ;)

In the short term, I think TSLA has at least another $100 bux to run. Many of the big bears have said so (eg: AJ's '1st to 500, then to 250').

I think the immediate SP tgt is Elon's compensation package trigger for his first tranche at about $555/sh. After all his hard work and personal sacrafice, there's no CEO more deserving of his payday, while shareholders will benefit during the run up.

Like Elon, I don't plan to sell any shares at $555. Tesla's growth is still accellerating, and we're entering the steep part of the 'S' curve. Profits are being managed to enable max. growth, FCF is king. Really there's nothing I see about the way they're managing the growth that I disagree with. So imma hodling.

Compared to Tesla's total addressable market, owning BRK.A right now is like having a rental mgmnt co. on the Jersey shore... :p

Cheers!

One of shorties favorite things to do is to dispel, or provide a counter to any claimed Tesla moat. One of these being the charging network. I don't recall which charging network it was, but a shorty tweeted the charging network announcement and commented, "so much for the Tesla charging network moat".

However, I was thinking about this. If the other manufacturers were to ever truly provide real competition to Tesla, and sell EVs in the 100s of thousands per year, think of how overwhelmed these small networks will be. I mean, Tesla has less than a million cars on the road in the U.S. and there were long wait times for a charging stall during the holidays - and Tesla has 751 supercharger stations in the U.S. So, if 3 or 4 manufacturers combined to sell as many EVs as Tesla - they will of course be depending on these few charging stations (suppose to be 800 by end of 2021), the wait times to charge will be horrible. By the end of 2021, Tesla will probably have 1500 stations - and possibly by then, have access to the other networks as well (ie, a CCS adapter or charge port). This further exacerbate the problem. Given the current situation with charging stations, Tesla will ALWAYS have a huge advantage. You'd only know that if you owned and drove a Tesla - which is something Speigel, Einhorn, Chanos, etc would have been VERY smart to have done many years ago - they'd have saved themselves a TON of money.

Just as an FYI - Tesla seems to have taken their foot off the gas from the torrid supercharger build-out pace they set in 2019. The rate of construction starts has slowed to a crawl in the last month or so. They do this occasionally, but I really hope it is a temporary thing and they get back to business very soon. Even if Tesla were to start producing a CCS adapter, the more proprietary chargers they build, the easier it is for Tesla owner's to access a charger. This is a HUGE advantage for Tesla and I hope they accelerate the increase of the already huge lead.

I think the announcement that EVGo is going to add Tesla cables to it's charging stations is a good indicator of where that is going. I really hope Tesla will continue adding SC stations and I believe they will. But this will certainly add options.

I think the big question will be if Tesla will start adding those locations to its in-car displays. Sure we can pull up PlugShare as needed but considering they don't even show destination chargers this seems like an area Tesla will have to improve on as we start getting to millions of cars on the road. For the less technical they just want to know where they can charge right now. Also something like vehicle-to-vehicle charging for when grandma forgets to charge. Cybertruck with a mobile charger plugged in would be an interesting service vehicle but of course faster charging would be better.

I have to ask any old TMC members (old on TMC, not necessarily of age): is this what 2013 felt like? I'm trying to get work done... it's so damn hard to focus on anything other than the unmentionable!
*Although I'm not one of the old-timers you refer to, I'm enjoying a revisit back to that time from @Bgarret, who happened to time his call options quite well;

"Got options approval and placed my first options trades on the morning of May 8, 2013 ..... Bought:

10 June 22 65's
10 June 22 70's
20 June 22 75's

This is what I paid for them:

$1,667.64 $2,385.28 $2,417.64

About $6,500 invested.

Boarded a plane from Phoenix to Portland, Oregon, with a stopover in Salt Lake City. Tesla announced earnings as we were taxiing down the runway, me hitting refresh like a madman. Saw the results, and by the time I landed in Portland, knew the options had paid off well. Called up Tesla in Portland for a test drive. Joined TMC on May 10th, 2013. Sold the 40 contracts off over the next 8 days for $54,400."

He fully admits that he (later on) had his share of losing trades as well, however this one made up for them quite nicely.

2017Q1 results

Last edited:
This board is host to both serious contributors and dancing clowns. We all get to decide where we fit best.

Some of us are both. :)

Consumer Reports still seeming Anti-Tesla with most recent ads - pushing Chevy Bolt and not mentioning Tesla in even the top 8 “Best Cars”. Sad.
View attachment 497544View attachment 497545

They are doing their readers a strong disservice.

I'm starting to get worried about the $470 covered call I sold for this Friday. Figured a 6% weekly gain ($443 -> $470) was safe.

Pretty remarkable that just a week ago this stock was at $405.

Remarkable indeed. I am being very cautious with selling covered calls in this rally. Instead, I bought some of those $470 calls on Friday to open up a "free" bull call spread. I think this thing has legs to go up to $500 into the ER. Not an advice.

After the walk down in the afternoon I opened a debit spread and bought $470 calls at a nice discount banking on a pop next week. Not expecting them to end up ITM but it sure would be nice.