Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Barron's - 10 minutes ago: Tesla Stock Is Shooting Out the Lights. Why That’s Not as Crazy as It Looks.

Excerpts:

Growth-stock managers “afraid of career risk” may be helping drive the continued gains in Tesla shares, according to a former Wall Street analyst who has correctly predicted the stock’s big gains...

"Almost overnight, investors have realized just how valuable Tesla's first-mover advantage is in electric vehicles," Black wrote in a series of tweets earlier today. "Ever efficient, the market suddenly understood how extensive the lead Tesla has in battery tech, brand uniqueness, social media presence and world of mouth advertising from its huge satisfied base of customers to justify its $140 billion market valuation.

"To argue that legacy OEMS (car companies) will 'just catch up' when they launch their own EVs now seems terribly naive, given battery ranges half of Tesla, and passive orgo cultures that devote their efforts to selling gas-powered combustion engines through TV & print ads and dealer promotions."

I was surprised this GIF didn't already exist, so I made one for you all to express how today feels.

tsla_rollercoaster.gif

BTW, for all those investors here that are looking to do something new like buying/selling options, go slow at first while you learn. I know this gets said a lot in these forums, but it really can't be said enough. Maybe it's just me, but whenever I do something new with regard to investing, more often than not, I am telling myself, gee, I wish I had known that before! It's complicated out there, so don't risk too much until you've been burned a few times to learn those lessons...
110% good advice. I started playing with options with the expectation that I would lose everything, and I did at first. Was down to 1/4th of my initial investment before it turned around.

@Unknown's question had me searching for an answer to the question if once you sold shares in the current tax year that resulted in a substantial gain (say a few hundred thousand +) would IRS expect you to make payments in the remaining quarters of that year based on the likely cap gain tax you will have to pay come the following April? If you knew at date of sale that at your Cap Gains tax rate (15 or 20%) your Cap Gain tax due would be $50K, would they penalize you if you did not send them one or more quarterly payments of $12,500? I can imagine they might. But since you don't really know what other investment gains or losses you might incur after the highly profitable sale, I could also see them not wanting to get into the potential complexity of requiring estimated taxes for capital gains. Anyone know if IRS does expect estimated payments for cap gains?

Not going to answer this exact question (cause I’m not sure) but it reminds me of a MAJORLY HELPFUL YET LITTLE-KNOWN TAX TIP that I’d forgotten about but might come in handy for some of you this year.

if you make a s-ton of money in Q1 selling stock, but don’t pay estimated taxes for it in Q1 or Q2 or Q3, the IRS can charge you penalties and interest. (Unless you withhold at least as much as you did last year or a few other things mentioned a few pages ago in this thread.)

if you see that happening, and already have the cash to live on you for the rest of the year, you can have your employer put ALL of your paycheck into taxes for the last week/month/quarter of the year. As long as your withholdings as an employee match your total taxes for the year, the IRS doesn’t care if most of the withholding occurred at the end of the year. So no penalties/interest.

My accountant cousin told me about this many years ago and it saved me a chunk of change. I’m suspect a few of you might want to employ it in 2020...

Has anyone a link to, or name of the show, for Ron Baron’s appearance on CNBC? I’m trying to paw through CNBC.com for the specific title - I don’t stream the broadcast.
"Ron Baron: Tesla could hit $1 trillion in revenue in 10 years" 2:30 min

"Watch CNBC's full interview with billionaire investor Ron Baron" 36:00 min

then
Toyota tanks
and
GM tanks
and
Ford tanks

This reminds me, wouldn't a Tesla EV tank be cool and rather profitable? For homeland defense and international peace purposes, of course:

tesla-cybertruck-as-a-tank-photoshopped-cannon.jpg

There's quite a few interesting designs of armament that could make good use of a large reservoir of electricity as well.

A kinetic magnetic coil gun with supercaps, with stealth 120 mm rounds?

Last edited:
Sold off the last of my calls this morning at profits ranging from 200% to 1000%. I don't have the stomach to hang on to them any longer. Still have my long shares and trading shares to play with if needed. I don't need the cash and don't have any obvious places to invest proceeds so it's not likely I'm going to sell any.

Edit, and you are welcome in advance for the price going up to 1k now. ;)

the market suddenly understood how extensive the lead Tesla has in battery tech, brand uniqueness, social media presence and world of mouth advertising from its huge satisfied base of customers to justify its $140 billion market valuation.

The fact that they couldn't recognize this until now tells me they are not the sharpest tools in the shed and their analysis is worthless.