Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, if I may ask for the grossly uninformed like myself, lol.

Will the street still base a "miss" or "beat for Q1 off of projections from last quarter's earnings letter, or will they take into account the fact that basically the entire globe went on economic shutdown due to a little germ that will go nameless? Seems like the shorts and naysayers would chomp at the bit to make stupid allegations like screaming that demand is down or that the factories can't produce, etc.

Just wanting to know what to expect...although I am pretty sure I know how the media will run with ANY numbers Tesla may release.

Dan

• Funny
Reactions: Krugerrand
*Walter Bloomberg on Twitter
*Walter Bloomberg on Twitter

Cars still in the employee lot at Fremont. Employees seen going to work. Looks like they're still operational.

I assume they're filing an emergency injunction against the closure.

I mean they aren't going to close down and lay off 10,000 people because of a tweet.

The Alameda county needs to figure out if they are exempt or not and then discuss with Tesla the plan. Until then Tesla should completely act as business as usual.

Reuters:

UPDATE 1-Tesla California factory operating normally despite county coronavirus lockdown order -witnesses

By Nathan Frandino and Shannon Stapleton
FREMONT, Calif., March 18 (Reuters) - Tesla Inc's <TSLA.O>
U.S. vehicle factory in California on Wednesday appeared to
operate normally despite an order by the county's sheriff's
office to comply with a three-week lockdown in the San Francisco
Bay Area to rein in the spread of coronavirus.
Thousands of cars were visible on the factory's employee
parking lot and employees were going to work, Reuters witnesses
saw.
Several 18-wheeler container trucks were also seen pulling
onto the factory grounds, according to the witnesses.
Alameda County, where the Fremont factory is based, is one
of six covered by a "shelter in place" order from regional
authorities that limits activity, travel and business functions
to only the most essential, and advises people to stay home
except for the most crucial reasons.
The county's sheriff's office on Tuesday afternoon said
Tesla is not considered an essential business under that order
and cannot continue to operate its factory normally.
Tesla can only maintain minimum basic operations under the
order, the sheriff's office said. Under the county's order,
those include maintaining the value of inventory, ensuring
security and processing payroll and employee benefits.
The sheriff's office did not respond to a request for
comment on Wednesday about the factory appearing to remain fully
operational.

Last edited:
So, if I may ask for the grossly uninformed like myself, lol.

Will the street still base a "miss" or "beat for Q1 off of projections from last quarter's earnings letter, or will they take into account the fact that basically the entire globe went on economic shutdown due to a little germ that will go nameless? Seems like the shorts and naysayers would chomp at the bit to make stupid allegations like screaming that demand is down or that the factories can't produce, etc.

Just wanting to know what to expect...although I am pretty sure I know how the media will run with ANY numbers Tesla may release.

Dan
Pretty sure it will be an indication of the early damage that covid-19 has cost. If it appears the damage is minimal then that might be a positive. Regardless, most analyst are assuming the auto industry will get destroyed by this. When Ford and GM eventually release their numbers it will be apparent how much of a toll this took.

I think analyst are struggling with Tesla right now because
oil is down = low gas price
Solar typically dips in these markets
Bad economy = low new car purchases
location of Factory makes it susceptible to a shut down of production

I believe these are all weighing on Tesla’s current evaluation. But these are temporary markers.
There will be plenty of investors ready to pick Tesla up when the climate changes

7300 is the int term floor....we breach it and were headed for long term bear level, which will be very ugly.

Tried to tell you guys at 7300 we will bounce!...sometimes I do feel like I am talking to myself lol.

Now lets see if 7300 holds..it needs to., otherwise TSLA will breach 500 level and will get ugly...if 7300 holds, TSLA still in a bull.

Not even a week ago.

• Disagree
Reactions: Snerruc
Would market makers shorting to hedge puts they sold be called "naked" ?
Yeah, that's 2 separate issues. "Naked" short selling just means selling the share short without first locating it.

Think of naked short selling like a Real Estate Broker selling your house, but before they know who you are, if you even own a house, and definately without your knowledge or permission. Then getting 13 days to find another cheaper, crappy house to replace the one they sold without owing. Yeah.

So the SEC changed their long standing prohibition against naked short selling in 2007/08, by giving Market Makers an exemption allowing them to conduct naked short selling.

This change has worked well for Market Makers. Investors, not so much.