Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Exactly. There is some chance that with the CARES act they will get more unemployment than their wage was especially in Reno.
A negative consequence that they might not rush back to work once the factory reopens except one possible benefit against all harm from the recession, depression or whatever comes is that hiring in Reno will be easier.
It's been a while since I had any direct involvement with unemployment benefits and terms of qualification but back in the day, you had to show evidence that you were making an effort to find employment. The company that laid off the employee was responsible for a share of that benefit when I had my own business in the 80's.
That being said, it would behoove GF1 or Fremont to report employees that were offered a job, equal or better than what they had before being laid off and refused to come back and remain unemployed. This should stop their benefits and Tesla's liability in the matter. What they (employee refusing to take a job offered) would be doing goes against the principle of what unemployment insurance was intended and if caught, I wouldn't want someone with that level of scruples and morals on my team anyway.

The “free payroll” stuff in the CARES package is shaping up to be comedy - I know a guy who works at a small (less than $1bil) hedge fund with about 20 people. They’re doing OK performance-wise, down a bit for 2020, but they’re applying because, in his words, “Why the hell not? We’re a small business and have less than 100 people lolz!”

The banks seem to have no idea what to make of it yet and I think the pool will only have $300mm to offer, so it’ll be interesting to see who gets it and who won’t.

Small Tesla suppliers? A random hedge fund? Who needs it more?

Yeah, if you’re doing ok then wth are you doing applying? Scumbags.

Yeah, if you’re doing ok then wth are you doing applying? Scumbags.
It’s hard for most people to accept that there are individuals with absolutely no moral compass and whose motto in life is "me, above all else". But they certainly do exist. Borderline sociopaths.

It may please our feline users that Raven S&X gets a new cheetah launch mode:

green on Twitter

cheetah.jpeg

It's been a while since I had any direct involvement with unemployment benefits and terms of qualification but back in the day, you had to show evidence that you were making an effort to find employment. The company that laid off the employee was responsible for a share of that benefit when I had my own business in the 80's.
That being said, it would behoove GF1 or Fremont to report employees that were offered a job, equal or better than what they had before being laid off and refused to come back and remain unemployed. This should stop their benefits and Tesla's liability in the matter. What they (employee refusing to take a job offered) would be doing goes against the principle of what unemployment insurance was intended and if caught, I wouldn't want someone with that level of scruples and morals on my team anyway.

CARES makes all that irrelevant as it removes the requirement to seek work while obtaining unemployment benefits. It's tailored to the needs of the current lockdown.

On an OT side note, I consider myself a very principled person. However, the rewards of the economy have shifted so far to the top 1% while the tax burden has shifted to the middle/bottom 30-90% at the same time that healthcare has gotten worse and health insurance more expensive, so much so that the wage earners are basically indentured servants. I would have no qualms about a laid-off worker falsifying their search for work (assuming CARES didn't remove the work-search requirement) or doing whatever it took to serve their best financial interest (or avoiding low-paying work in an industry with unacceptable health risks). The powers to be look the other way at white-collar system abuses measured in millions and billions of dollars (cue @Artful Dodger) , it would hypocritical to punish a worker for looking out for the best interests of their family and themself, even if it meant going outside the legal framework of their unemployment benefits. There has been an all-out war against the workers that was waged by the investment class (at least the most vocal and activist amongst us) and I don't need to tell you who won and who lost. It's tearing apart the fabric of society that made capitalism great. The pendulum has swung too far to the right based on nothing more than FUD. It's like the commie-scare of the 1950's that ultimately failed due to true American ideals shinning through was re-messaged and re-packaged to be delivered over the TV and the Internet and it worked. And the workers lost. And America lost.

It appears the Mods-from-Hell have driven them off, but I've not been on the site as much of late either.

Without their informative content, there's not as much reason to return here.

One would think the Mods would know that . . . and invite them back with apologies for having driven them off, no?

I've been on other EV forums with Karen more than 15 years ago, she is a great contributor. I've been a moderator on several EV forums. The moderation style I have experienced here is unlike anything I have ever encountered anywhere. IMO there is at least one mod here that should be removed. The level of maturity and objectivity is really bad. Just saying something like this can get you warned, banned, etc. The best part is your post will be deleted to insure no one can see the history trail. Many people leave TMC and many will for this very reason, pretty unfortunate. Yes this site will continue to degrade in quality if this persists but perhaps not quantity. Karen leaving this site says volumes about this forums culture. There are also many lurkers that never post here for this very reason, very intelligent industry professionals and others.

green on Twitter <- video inside

Local media loves sentry mode videos. Soon they'll be able to show those videos from inside the Tesla.
Once again shows the next level sugar Tesla can do with its software. This sentry video browser looks very good and performant.

And the launch mode for Raven Performance cars got smarter. It lowers the front suspension and adjusts the damping:
green on Twitter

Something very important to remember, even though the hardware production is stopped for now, the IMO even more important software development can very likely go on without major holdups.

Some here could extend their catch phrase with "...and the software, Stupid!)" ;)

apr00teslas.jpg

Today I visited some nearby neighborhoods to discover lots of Teslas I've never seen before, many with the paper license plates of new vehicles. In previous years, you'd see widely spaced Teslas, owing to the early adopter stage of the Tesla phenomenon. Now I'm seeing more and more Teslas picked up by next door neighbors. My next door neighbor just bought one. It's fair to say that we've entered the community spread stage of the Tesla expansion. Other vehicle makers, be afraid, be very afraid.

View attachment 529273

Today I visited some nearby neighborhoods to discover lots of Teslas I've never seen before, many with the paper license plates of new vehicles. In previous years, you'd see widely spaced Teslas, owing to the early adopter stage of the Tesla phenomenon. Now I'm seeing more and more Teslas picked up by next door neighbors. My next door neighbor just bought one. It's fair to say that we've entered the community spread stage of the Tesla expansion. Other vehicle makers, be afraid, be very afraid.

Electricity is crazy expensive in Hawaii too. AP is perfect for the crowded freeways

View attachment 529273

In these times, I can't help wonder what the R0 value of Tesla is.

green on Twitter <- video inside

Local media loves sentry mode videos. Soon they'll be able to show those videos from inside the Tesla.
Once again shows the next level sugar Tesla can do with its software. This sentry video browser looks very good and performant.

Oh, man! This is huge! Watch the dashcam and Sentry Mode videos from the comfort of your car! This will drive sales of new Teslas like nothing else as owners demonstrate this feature to friends, families and co-workers. Can you imagine GM, Ford or Toyota doing this? I can - in about 10 years, LOL! This is what I love about Tesla - the good news just keeps coming. And it really makes all the whiners and people complaining that the *free of charge*, *added after the purchase*, Sentry Mode software was crap because it couldn't be viewed on the center screen look like real fools and tools!

90% of the value of Tesla is due to the software that makes it all work and this development continues unabated! Tesla's lead over the competition continues to grow to the point that it makes those who speak of the competition as "catching up" look foolish. I'm beginning to wonder if they will ever truly catch up.

View attachment 529273

Love the “Community Spread Stage of Tesla”.

Anybody else selling puts at 400 and 350 levels? I’ve been doing it for the last couple of weeks and so far it’s working out well.

I would be cautious with that in the near-term. If we don't hear more good news soon, TSLA share price is likely to suffer some in the coming weeks. It looks like we are at the start of another bear-attack in my humble opinion. Lacking good news it wouldn't surprise me to visit the $300's again before the next booster is ignited. Being long the shares without margin is a lot safer here than selling puts for additional shares you can't afford. If you are willing to buy the shares at the exercise price, that could be very profitable. But it's an uncertain way to build a position if you don't already have one.

I would be cautious with that in the near-term. If we don't hear more good news soon, TSLA share price is likely to suffer some in the coming weeks. It looks like we are at the start of another bear-attack in my humble opinion. Lacking good news it wouldn't surprise me to visit the $300's again before the next booster is ignited. Being long the shares without margin is a lot safer here than selling puts for additional shares you can't afford. If you are willing to buy the shares at the exercise price, that could be very profitable. But it's an uncertain way to build a position if you don't already have one.

I am willing to buy the shares at those prices. Thanks for the advice.

I have about $44k of dry powder. Instead of waiting for the SP to drop to $440, I sold a weekly cash covered $455 put for $1,500. I hope this is a responsible way to get 100 shares. I can wait for the stock price to drop but I rather take an active approach. Maybe it will, maybe it won't. If it won't, I'll pocket the $1,500 and fish again the week after.