Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This one is a head scratcher. Companies choose to not use Tesla's patents because they don't want to give up theirs as well? Like what are they afraid of, Tesla going to find out how you make all the panels gapless? Or perhaps Tesla will look at that "technology" and find you are not better than they are?

Just a guess but doesn't patents have a value in the annual report? Intellectual property or something? Like some GM patent for their engines is booked at $XX millions. So to give them away would result in a paper loss for them.

I would be very surprised if they are not considered having some value. For some companies (medicine comes to mind) most of their value can come from patents.

Tesla gave away their patents so early that they had little value at the time.

• Disagree
Reactions: Steve m
When phones switched primarily over to cellphones, almost the entire lineup of top phone manufacturers changed.

Then it happened again when cellphones gave way to Smartphones.

EVs taking over ICE will be no different. There is very little knowledge base overlap between ICe vehicles and EVs by value add. Skills at making reliable piston engines and transmissions are useless.
Same thing happened with cameras. Film, followed by digital, swallowed by Smart phones. Kodak? Kodak? Where have I heard that before (might be a good name for a retro rock band now)?

Actually smart phones include SO many capabilities now that you might as well call them tricorders. Actually using it as a phone is just one of 100's of functions. I call mine an "information appliance" because that's primarily what I use it for... it's wild that if my mind wanders in the middle of the night and I'm curious about something, I can just ask my IA(?) and she answers... in an Australian accent no less!

Teslas are almost like smart phones on wheels, a Swiss army car if you will. And it's capabilities have only started. Soon they will be able to do things we can't even imagine yet.

What a wild company we all own a small part of. And hold on, it's only just begun!

*TESLA BACKTRACKS FROM RECALLING SOME WORKERS TO PLANT THIS WEEK

It’s interesting to me that this caused no change in SP trajectory.

A year+ ago this would have moved SP a percent at least.

Also, I apologize for the people posting “disagree” after you posted your bloomie. Thank you for the info.

If you voted disagree from somebody posting their bloomie then you’re just discouraging good information and harming this group far worse than off topic posts do.

Or replace this now-discouraged forum member and you buy the bloomie and share.

if the increase in capital required to manipulate or short helps us as LT holders, than i’ll take it. i’ll happily pay up for options if we are a bit more insulated.

but i’m not sure that’s the case...it hasn’t been in the run from 450-980-450-790 yet, just in the last 4 months

Good shout. It does seem like many brokers allow fractional shares long, but do not allow fractional shares short. I imagine that would actually have somewhat of a insulating effect.

Guess I'll just have to save up for my first option :D

Also, I apologize for the people posting “disagree” after you posted your bloomie. Thank you for the info.

If you voted disagree from somebody posting their bloomie then you’re just discouraging good information and harming this group far worse than off topic posts do.

In fairness to the disagree'ers.....it gets annoying to see these clickbait articles. Tesla was having some employees come back Wednesday to setup safety protocol for resuming production I assume the following week when the lockdown was to have expired(though now isn't?). This article makes it sound like they were gonna restart production and have now reversed course, when in fact this is likely a couple handfuls of people who won't be doing prep until next week.

Or maybe not. I guess it's can be best to just see all the "news" then weed out the nonsense.

Good shout. It does seem like many brokers allow fractional shares long, but do not allow fractional shares short. I imagine that would actually have somewhat of a insulating effect.

Guess I'll just have to save up for my first option :D
Call debit spreads can be a good way to buy into options on the cheap also. Your upside is limited but so is your loss.

• Helpful
Reactions: willow_hiller

To elaborate on the first point of this not impacting sp trajectory:

Bloomberg pays writers for share price movement of accurate breaking news reaching their sub based terminals faster than the rest of the investing public.

Tesla has been especially vulnerable to these movements because it is a highly manipulated stock.

The non-movement tells me either:

1. The stock is coming under control

Or

2. The people manipulating have other things to deal with during this period of investing.

Either way this is very good.

When phones switched primarily over to cellphones, almost the entire lineup of top phone manufacturers changed.

Then it happened again when cellphones gave way to Smartphones.

EVs taking over ICE will be no different. There is very little knowledge base overlap between ICe vehicles and EVs by value add. Skills at making reliable piston engines and transmissions are useless.

It's not just stubbornness or shortsightedness that did them in, or will do in the ICE manufacturers. They really do have very little choice or recourse in the matter. In both instances, they've got too much invested in infrastructure, systems, logistics, expertise, machinery, and R&D that are dead ends / worthless / not applicable to the new paradigm. It's not that they don't WANT to steer the barge in a different direction. They literally can't. Or at least, not in time to make a difference.

Rest at base camp 3 before pushing on to the summit.

I don't like that analogy, simply because it implies there's a summit. ;-)

sadly, i bet those downvotes wouldn't have been there if he'd posted linkless, unsubstantiated positive news.

Lol, stock did go down exactly $10, or -1.4%

The disagrees aren't posting the info, its posting it with no context or even mentioning a source. Smaks of FUD. Backfilling the info 15+ min later is not helpful, its embarassing.

WE DON'T NEED THAT.

In fairness to the disagree'ers.....it gets annoying to see these clickbait articles. Tesla was having some employees come back Wednesday to setup safety protocol for resuming production I assume the following week when the lockdown was to have expired(though now isn't?). This article makes it sound like they were gonna restart production and have now reversed course, when in fact this is likely a couple handfuls of people who won't be doing prep until next week.

Or maybe not. I guess it's can be best to just see all the "news" then weed out the nonsense.

Yes, but even if 100% false news (but accurate terminal info which op provided), knowing what is on a terminal before the rest of the news gets it is highly valuable to us. That person deserves respect not shame.

The disagrees aren't posting the info, its posting it with no context or even mentioning a source. Smaks of FUD. Backfilling the info 15+ min later is not helpful, its embarassing.

WE DON'T NEED THAT.

I feel it’s in its trajectory. I will dig up and edit this posts with actual fud that did actual damage shortly. One moment.

Most importantly, the op provided bloomie results. It’s just a data point. It’s not like the op was spreading fud. It was actual data actual other traders could have acted on.

WE DON'T NEED THAT.
I noticed a dive from $791 to $783 when this Bloomberg issue came up.

Actually using it as a phone is just one of 100's of functions. I call mine an "information appliance" because that's primarily what I use it for... it's wild that if my mind wanders in the middle of the night and I'm curious about something, I can just ask my IA(?) and she answers... in an Australian accent no less!
I'd be afraid of being picketed by the dyslexic crowd. IA AI

Yes, but even if 100% false news (but accurate terminal info which op provided), knowing what is on a terminal before the rest of the news gets it is highly valuable to us. That person deserves respect not shame.
Not if he doesn't even mention the words "Bloomberg Terminal", or provide a timestamp.

This is stonk pron at the very best, more likely worse.

Reactions: Jovian

The sort of person who reflexively downvotes on the Internet is not the sort of person who can afford the Bloomberg Terminal.

I noticed a dive from $791 to $783 when this Bloomberg issue came up.

As photos show there was an uptick in volume but also that we stayed inside the current channel.

This is bullish to me.

It shows ineffectiveness of manipulation, likely the direct result of the reduction in short interest and convictions of those holding those positions. Retail traders do not act on bloomies.

It shows the bulls in control of the narrative and share price.

This should aggregate as if these activities cease making money why continue doing them aggressively?

If we left the channel and dropped down I would have different words.

Attachments

• 853DFC31-8197-457F-AB02-42818D0FB509.png
    853DFC31-8197-457F-AB02-42818D0FB509.png
    308.1 KB · Views: 78
  • B170A1CC-27C6-4C0B-86CB-43951CC65617.jpeg
    B170A1CC-27C6-4C0B-86CB-43951CC65617.jpeg
    35.4 KB · Views: 63
Given your observation maybe you should be thankful someone posted the headline as it hit the wire rather than waiting for the article that followed 2 minutes later?
Maybe if you SAID where it came from, and when, people wouldn't automatically assume you're full of *sugar*...

15 min later doesn't help. Why did you post? To aggrandize yourself, or to provide credible information? Because what you posted was NOT CREDIBLE.

Maybe if you SAID where it came from, and when, people wouldn't automatically assume you're full of *sugar*...

15 min later doesn't help. Why did you post? To agrandize yourself, or to provide credible information? Because what you posted was NOT CREDIBLE.

Fair point for sure. The syntax caught my eye then the following reply from the op was nice.

I’m not sure the rules of re-posting bloomies so I can’t encourage anybody to dictate to us from them.

Reactions: Eugene Ash