Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The greatest challenges in my life are overcoming confirmation bias, and courting cognitive dissonance. Each day I strive to do better and keep an open mind. I wish that I were doing better.

Particularly when it comes to TSLA. The ability to discern signal from noise will enrich lives. Over the years I’ve watched as Elon Musk and the people at Tesla Motors have delivered innovation, invention, and ingenuity time and time again. Driving my Tesla for the past two years has only added to my confirmation bias; making it tougher and tougher to objectively entertain arguments from the loyal opposition.

I just finished the book “Angels and Ages” by Adam Gopnik.” An oft told story of Abraham Lincoln and Charles Darwin — two men coincidently born on the same day. Mr. Gopnik’s treatise centered on the writing skills of each man. Both Lincoln and Darwin have gone down in history as giants; both men writing on the most divisive, partisan issues of humanity. Both men eloquently and objectively presenting the case of their adversaries while persuasively presenting opposing arguments of great sense.

I’m not suggesting we hold hands and sing Kumbaya. I am saying we need a better class of arguments. A little more scientific method and a little less rhetoric.

The greatest challenges in my life are overcoming confirmation bias, and courting cognitive dissonance. Each day I strive to do better and keep an open mind. I wish that I were doing better.

Particularly when it comes to TSLA. The ability to discern signal from noise will enrich lives. Over the years I’ve watched as Elon Musk and the people at Tesla Motors have delivered innovation, invention, and ingenuity time and time again. Driving my Tesla for the past two years has only added to my confirmation bias; making it tougher and tougher to objectively entertain arguments from the loyal opposition.

I just finished the book “Angels and Ages” by Adam Gopnik.” An oft told story of Abraham Lincoln and Charles Darwin — two men coincidently born on the same day. Mr. Gopnik’s treatise centered on the writing skills of each man. Both Lincoln and Darwin have gone down in history as giants; both men writing on the most divisive, partisan issues of humanity. Both men eloquently and objectively presenting the case of their adversaries while persuasively presenting opposing arguments of great sense.

I’m not suggesting we hold hands and sing Kumbaya. I am saying we need a better class of arguments. A little more scientific method and a little less rhetoric.

This book is my humble recommendation, especially in the age of misinformation.

A Field Guide to Lies: Critical Thinking with Statistics and the Scientific Method
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WYV9LMN/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_apa_i_X6ISEbCGZRKBR

Definition of Long and short is not basic? Is It Ever Wrong to Go Long, Investors?

He does not need my defense. I just feel you are holding other people to some standard you can't even match recently, which is the quality of the the posts. Read your last 20 posts.

I already hinted why his posts are valuable by giving at least two points in my previous posts but you refuse to read between the lines. Sorry if the fact you refuse to read and learn is really putting the screws to me.

When did I say you are the bad guy? I just feel the collapse of this valuable discussion thread and want to try to keep people by asking you not to attack another long.

So when I asked him to define his stated time frames that he just obviously randomly threw out there (because nobody in their right mind thinks several weeks means 1 trading day) and you told me that when he says long it means bullish, you were making it up?

Now the definitions of long and short are basic? Maybe you want to help him out then because one of you doesn’t actually know.

And now I’m the bad guy for asking straight forward questions and putting the screws to you and him a bit to back up your words with some semblance of reason and logic? Ok, I can live with that but you don’t get off the hook.

I didn’t really expect you to be able to tell me what you found valuable or insightful based on his Friday and Monday postings being polar opposite declarations, because the definitions of valuable and insightful are basic.

Again, love his enthusiasm but he’s a gambler not an investor.

Reactions: RandomJohnny

This reminds me of one of my favorite TED talk on why we argue.
For argument's sake

Aside from my immediate preferences for Warren and Bernie, I was a fan of Inslee and early on floated his candidacy only to get some flack from Washington residents, but if I recall, mostly for other candidates. If I recall, he is a rather large man but fit. I wanted to see Trump out staged in debate as he tried to do by hounding Hillary with his girth.

I can't wait to see Trump and Biden on a debate stage. Highest ratings ever. Will Trump mock Biden when he can't put together a coherent thought? Can Biden hang? Who is the better liar? Who has the better scandals? Will Biden threaten to take it outside? It is only live sports in town, literally.

TIAT

California Coronavirus: 58,619 Cases and 2,375 Deaths - Worldometer

4th May - California - 1,320 new cases Alameda 27 new cases
5th May - California - 2,530 new cases Alameda 33 new cases

This is just 2 days worth of data but new cases are not trending down as I hoped.

That could simply be improved testing and tracking.

Most of the increase in new cases for 5th May is in Los Angeles.

I'll keep tracking the trend, a sustained drop in new case numbers will help the case for opening Fremont.,

Turns out more people have coronavirus when you test more people for it ;)

What makes you assume that from his tweet? He didn't validate anything Gali was speculating about, just gave a vague general statement.

Don’t like this speculation on Twitter by Gali, and the way he is asking for confirmation by Elon.

Let Elon tell the story he wants to tell, in his way, and on his timeline.

Definition of Long and short is not basic? Is It Ever Wrong to Go Long, Investors?

He does not need my defense. I just feel you are holding other people to some standard you can't even match recently, which is the quality of the the posts. Read your last 20 posts.

I already hinted why his posts are valuable by giving at least two points in my previous posts but you refuse to read between the lines. Sorry if the fact you refuse to read and learn is really putting the screws to me.

When did I say you are the bad guy? I just feel the collapse of this valuable discussion thread and want to try to keep people by asking you not to attack another long.

Yup, this is basically what the silent majority thinks in the nicest way possible. Call me a troll or short seller or whatever I could care less. If calling out and exposing your hypocrisy is being a troll then so be it. The whole short seller crap is such bologna anyways. I've seen the care bear/short posts over the years and I know what they look like too. I think the funniest part about it is you all think you have some kind of share percentage that matters to move the stock. Give me a break. There may be some people that come here with that purpose but it is kinda pointless. You censor them out too which is just a horrible idea because some of us actually like to hear some of their wild theories. Based on your behavior after Elon's tweets last week they don't need to do anything. You do it to yourselves.

Ignore me if you don't like it. Not my problem. But don't be all passive aggressive and tell me first. Just do it.

• Disagree
Reactions: StealthP3D
California Coronavirus: 58,619 Cases and 2,375 Deaths - Worldometer

4th May - California - 1,320 new cases Alameda 27 new cases
5th May - California - 2,530 new cases Alameda 33 new cases

This is just 2 days worth of data but new cases are not trending down as I hoped.

That could simply be improved testing and tracking.

Most of the increase in new cases for 5th May is in Los Angeles.

I'll keep tracking the trend, a sustained drop in new case numbers will help the case for opening Fremont.,
Seeing similar trend in Illinois. I believe it is testing. A month ago almost all known cases were due to hospitalization. Now more cases are due to testing, but I haven’t seen hospitalization rates for new cases. We’re taken down field hospitals at McCormick place and another one, so I think total cases are trending the right way. Unfortunately we don’t have contact tracing scaled up or testing of all frontline people on a daily or even weekly basis. And we don’t have enough random testing to get better overall infected and infection rates.
regardless, I think Elon will get his way and open by the 11th or 18th

Seeing similar trend in Illinois. I believe it is testing. A month ago almost all known cases were due to hospitalization. Now more cases are due to testing, but I haven’t seen hospitalization rates for new cases. We’re taken down field hospitals at McCormick place and another one, so I think total cases are trending the right way. Unfortunately we don’t have contact tracing scaled up or testing of all frontline people on a daily or even weekly basis. And we don’t have enough random testing to get better overall infected and infection rates.
regardless, I think Elon will get his way and open by the 11th or 18th

What I am now doing is gathering the data each day, but I will not post until I have at least 10 days worth, or perhaps not at all.
I still think if we are patient enough, a clear trend will emerge.
More testing an tracking now should mean fewer cases in future.

• Helpful
Reactions: dc_h
I can't wait to see Trump and Biden on a debate stage. Highest ratings ever. Will Trump mock Biden when he can't put together a coherent thought? Can Biden hang? Who is the better liar? Who has the better scandals? Will Biden threaten to take it outside? It is only live sports in town, literally.

TIAT

I don't think debate will be part of the campaign, if the election is held. I think the economy and Covid-19 will lead to martial law and that's Trump's strategic goal. Abolishing the Covid-19 task force is but one of the latest outrages that will be counter productive. It has seemed strange to me that this fascist movement has not been marked by much violence so far. Now with the courts packed by a hard core supporters of the bizarre interpretation of the Second Amendment, we have a white unregulated militia set to do the work of the brown shirts of the last century in Germany and Italy. Just look at the scrimmages being run in Michigan and elsewhere. Lies work; violence too.

Jefferson said, "I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just; that his justice cannot sleep forever."

Edit: That won't work in California after the Black Panthers showed up one day with assault rifles in the gallery of the State Senate. They did make their point so the law was added. Crossbows and arrows, swords? I don't know.

Last edited: