Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That was written into the CEO compensation plan 2.5 yrs ago. Elon must remain as CEO or Chief Product Officer for 10 yrs in order for his share options to vest.

Tesla’s Elon Musk May Have Boldest Pay Plan in Corporate History | NYTimes.com

Not exactly. The award plan is active for ten years, and he must remain as CEO (or Exec Chair and CPO) for each tranche to be vested, and he must have been employed by Tesla in the previous year to exercise a vested tranche; however, the five year share holding period is not contingent on continued employment.
https://ir.tesla.com/static-files/55362f0a-ee8a-4fcc-ba11-cc09194974b6
ElonComp.PNG

That was written into the CEO compensation plan 2.5 yrs ago. Elon must remain as CEO or Chief Product Officer for 10 yrs in order for his share options to vest.

Tesla’s Elon Musk May Have Boldest Pay Plan in Corporate History | NYTimes.com
Well, press conferences for one thing are going to be really difficult when he's living on Mars, since it can take up to 22 minutes to get a message to and from there... knowing Elon though he'll probably find a way to fix that too by then...

Yep, Tesla investors have nothing to fear here. It's good for the market to be comparing Tesla and Nikola. I am confident that most investors will appreciate what Tesla has accomplished already and what challenges lie ahead for Nikola.

In my view, the biggest miscalculation that Nikola is making is that hydrogen-battery hybrids only make sense if there is no way for the economics and performance of batteries to improve. So every advance of batteries makes hydrogen obsolete and a little less competitive.

So fine, let investors buy up those NKLA shares. I expect Nikola will evolve to offer BEVs only or fail. Of course, other's could argue that hydrogen tech will also gain efficiencies with scale too. Indeed, Nikola has placed such a large order for electrolyzers from Nel that is it singlehandedly driving the cost of electrolyzers down about a half to $350/kW. This has enormous value for enabling a cost effective low carbon economy (even if no road vehicles use hydrogen in the sustainable future). So some of Nikola's hydrogen investments could payoff even if all of there vehicles become BEVs. Heck, even Elon will need cheap electrolyzers to get home from mars. So technological competition is a good thing, and Nikola could find its way in the long run.

Anyway, as a Tesla investor, I don't feel threatened by Nikola in the least.

Technically Nikola's plan is to start with a battery only Class 8 truck so good chance they just end up being a BEV truck manufacture.

Reactions: jhm and MP3Mike
I absolutely detest when the things we post here get turned into clickbait...

At 8 AM this morning I post the news about the Model Y being available for referral rewards, and now at Noon, Fred from Electrek publishes an article titled "Tesla adds Model Y to referral program, surprising move indicating weak demand."

How hard is it for a journalist to avoid putting opinion in the headline? "Tesla adds Model Y to referral program" is factual; "surprising move indicating weak demand" is speculative BS. And then Fred has the gumption to add his referral link at the bottom of the page.

Fred in peak misleading mode.

To add on to his article the other day where he clearly changed the tone and meaning of that internal email to make it sound like there were serious problems with Model Y ramp, he just put out a new article about the Model Y being added to the referral program. Which I'm pretty sure at this point Fred just combs through this forum to get his articles.

Anyways, Fred took what someone wrote on here and completely left out the part that Elon had already stated in the past that the Model Y was always planning on adding it to the referral program once production get ramped. Instead Fred uses the entire article as fear mechanism about Model Y demand because he knows that'll get him clicks. Here's an idea Fred......Tesla is actually much higher in production rates on the Model Y than people(especially you) can imagine.

I love how Fred claims he's a Tesla shareholder, of which I wouldn't be surprised if he own just 1 shares in order to be able to say that :rolleyes:

Either Fred is in dire need of clicks and thus willing to portray that there's serious problems at Tesla or he is not smart enough to think beyond anything is a demand worry.

Ah darn Willow you beat me lol

Are you confused with Steve Jobs? Because that's exactly Steve Jobs did.
No, I was not even thinking of Jobs. It is quite obvious that Musk loves to start new companies. Some would argue that he has always been more interested in SpaceX. As Tesla scales up, it could prove boring to him, and not "Boring" in a good way. How energized will Musk be leading Tesla from build 11.7 million vehicles in one year to 13.4 million the next year? Plenty of other CEOs would be happy to jump at that chance for a tenth of the money, and it does not really require an Elon to make it happen.

I don't have a twitter account but when Q2 numbers get announced, if Tesla surprises everyone with the amount of Model Y's they made in Q2, I'll gladly make a twitter account to troll Fred as much as I can to call him out on his BS. Sure Fred will block me within hours because he's insecure but I'll be content with those couple of hours ;)

Just unbelievable unprofessional journalism. He should just call Electrek a blog because it's really just one guys opinion most of the time.

Technically Nikola's plan is to start with a battery only Class 8 truck so good chance they just end up being a BEV truck manufacture.
The Badger pickup is a hydrogen-battery hybrid. But yeah, even the hybrid Class 8 has a massive battery in it, IIRC 350kWh. So they will be quite aware of the advances in batteries. I think the sooner they see their way past hydrogen, the less costly the diversion will be for them. The market is wide open for BEVs.

Lol, if Elon's plan vests, by 2028 TSLA will be closing in on a trillion in market cap and $5k/share. I think you're over-thinking this 'problem'.

Cheers!
The question was put to me to identify a scenario in which Musk might behave in a way that could be damaging to the Tesla brand that is too strongly linked to the Elon brand. When you think seriously about risks, you have to be willing to consider possibilities that you think are not so likely. I don't think it is "over-thinking" to challenge one's assumptions in this way.

For one example, shareholders do need to contemplate what value could be lost if Musk ever decides he's done with Tesla. CEOs can be replaced. But the Tesla brand could take a big hit since it is so strongly linked to Elon's personal brand. The scenario gets worse, if Musk decides he wants to redeploy his Tesla capital into some new endeavor. So what would shareholders need to offer him to convince him to stay put at Tesla when his heart is somewhere else? The Elon brand is possibly his largest bargaining chip.

I don’t think that’s a concern.

We know he’s going to leave Tesla when he heads to Mars and he’s taking his money with him - that’s a few years away, but it’ll be telegraphed. And by that time there will have long since been a replacement being groomed - a son perhaps as I believe this turns into a family empire.

Regardless, Tesla will be much bigger by then. The SP more stable. It won’t be the same as now.

Try again.

Anyways, Fred took what someone wrote on here and completely left out the part that Elon had already stated in the past that the Model Y was always planning on adding it to the referral program once production get ramped. Instead Fred uses the entire article as fear mechanism about Model Y demand because he knows that'll get him clicks. Here's an idea Fred......Tesla is actually much higher in production rates on the Model Y than people(especially you) can imagine.

You may disagree with Fred's take on the reason behind Tesla's inclusion of the Model Y to the referral program, but your suggestion also doesn't really add up with the news from yesterday -- the leaked email from Elon.

So we have a situation where:
1. Elon informs his manufacturing team that the Model Y production needs to ramp up and the number of rectifications needs to be minimised, which indicates they're not where they want to be in terms of production rate, and
2. The Model Y is added to the referral program, indicating that the current rate of demand -- at least on the West Coast, given we're currently quite late in the quarter -- is below the production rate.

Weak demand is a reasonable conclusion. It may not be the correct one, but it is reasonable based on what we know. Again, it may simply be weak demand for the specific Model Y version (incl. wheels, body color) they're producing now, in the geography in which they have a good chance of delivering this quarter, but it's not completely unreasonable. People are just now starting to get back to work in many cases, some people may still need to figure out if there is a job waiting for them at the end of the lockdown, and so financial concerns are a major factor for many families; as such, it's possible some reservations are not transformed into orders right away.

How hard is it for a journalist to avoid putting opinion in the headline?
redFay's no journalist. He's a blogger, from a click-bait website.

I'll gladly make a twitter account to troll Fred

redFAy blocks anyone on Twitter who questions his practices

Weak demand is a reasonable conclusion. It may not be the correct one, but it is reasonable based on what we know.

You don't 'know' anything about demand for Model Y in Q2. Blog posts full of inuendo and misleading headlines do not constitute knowledge. They are a bunch of targeted hit jobs, purposefuly engineered to create a media narrative. No one 'knows', outside of Tesla.

At the same time, it's not really a stretch to assume that adding the Y to the referral program is an effort to boost demand. Why else would Tesla make this move?

Why would Tesla leave a single product OUT of the referral program, if it is now in volume production? By your reasoning, Tesla should have removed Model S from the referral program last year when deliveries increased after the introduction of Raven.

Obviously, they did not, because that would be foolish. All their poducts (including solar and powerwall) are in the referral program. But it IS a stretch to assume that adding the Y to the referral program is related to demand.

Last edited:
I don’t think that’s a concern.

We know he’s going to leave Tesla when he heads to Mars and he’s taking his money with him - that’s a few years away, but it’ll be telegraphed. And by that time there will have long since been a replacement being groomed - a son perhaps as I believe this turns into a family empire.

Regardless, Tesla will be much bigger by then. The SP more stable. It won’t be the same as now.

Try again.

Plus we'll all be so filthy rich that we won't give a feck!

How hard is it for a journalist to avoid putting opinion in the headline? "Tesla adds Model Y to referral program" is factual; "surprising move indicating weak demand" is speculative BS. And then Fred has the gumption to add his referral link at the bottom of the page.

It's true that Fred could have left off "surprising move indicating weak demand" out of the headline. However, I find that he usually does a good job of separating factual reporting from the opinion in his pieces, which is why they frequently have and "Electrek's Take" section. At the same time, it's not really a stretch to assume that adding the Y to the referral program is an effort to boost demand. Why else would Tesla make this move? Moreover, this move follows price cuts for S, X, and 3 and a compression of the delivery window for the Y. All this is occurring in the midst of a tremendous slow-down in the global automotive market.

I have no worries about the long term demand for Tesla's products, but there appears to be mounting evidence of at least a meaningful air pocket in demand in North America. Fair? If not, what's the case otherwise?

I neither believe that demand is weak, but as I stated previously, I not sure the current environment, with all the C19 nonsense is beneficial to car sales. In that respect I do think Tesla are less impacted than the rest, but I still think it's a possibility. I may be totally wrong.

On the positive side, if deliveries are good and we can scrape 1 cent profit = S&P500, SP rises, a lot.

On the negative side, deliveries are poor, there's no profit, stock price slides, we load up on more cheap shares, Q3 is a blowout, we enter the S&P500 and are even richer than the positive scenario...