Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Volkswagen in talks with rivals on making operating system for car of the future
Reuters

Volkswagen (VOWG_p.DE) is in talks with rival carmakers about developing an operating system for the car of the future, Christian Senger, its board member responsible for digital services and software, said.
“The operating system is not something that we will control on our own. We will define its core and then quickly include open-source components, to create standards. This will create opportunities for partnerships,” Senger said.

:rolleyes:
VW to develop its own operating system but dodges question about ID.3 software - Electrek

Sorta makes it look like a rosey future for Tesla.
And that Tesla got it right when figuring out the framework for software for ev's.
And that the mantra of "Tesla is a tech company not a car company." sound like it is true.
And that TSLA should fare well over the next few years.
By 2025, we want to increase our own share of our cars’ software to 60%

This is incredibly disappointing! VW has basically thrown in the towel and surrendered when they should be going all-in on software (and batteries). I can't believe they actually stated in writing their goal was creating 60% of their own software 5 years from now. What a joke. I can barely imagine where Tesla will be 5 years from now.

Can someone explain why VW would take this huge step backwards? Is it their difficult corporate structure? Culture? Too much brand diversity? Lack of software expertise in Germany?

BTW, SolarCity has acquired and is developing an EV power component supplier business. So they are branching out from power components for solar and batteries to autos. I view this as a positive for an emerging EV supply chain and as a huge addressable market for the inverter maker.

Perhaps the biggest investment theme in my portfolio is that the nexus of solar, battery and EVs will come to dominate energy and auto markets. The addressable market is several 10s of trillions of dollars. So both Tesla and SolarEdge are strong players in this space.
Profitability from EVs and battery storage is clear. When do you believe solar becomes a significant contributor to Tesla's bottom line?

Reactions: willow_hiller

I'm seeing a lot of that sentiment and action. The company I work for, and many more at least in the tech sector, have also taken this action.

I think it's entirely appropriate and a reasonable Federal holiday to add to the calendar. It would make our official US holidays awkwardly timed (Memorial Day in late May, Juneteenth in June, and then Independence Day early in July).

The awkward timing is more a function of how few holidays we have relative to the rest of the world than the actual timing (this will be my company's 10th holiday of the year for US employees; employees I work with in some other countries - seems like they're getting a day or two off for holiday every other week :D)

• Helpful
Reactions: wtlloyd
You might find the "Applying option strategy the wheel" topic down in the unpinned topics interesting to learn more. If you do come visit, I strongly urge you to start at the beginning. Or at least the first page or 2 before jumping to the end. There are assumptions and pointers to outside education that provide an assumed level of knowledge about options.

If you don't already have an options education, my own opinion is you should assume there's a minimum of 30-40 hours of outside education you'll want to do. (Not advice, we all make our own decisions, etc..)

Thanks. I read that thread in it’s entirety the other day.

Reactions: adiggs
Profitability from EVs and battery storage is clear. When do you believe solar becomes a significant contributor to Tesla's bottom line?

I believe that after “Battery Day” Elon will have the tools to multiply the capabilities of solar; The combination of solar and muscular energy storage will empower Tesla’s Master Plan.

Increasing storage density while lowering costs — at the single family residence, multi-family residential, commercial, industrial, and utility levels — will give Tesla the ability to disrupt the utility industry.

The macro-grid (i.e. the US grid) will be replaced by micro-grids (local community grids), and nano-grids (small residential grids).

dang it. I saw it dip to $992 and went and opened my account and set an order to buy at market and by the time I hit execute the stock was back up at 998.50.
Poor poor pitiful me...but I can dream of telling people...I bought all my shares of TSLA when it was 3 digits.
OK Warren (at least he was still rockin' 'til he passed to the next dimension).

Or do you prefer Ronstadt's cover? While she rocked, she left out an important verse... I don't want to talk about it...

I believe that after “Battery Day” Elon will have the tools to multiply the capabilities of solar; The combination of solar and muscular energy storage will empower Tesla’s Master Plan.

Increasing storage density while lowering costs — at the single family residence, multi-family residential, commercial, industrial, and utility levels — will give Tesla the ability to disrupt the utility industry.

The macro-grid (i.e. the US grid) will be replaced by micro-grids (local community grids), and nano-grids (small residential grids).
Agree with you solar is the essential final component, down the line. But for the near-term future, EVs and battery storage will drive Tesla's profits.

Don't forget the regulatory issues with solar. I think Elon has learned going to war against utilities is not a winning strategy. Replacing the macro-grid is a very long-term goal. Unfettered competition in power generation would be great but it's a pipe dream.

Last edited:
Problems fixed, future Model Ys should be better (again, never buy the first year) per his opinion. And yes he is a "happy" Tesla customer.

Be interesting to see Model Y compared to Model 3 sales numbers this quarter. May start to see a trend.

I used to watch him. Once he got the Y the whining started. Nothing major really to moan about but he did. Drama mostly to try being relevant. Very similar to Ben's behavior. Both unfortunate, IMO.

It sounds like you're craving a tweet from Elon commenting on the share price or something. :confused:
I don't have any calls outstanding to lose money on so I'm indifferent to Elon saying something stupid right now.

I used to watch him. Once he got the Y the whining started. Nothing major really to moan about but he did. Drama mostly to try being relevant. Very similar to Ben's behavior. Both unfortunate, IMO.
Agreed. It's the YouTube Click bait formula. Much easier to do that than create real content.

MMs trying to keep a dollar or two buffer below $1k. This thing is wound up tighter than a spring.

I like springs. Springs are good (at least in the context of TSLA share price).

EDIT: There's a tendency when share prices react in either direction, they tend to over react.

EDIT 2: The only down side to all the exuberance I'm seeing around here (in which I'm also partaking) is that this board has looked an awful lot like this in the past near an ATH. There was a believe that THIS time we were going to break out, and then another 3-9 months of dropping back down towards the bottom of the trading range ensued.

So oddly enough, I'd be more confident of a positive break out next week if there was a lot less exuberance around here. But it sure is fun, whichever way it goes.

I wonder if the dropping of the confirmation makes the realized gains of FSD larger. Perhaps if they didn't realize the gains already, they can now?

I also wonder if it's going to be released prior to EOQ. It's got 11 days to beta test.
I wonder about that myself. How they decide when to recognize what is fairly arbitrary, but has to be defensible. Not sure if they have a list of features and have a plan they are sticking to or playing it by ear depending on financials.