Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Zach: "Hey Elon, looks like we're in the green for this quarter by now."
Elon: "Great! Now let's push the guys and try to hit it out of the park, I'm really tired of this no profit if it weren't for the subsidies BS!!"

Naw, I think it's more that he wants to see headlines like "Tesla becomes only profitable major automaker..."

UGH... I'm so tempted to by FSD on my Model X just to support 2Q #'s.. but I would hate for it to be all for naught. Therefore, it has to make sense to spend $7k for the actual service.. which idk if I can justify. Thoughts? Encouragement?

Review Elon’s statements regarding FSD, and take in his level of confidence. Watch Jim Keller’s interview regarding FSD, and then consider the resume of each man.

Artificial Intelligence and Neural Nets are above my pay grade; but I’m a pretty fair judge of character.

UGH... I'm so tempted to buy FSD ... Encouragement?
FSD will run you $7K until midnight tomorrow, or $8K after midnight...

If you're worried about FSD getting completed, just know that Elon has never failed to deliver on his promises...

Just ask any of the shortzes, you'll find them on streetcorners everywhere... :p

Cheers!

image.jpeg BLAH BLAH

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    65.3 KB · Views: 67
Is this at all a correct way to compare the numbers? I know it's way simplified but still.

Last quarter with 88k cars sold gave a 16 million profit.

This quarter Tesla has roughly 15k 'free' cars each giving around 10k in profit. So that's a 150 million better than last quarter right there.

Everything else equal, which it obviously won't be, that means FCA and other credits could be 166 million less than last quarter if deliveries are around 88k

If so a profitable quarter seems very likely.

Review Elon’s statements regarding FSD, and take in his level of confidence. Watch Jim Keller’s interview regarding FSD, and then consider the resume of each man.

Artificial Intelligence and Neural Nets are above my pay grade; but I’m a pretty fair judge of character.

Counterpoint- Elon also said FSD would be ready for unaided cross-country driving by end of 2017. (and similar, never coming close to the target, predictions in 2018 and 2019, and likely 2020 (robotaxis and such).

And Keller is a (very very very good) hardware engineer, not an AI/NN guy at all.

I say all the above as someone who bought FSD (with the car, a couple years ago)- but not because I believed any of the "Oh, it'll totally be level 5 any day now!" nonsense.

I did (and still do) think getting to at least L3 or L4 highway was likely and I'm happy enough to let em keep my money if they manage at least that much since 95% of my driving is highway.

Is this at all a correct way to compare the numbers? I know it's way simplified but still.

Last quarter with 88k cars sold gave a 16 million profit.

This quarter Tesla has roughly 15k 'free' cars each giving around 10k in profit. So that's a 150 million better than last quarter right there.

Everything else equal, which it obviously won't be, that means FCA and other credits could be 166 million less than last quarter if deliveries are around 88k

If so a profitable quarter seems very likely.
I think you're double counting. 88k deliveries would already include the 15k of additional inventory from Q1.
To not need the 166 in credits would require 88k +15k deliveries. (All else being equal)

Edit: the COGS for the vehicle follows it and its sale, not the quarter it was built.

These EOQ dashes for "victory" are great for the occasional pop in share price. Not complaining. But it's hard to imagine that these end of qtr games don't take a toll. If the goal is the build-out of sustainable high-volume, high-quality manufacturing output with low defect rates, these seem disruptive: extra wear-and-tear on employees, and higher risk of defects.
Yeah I totally agree./s I mean what the workforce needs is a couple of months off to sit on their asses at home and recover.... maybe a world disaster, a plague, you know something god-like, just to give some people some "me time." /s