Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I get his point, but the difference between missing Delivery goal and missing break-even is huge. If you miss your delivery goal, you miss your delivery goal. If you miss some profits, there's always deferred credits and income you can tap on. Tesla is much more in control this time than it was in Q3 2019. Not apples to apples imo.

Tesla-Heavy $4.6 Billion Actively Managed ETF Has Record Inflows

'Traders put almost $180 million into the Ark Innovation ETF (ARKK) in the five-day period ended Friday, the most since it began trading in 2014, according to data compiled by Bloomberg. That was the actively managed fund’s 17th straight week of inflows.'

Inflows into ARKK means inflows into TSLA..

Yes, but likely no. ARKK can't buy more TSLA unless it makes up less than 10% of the fund. And given the recent performance TSLA is still likely >10% even after this inflow of funds.

Edit: Though as I look at the details it was 9.92% on 6/26, so I guess they could buy a little bit of TSLA, but they don't have to. (~3,600 shares?)

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: wipster
Yes, but likely no. ARKK can't buy more TSLA unless it makes up less than 10% of the fund. And given the recent performance TSLA is still likely >10% even after this inflow of funds.

Edit: Though as I look at the details it was 9.92% on 6/26, so I guess they could buy a little bit of TSLA. (~3,600 shares?)

There's also going to be big outflows coming at funds that are short TSLA if we break solidly above $1000. At some point you start looking like a complete fool being short a stock that keeps making all time highs..

The typical short personalities are flipping out about this email leak haha I can’t tell if they are more angry at Fred, Elon or themselves. Also are they equally surprised as us that Q2 could show a profit or break even...still seems surreal. Hopefully the earnings live up to expectations

I think many of us here have thought that a profit was possible for a while now. Everyone else is just catching up.

Tesla Facts has calculated that inclusion requires the purchase of 52% of float. Combined with shorts covering on 11% of float makes 63%. Squeezy indeed.

The question we now have to ask is who is gonna to sell and when. The price keeps going up until 63% have sold.

Given that the TMC crowd are your average TSLA float owners, I thought I would set up a poll to find out.
What are you going to sell at once the squeeze happens?

I honestly can’t answer that survey. I have no idea, no predetermined number in my head. I’m playing it by ear. Perhaps when I see Tesla slowing down expansion or I have more money than even I can think of how to spend.

I'm just now getting updated since I went out for run right when that email broke. But I feel like that email has more to do with Elon wanting to beat Q2 2019 deliveries than anything else. Like others have mentioned, if Tesla is close, they have a lot of levers they could pull for profitability......But to post year over year growth on deliveries during a pandemic and economic shutdown......:eek:

Last edited:
Elon Musk emails Tesla employees: 'Breaking even is looking super tight' | CNBC

"Key Points"
  • Tesla is expected to report its second quarter vehicle production and deliveries numbers before the 4th of July weekend.
  • On Monday, around noon California time, CEO Elon Musk told employees in an email that promptly leaked: "breaking even is looking super tight."
Here's the email in its entirety, transcribed by CNBC.

Subject: Down to the last few days

To: Everybody

Date: June 29, 2020

Breaking even is looking super tight. Really makes a difference for every car you build and deliver. Please go all out to ensure victory!

Thanks,

Elon​

Last edited:

tenor.gif

Anyone have an estimate on 2Q deliveries required for a good shot at 2Q GAAP profitability?

OK, I put some thought into this... It's 69,000 deliveries. Revenue will come from everywhere, maybe new places for a surprise, so my estimate could be a bit high so to speak. Nonetheless, it's in the bag.

UGH... I'm so tempted to by FSD on my Model X just to support 2Q #'s.. but I would hate for it to be all for naught. Therefore, it has to make sense to spend $7k for the actual service.. which idk if I can justify. Thoughts? Encouragement?
Words of Encouragement; After Thursday....that $7k is a moot point when you will be up $50k :)