Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
See, you are climbing the wall of worry! Markets are weird this way. If you believe what the media writes you can be forgiven for thinking the market tends to respond in a rational manner to a challenge like Coronavirus in such a predictable manner that you can profit from following the progression of the news. It doesn't work like that. Just ask the people who sold at $400 because the sky was falling.

And I don't really believe in "unprecedented" being applied to a pandemic. This is entirely within the bounds of what any thinking person knew was possible. Maybe reserve that term for a large asteroid striking the earth. In which case you have bigger concerns than how your investments are doing!

And to that I would focus in on your use of “any thinking person.” And add that there are perhaps an unprecedented number of non-thinking persons in the highest positions of the current executive branch of the USGov, and quite likely an unprecedented number of non-thinking persons who are, this very weekend, contributing to the rise of a second pandemic wave in the US. The heck with worry walls, this is the new reality and at some point in 2020 it all may impact a so far oblivious stock market.

So what I have gathered is that S&P inclusion is going to be a lot like *the* Short Squeeze; discussed for years and then never really materializes as anticipated. Got it. I'm now prepared for disappointment.

short interest now is less than 9%, compare it to 44% last year. where do you think $13bn of shortzes money go? road to 1000 was paved by blown up accounts of tslaq club.

if that was not a squeeze then I dont know what is.

More expansion at Fremont underway: https://twitter.com/TroyTeslike/status/1279583028965249024?s=20

Here are photos of the new GA4.5 tent next to the GA4 tent. The account that posted the photos says it's OK to reuse. GA4 was built for Model 3 in 2018 & they used it for Y in Q2 2020. GA4.5 should increase Y prod capacity Tesla is also working on GA5 which will be indoors

Another, but different, sprung structure:

EcH7gRqWsAES1o1

Edmunds' Tesla Model Y Performance - test results:
  • Braking: 60-0 mph 108 ft
  • Cornering: 200 ft skid pad 0.95g
  • Acceleration:
    • 0-60 mph 3.4 sec (w. 1 ft rollout)
    • 1/4 mi 11.8 sec @ 115.6 mph
Comment: reports that there is no 'roll-back' of power on repeated full-throttle acceleration runs which occurred w. earlier Tesla models (SRPM in rear of Model Y vs AC induction motors only in pre-Raven Models S/X)

And to that I would focus in on your use of “any thinking person.” And add that there are perhaps an unprecedented number of non-thinking persons in the highest positions of the current executive branch of the USGov, and quite likely an unprecedented number of non-thinking persons who are, this very weekend, contributing to the rise of a second pandemic wave in the US. The heck with worry walls, this is the new reality and at some point in 2020 it all may impact a so far oblivious stock market.

Yes, a second wave may impact the stock market.

What is your strategy to deal with that possibility?

I hope you folks know this well-publicized visit to Tulsa is just PR. It creates the appearance the decision is going down to the wire, shows Tulsa some respect and allows Elon to personally convey his thanks for their strong interest.

Terafactory Austin is a done deal. I assume the announcement will happen no later than Battery Day (or perhaps shortly after the tax abatement is approved by Travis County Commissioners Court).

I hope you folks know this well-publicized visit to Tulsa is just PR. It creates the appearance the decision is going down to the wire, shows Tulsa some respect and allows Elon to personally convey his thanks for their strong interest.

Terafactory Austin is a done deal. I assume the announcement will happen no later than Battery Day (or perhaps shortly after the tax abatement is approved by Travis County Commissioners Court).
Being the runner up is not a bad position to be in for GF5. Sets up Tulsa nicely for the next round of giga factories.

also EM just endorsed Kanye West for president 2020

I'm pretty sure short interest % wasn't five times higher last year..

True. It's gone from ~43M shares to ~15M shares short -- or about 28M shares covered. IMO, we have had the best sort of short squeeze for long-term investors -- a nice, slow release of the downward pressure caused by insane amounts of shorting.

The crazy level of shorting artificially depressed prices, creating years-long buying opportunities, and the steady covering has allowed the share price to rise to a more reasonable level.

Still, 15M shares short is nothing to sneeze at, and the short percent of float remains far above average. This could continue to provide a nice tail wind to push prices up.

One of the most reliable $TSLA patterns is that shorts tend to short when the price is low and cover when it is high. With shorts who are still in the game likely facing margin calls or forced to cover to limit exposure, this should continue absent a reversal of fortunes for Tesla or the market.

short interest now is less than 9%, compare it to 44% last year. where do you think $13bn of shortzes money go? road to 1000 was paved by blown up accounts of tslaq club.

if that was not a squeeze then I dont know what is.

Short interest wasn't 44%, it was ~44M shares.

Shorts and TSLAQ also kept the the SP between $200 and $400 for years. Without them, we might've seen $1,000 sooner actually.

Still, 15M shares short is nothing to sneeze at, and the short percent of float remains far above average. This could continue to provide a nice tail wind to push prices up.

True, but a non-negligible amount of the short interest is due to convert holders.

If I remember correctly, @ReflexFunds did a calculation on this at some point, and suggested 6-7M of the short interest could be attributable to the convert holders.